Head To Head Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton

What about tyres, I think that it was a strong argue against who talk about Hamilton like driver with problems with tyre consumption in races

When your car is the class of the field ... your engine is the most fuel economic vs power delivered ... and your only rival ... your team mate is struggling ... if you can't make your tyres last in that situation then you shouldn't be racing ....

Wait until he is 3rd behind an RBR that is holding him for several laps and driving defensively ... with Nico scooting off into the distance ... then we will see how his tyre mgmt is ...

But when comparing last year to this year ... the Merc has gone from being a rubber chewer to a rubber nurturer ... which defintely has assisted both LH and NR ...

What generous praise ZakspeedYakspeed. :whistle:

How come then that Rosberg had tyre problems and higher fuel consumption in the same car? Nobody was holding him up; he wasn't in 3rd place tucked up behind a Red Bull, he had clear air too (created for him by Hamilton). And of course, if he'd wanted to be in Hamilton's enviable race position, he could always have done a better job in Q3.

Of course it's unlikely that every race this season will pan out exactly the same way, but I'd say Lewis won that particular one hands down, fair and square. Wouldn't you?

Chad Stewarthill .... I agree with you ... Lewis had this race won by the end of the first lap ... he had a better set-up than Nico and got to the first corner first and scooted away by a considerable margin second time by ... Lewis drove a race akin to one of the, say 15 or 20, give or take Vettel victories we have seen over the last four seasons ...

As Lewis might even say ... (and has in the past commented on that style of win) as boring and not racing ... but winners are grinners and hats off to him being able to dominate the race ... we might yet hear of a cracked Rosberg chassis though .... :whistle: if he does it again this week .... :please:

If it was Vettel we wouldn't raise an eyebrow. But because the Mercedes have 2 very good drivers, we are over analysing everything they do. This week Hamilton won, last race was Rosbergs. It will take some time to know who is the best driver of this years Mercedes.

Set-up is within the driver's control, any differences are down to the drivers and thus they are responsible for a poor one. This is an area in which Hamilton hasn't always excelled at in the past, but he (and maybe Rosberg) did get it right in Malaysia.

Last edited:
Could have split the set ups due to the weather Fenders.

One might have expected Nico to qualify better with a wet setup in that case.

I haven't heard much about their respective setups, and at this point with these cars they're still learning a great deal every time they take to the circuit. Lewis may have just hit a sweet spot as he was really in tune with the car out front. Nobody really knows what the difference was with Nico and his silver arrow. I'm glad they're back at it this weekend!

Lauda is sure it was Nico's car and not Nico though. I'd agree, I think Hamilton is very special as a driver and truthfully better than Nico, but not that special to pull out the gap the way he did without it being something to do with the car.

I guess time will tell.

... and it was not unreasonable to suggest that the conditions led to differences in approach to set-ups between the two drivers and their engineers. Although I recall Ross Brawn saying that Nico and Lewis have similar driving styles we can assume they aren't identical. It would not have been a surprise if one or both set-ups had been slightly compromised in favour of the wet qualy' as opposed to the expected dry race.

Having said all that, I actually posed the question because I was being mischievous. IMHO Hamilton mullered Rosberg both in achieving the best set up for himself with his engineer and then in using what he had to deliver the win. At least that battle has commenced but I wonder if it's going to be as close as we would like.

Having said all that, I actually posed the question because I was being mischievous. IMHO Hamilton mullered Rosberg both in achieving the best set up for himself with his engineer and then in using what he had to deliver the win. At least that battle has commenced but I wonder if it's going to be as close as we would like.

Fenderman......I just had to look up the word mullered, which was a new word for me here across the big pond, and suspected that it wouldn't have a positive meaning....it didn't. The use of the word mullered may not be as explosive as Lauda's recently statement that......... '' When Lewis is fully focused on his work he is almosr unbeatable."

http://www.auto123.com/en/racing-ne...ilton-is-unbeatable-when-focused?artid=166208

Lewywo4 It's a street term often used more loosely and not necessarily as venomously as the dictionary definition would have one believe.

"In sports it has a somewhat less catastrophic sense of being badly beaten, outclassed or outplayed by the other team (“Predictably, the scrum was mullered, the ball turned over and a Quins try was the result.” — in the Irish Independent, 20 October 2008)"

Indeed but I would never suggest that alcohol played any part other than in the celebration that all three podium finishers clearly and deservedly enjoyed LOL.

Actually, the podium champers splashing was the best scene of the weekend. :goodday:to three fine racers.

Back
Top Bottom