Head To Head Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton

Edge again to Lewis Hamilton, 3 weekends in a row. However given this is a year of Mercedes 1-2s and it takes 4 race wins to claw back one DNF, I think this championship is going to go to whoever has better luck. To me this is a flaw of the points system because it now rewards reliability vs, wins.

They have been very good mates for a very long time and have a healthy rivalry which goes back to their karting days and days as team-mates. It will take something really stupid to happen to mess that up. Listening to Jenson Button talking about his time with Lewis as his team-mate. their friendship didn't suffer from their rivalry. So far, IMHO, seeing Lewis's and Nico's interactions in Parc Ferme and on the podium I don't expect their friendship, team and competition dynamic to change very much, if at all.

You're not advocating Bernie's medal system are you Batman? The points system has always been to the benefit of a reliable car/driver combo so there is nothing new this season.

No I'm advocating going back the very original F1 points system. or at least the system that was in place in the 1990s.

In the 10-8 system it's 5 races to draw even again and 6 to get in front, so 25-18 is better in that sense. Still, when you have a dominant car and two drivers able to exploit it, one extra retirement either way is a big deal. Not to mention fucking double points...

Under the original system (8,6,4,3,2), you needed 4 races to make up for a DNF
From 1961 through to 1991, it took 3 races (9,6,4,3,2,1) (although DNFs were cancelled out by best X Races)
From 1991-2002, it took 2.5 races to catch up (but the converse was it took 2.5 races to get more than a race win out of reach)
From 2003-2009, it took 5 races, and now we're back to 3.5 races!

A lot of drivers have won championships with 5 wins. If Mercedes' dominance continues it's going to take more than double that - we could have a Mercedes driver matching Vettel's win tally from last year but still being in a tight battle for the championship.

I'll bear no bones about it, I'm a big Hamilton fan, I've been impressed with him since he joined F1 (plus some of his earlier racing on YouTube), notwithstanding his occasional low points. I'm less familiar with Rosberg, although I've always thought he was quick with a lot of potential. With the close racing we'll (hopefuly) have for the rest of the season I wonder if Rosberg has quite the same tough - nasty? - streak as Hamilton. Hamilton defended aggressively but not overly so (unlike our old friend Mark who's been pretty quickly replaced in our minds by young Ricciardo), I wasn't particularly impressed with Rosberg crying over the radio. Anybody have enough experience with Rosberg to say when he hasn't been afraid to stick the boot in to a competitor? Looking to be educated. :goodday:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom