Head To Head Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton

To be honest, for those of us who don't follow either Merc driver, it gave us some respite from seeing them run away with a race. It was great to see some other cars get a look in. I doubt this will be the last time Hamilton and Rosberg have an issue this season.

No I was just adding an article to further the debate. Thought it would be of interest.

It had already been linked by FB just 11 posts before yours in an effort to clear up the "mystery glitch" confusion.

You just wanted to type "racing incident" once more. Which is true only in the sense that it did occur during a race.

I think this would help to understand what AMuS is referring to.

8.3 Start systems :

8.3.1 Any system, the purpose and/or effect of which is to detect when a race start signal is given, is not permitted.

8.3.2 The ECU will implement a “lockout” period after each race start or pit stop during which a number of power unit and clutch related functions will be frozen or disabled. Details of the strategy may be found in the Appendix to the Technical Regulations.

Meaning Rosberg would have been locked into the incorrect settings he had dialed in before the race start. And the attempts to dial up the correct ones in Turn 3 were futile?

No, I think it implies that Rosberg's car shouldn't have started harvesting because for a period after the start, claimed to be 90 seconds, all of the cars on the grid should have been in the same mode. It's implies therefore, that it was a software glitch on the car.

I know Michael Schmidt is a respected journalist and I can only read a crude translation of the article, but I very much question why we haven't heard a single comment on this (supposed) issue since Sunday May 15th from any of the parties who were involved.

This passage in the article is hard to reconcile with STRAT mode discussion;

For the first 90 seconds after the start of the FIA-start mode overrides all other programs.Thus, the push-to-pass could not function

Furthermore, Rosberg has answered the question affirmatively on at least a dozen occasions that the loss of power was due to the engine settings on his steering wheel. Nobody involved has said that these were irrelevant to his issue.

The article provides an interesting alternative theory if nothing else.

On the wider subject of the collision, RasputinLives is free to post 'racing incident' as often as he likes as you are to disagree with that assessment KekeTheKing but the stewards decision will remain the official final word. I think it's time for everyone to put it to bed and move on.

You just wanted to type "racing incident" once more. Which is true only in the sense that it did occur during a race.

Apologies. I know how frustrating it is when you think someone has selectively quoted from an article to support an argument. I honestly didn't know it was the same article.

I too was happy for Max and everyone else who were just glad that Merc didn't win again. My focus has always been on the nuts and bolts of the incident.

Final word on the engine issue.

start.jpg

This regulation deals with modes/settings that could potentially make a car faster during a race start. The FIA would have no need to lockout modes/settings that would soon make the car slower. Mercedes and Rosberg know that with the Settings dialed in as they were there was nothing that an FIA override could have done in that situation.

I honestly didn't know it was the same article.

I honestly don't know how you missed it

Right gentleman. Enough. You don't agree. Leave it at that or the next subtle remark designed to wind someone up will result in the use of the moderating tools at my disposal. I've tried everything so far from subtlety to post deletion. I am all out of patience.

Thanks

Your friendly mod.

Here's the relevant passage translated through google:

FIA-start mode overrides any steering wheel commands

That's right, while wrong. No matter what button Rosberg had pressed at this stage, it would not help. Therefore, it is also misleading when Hamilton claims he has switched to curve 3 in the race mode, while Rosberg was on the road in the starting mode. This is simply not possible.The transition into the race mode is automatic.

For the first 90 seconds after the start of the FIA-start mode overrides all other programs.Thus, the push-to-pass could not function.Nevertheless, Rosberg could not help it. Or a conscious thing. The power loss must have been a software error. Whether it was caused by the formation lap because Rosberg had driven in the starting mode accidentally, it can be clarified by the Mercedes engineers only after accurate data analysis in the factory.
The translation is pretty accurate, except for the bold/italic part.
"Oder höchstens unbewusst." I would translate to "Or at the best, unconsiously".
Combined with the line before, a better translation would be: "Rosberg could not help it, at least not consciously."

Last edited:
Is it better to win races but keep losing the championship to your teammate or move to a new team to try to win both but with the risk that you'll never win a race again?

Partly inspired by Gary Anderson's article, have to say I think if Rosberg loses another championship to Hamilton this year (which I think he will) it's time to move on. I'm sure it's great winning races, but being continually outperformed on track and losing the title to your teammate 3 years in a row must be pretty tough psychologically.

With the new regulations in 2017 there's a chance other teams may be ahead of Mercedes and trying to find one of those teams is a risk I think Rosberg should take. It would potentially give him a serious shot at winning a title and the chance to test himself against another driver.

Last edited:
I'd hazard a guess that Lauda is trying to balance the negative press surrounding Rosberg (especially in Fleet Street) with a bit of clumsy Lewis-bashing ahead of his home GP.
It's clear that they're at a loss how to deal with the toxic atmosphere between Nico & Lewis now - all this little snippet seems to demonstrate is that Lewis is just as fiercely determined to win as ever (and that he does not take disappointment terribly well). What World Champion isn't though?

(to be honest, I'm rather surprised that this thread has lain dormant since Sunday...)

I love Lauda for leaking that info about Lewis trashing the room. Heh! It'll only increase the tension - excellent. More drama = more entertainment. God help us we don't want boring sensible people driving these things do we??

Edit: Well not all of them. A few dullards are permitted.

Back
Top Bottom