Head To Head Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton

When a Championship is this close over 21 races there are a litany of things you could point to. But I'm sure he would have liked to participate in Chinese GP Qualifying, and also Q3 in Russia.

But there's no denying that the Malaysian DNF (coupled with Rosberg's perfect reliability) was the biggest blow of the season.

By the very same token, why is it that some cannot accept that the Malaysian DNF is without question the most pivotal event of the entire Championship? (Apparently you think it was Baku Quali??)

And TBY, are you suggesting Hamilton caused his PU failures?

edit - clarification

Last edited:
I don't think there's been a pivotal point, given that either could win the championship in Aberdovey nobody has a credible claim to any event being pivotal. If Rosberg gets a dnf and Hamilton gets enough points to win what will you all think then?

Ahhh the age old mechanical failure argument. Whichever idiot came out with that quote "they even themselves out in the end" needs a slap. I think they are all part of the sport and I can see why Hamilton would be unhappy if a title came down to him having more. On the other hand you play the hand your dealt and it's not Nico's Lewis's car broke down and his didn't. I hope no one is suggesting undeserved champion because I think that would be unfair on both drivers who have fought hard this year.

At the end of the day Lewis should just count his lucky stars he is not Jean Alesi.

By the very same token, why is it that some cannot accept that the Malaysian DNF is without question the most pivotal event of the entire Championship? (Apparently you think it was Baku Quali??)

Without that DNF at Malaysia. Lewis would now be leading the championship by 16 points, even with poor starts on his part, and engine problems.

Lewis - 380 points

Nico - 364 points.

Back in the day when mechanical failures were commonplace it must have destroyed people working out the what ifs.

Talk to me about Hamilton's hard earned luck free win at Monaco?
About Rosbergs race at GB?
About Hamilton's slow starts?

Yes that one race may make a difference but making sure you are at or near the front steadily building points whilst minimising mistakes and managing issues, is just as important in a championship than being the ultimate fastest.

If Rosberg wins this I fear I'll be hearing about Sepang 2016 for the next 10 years!

It's a mechanical sport, so it's a part of the game.

You could also argue that if Lewis in the end gets the championship by a few points, it's because of the teamorders in Monaco. Without them Nico wouldn't have let Lewis by so easily and Lewis likely wouldn't have won. But they are also part of the game.

It is clear that for some people the constant references to Sepang 2016
becomes insufficient argument for Hamilton lag in 2016.
But in addition to Sepang Hamilton had some misses in the final qualification due to technical problems.
Plus, he's already got this season penalty for exceeding the power units.
With this in mind it is strange to deny that Rosberg got a great advantage not only because of his accuracy
but because of the considerable share of luck.

Addition.
In the previous seasons Hamilton also had more technical problems and team errors than his teammate.
And therefore his victories is more valuable.

Championships are built over an entire season - Nico has done a better job than Lewis overall this year, and fair play to him for that. When Lewis first joined him at Mercedes, I recall people saying that Nico's more cerebral approach would give him an advantage over Lewis' raw talent - it's just taken 4 seasons for him to finally exert that advantage.

Championships are built over an entire season - Nico has done a better job than Lewis overall this year, and fair play to him for that. When Lewis first joined him at Mercedes, I recall people saying that Nico's more cerebral approach would give him an advantage over Lewis' raw talent - it's just taken 4 seasons for him to finally exert that advantage.
:-)
So.
Sepang 2016 for Hamilton and not the same for Rosberg is "more cerebral approach" advantage?
It is strong analysis this situation.... :-)

I really cannot believe that Rosberg pushes a machine to and past its limit in the way Hamilton does. Which, logically, translates into mechanical sympathy.

It's a story old as motorsport itself.

I really cannot believe that Rosberg pushes a machine to and past its limit in the way Hamilton does.

Maybe that's the case, but it does not explain the early season Qualifying failures. And I would be surprised if driving style had anything to do with (the race the must not be named). Not that these failures will, or should, have any explanation anyway.

Back
Top Bottom