Head To Head Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton

I think you should be scrubbed from the thread but I don't keep interupting to say so. ;-)

I think it is acceptable to talk about Lewis Hamilton on a thread called Lewis Hamilton vs Nico Rosberg especially as the current conversation is 'Is Lewis Hamilton a class above Nico Rosberg' it may have veered off to discuss what class actually is Lewis Hamilton but its still part of the ultimate question.

Is Hamilton in another class to Villeneuve. The similarities are startling but superficial.

Hamilton beat his team-mate in his début season to finish 2nd in the title. Villeneuve didn't. Hamilton's team-mate left because he blackmailed the team, Villeneuve's team-mate left because :dunno:.

In their second season, Villeneuve won the title narrowly in a car which was the class of the field. Hamilton won the title narrowly despite being on the end of some rather incomprehensible stewarding in a car which was clearly inferior to the one his opponent was driving, and at times seriously challenged for pace by BMW.

Villeneuve never won another race. Hamilton won plenty, even in pretty dire machinery. Villeneuve was career was blown to shit by Jenson Button, Hamilton's reputation was dented a soupçon by Button, who he just about edged over three seasons.

As for Rosberg, he was criticised last year for not beating a seven-time World Champion by enough. He's got some talent!

Interesting decision regarding the upcoming tests. Rosberg will be doing all 3 days of testing whilst Hamilton is elsewhere working on fitness.

Will these tests have minimal impact on the way next years cars will be designed and set up or will Hamilton be starting next years testing program playing catch up and not getting the car how he wants?

Ahh seriously!! i can only see this being a negative for Hamilton. I was also under the impression that driving F1 cars was the best neck training out there.

Same thing happened at Ferrari at the end of last year, when Massa alone undertook the first few days of testing with rhe new cars while Alonso was "working on his fitness".

One of the things that started the feud between Prost and Senna back in the day, was that Ayrton would head off to Brazil almost as soon as the season ended, not to be seen again until about a week or two before the beginning of the next, leaving Alain to effectively undertake the entirety of winter testing and development work, and in the days of unlimited testing Prost didn't get much of a winter holiday when paired with Senna at McLaren. "Ziss is not correct!" :)

Last edited:
TBY

I find your downplaying the similarity between JV and LH interesting but somewhat at odds with what seem to me are relevant facts:

1. On the rare occasions when both Button and JV managed to finish the same race, JV was the higher placed more often than not. This would seem to indicate that the points disparity between the two was determined more by which races they finished, rather than a head-to-head superiority of Button over JV.

2. Williams lost their engine supplier after JV's WDC year and the customer Renault engine, called the Mecachrome, was a brick. His performances (and lack thereof) must be viewed in light of that fact. LH has never faced such circumstances.

3. When JB joined the team, the team had just undergone a change of ownership and a huge (50 approx) purge of team members, and the new owner was publicly criticizing JV over his salary, so the team could in no way be described as being pro-JV. Hence there was absolutely no "home-field advantage" for JV that year.

While I can't say that I disagree your ultimate conclusion, that LH is the better driver, to me, the case is in no way as clear-cut as portrayed.

Time to resurrect this thread WRT 2014 championship.

We all know the traditional spiel, Rosberg more cerebral, Hamilton is more talented at the limit. However let's share how this is evolving.

My take after Australia:
In practice sessions and in Q1 and Q2 Rosberg seemed more consistent than Hamilton.
Hamilton took fastest lap.
Rosberg won the race but more importantly he gained experience driving a race in a 2014 car which Hamilton doesn't have.

So far edge to Rosberg.

To me Hamilton ought to bounce back and win this championship, but with Hamilton my biggest concern is always whether his mind is clear or if he becomes distracted by his own bad luck and the resulting overwhelming pressure to deliver, resulting in poor performances and erratic driving.

Back
Top Bottom