Head To Head Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton

I keep hearing this 17kph stat which I think is just over 10mph in UK money. I'm trying to figure out how slow that is. Does anyone have speed trap info from Spain?

In qualifying Wehrlein was fastest at 341.5 Km/h. Palmer slowest at 327.5

So 17 km/h is 3 km/h faster than the spread of fastest to slowest in the field.

Not sure where you're going with this?

I'm not going anywhere. Stats are stats I just wanted to get a perspective on how slow he was actually going in comparison to normal.

So just a bit slower than the slowest car on the straight. Thank you for answering my query.

The only thing you can take from that 17 km/h figure is that is was the fastest closing speed seen throughout the entire race.

In other words, it would have been impossible to achieve such a closing rate between any two vehicles unless one was harvesting energy and down 180 hp.

Do they all harvest energy at exactly the same points on exact same lap then? I only ask because I surprised we've not seen or heard about something similar previously in regards closing speeds.

Have there been similar incidents?

I keep hearing this 17kph stat which I think is just over 10mph in UK money. I'm trying to figure out how slow that is. Does anyone have speed trap info from Spain?

Barcelona circuit is no fastest in the calendar. Average speed of fastest lap in this year was 204 km/h.
But it is not important in this discussion.
Issue is to compare 2 cars with 17 km/h speed difference.
17 km/h = 5 m/s
The whole situation developed for about 4 seconds.
And for 4 seconds when the speed difference is 5 m/s the distance between 2 cars could be reduced upto 20 meters.

The one aspect for me that takes this beyond 'racing incident' is that Nico didn't leave a car's width. The problem is that first lap (or rather near-the-start) transgressions tend to be overlooked by the stewards so there's a bit of a grey area.

It is unreasonable to expect a driver not to slam the door shut if he is travelling at a reasonable speed. Is it unreasonable to expect him to act responsibly when his speed is compromised and slamming the door shut is more likely to cause an accident?

It is unreasonable to expect a driver to ignore an overtaking opportunity if the guy in front is driving with his handbrake on. Is it unreasonable to expect him to act in a timely fashion when the door suddenly slams shut on him?

At the speeds they are going and the time they have for decision making it is a racing incident. Their decision making is directly affected by the constraints of their teams race strategy. Were Mercedes drivers able to run independent race strategies the pressure to make it into turn one first and be leading before the first round of stops would be eased.

The driving force behind this accident is Mercedes team race strategy and their inability to act responsibly and allow their drivers to race with all the tools in the box and not just a claw hammer.

It was a racing incident, perhaps Lewis taking more blame for being slightly too aggressive, right up to the moment we see and understand that Nico realised he was in the wrong mode and compromised on speed. At that moment its his defence that is overly aggressive, and particularly against a team mate - then not leaving a cars width when you know you're significantly slower becomes genuinely reckless. I can accept its still a racing incident but any idea that Lewis takes more blame is evidently nonsense.

Lauda unfortunately now looks more than a little stupid for talking before he had all the facts. Possibly getting time for him to walk away from F1 as I'm thinking hes now more of a problem for Mercedes than a help. Be good if he could take Stewart with him.

I think Toto handled it correctly heard both sides of drivers view and spoke to the press afterwards with a clear head

In this case Lauda was wrong but no doubt upon seeing that incident any journalist would be desperate to run and get a word out of someone at Mercedes what they think about the whole thing

Lauda should correct his views having reviewed everything what he should not do is what Christian Horner did when Webber and Vettel crashed into each other and decided to change his views and blame the other driver after Helmut speaks out

As Rosberg is having contract renewed, Toto has come out and said they would consider Alonso still so be interesting if Fernando suddenly is up a few places on the grid and fighting really hard

I just thought would Mercedes consider promoting Wehrlein having seen how rapidly Verstappen has progressed?

Back
Top Bottom