Head To Head Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton

When you look at the Monaco lockup it looks nothing at all like Monza. In Monte Carlo you can clearly see Nico unsettling the car. In Monza he just missed the braking point, twice, and took to the runoff in order to avoid a massive flat spot.

I for one am very pleased that neither incident ended up playing a crucial role in the standings.

I agree with Keke, thankfully, the result stands as testiment to the best car / driver combination taking the title.

I long for the day when we can come through a season and say "wow, that was great" without having to try and second guess incidents to see if they invovled cheating or team orders, foul play or anything other than good hard driving.

I can't stand the thought of drivers doing that and have argued most vocally that Rosberg screwed up in Monaco rather than faked it. Of course, I've got no more evidence for this than anyone else, hunch or not. My fall back position has always been (as gutting as it is in other sports such as football when the replay clearly shows foul play), if the stewards said no problem then no problem it is.

It still amazes me that the stewards found nothing untoward after seeing the footage above.

To this day I haven't heard a single explanation as to why Rosberg was sawing away at the wheel in that manner. Something I have never seen before.

If the majority of the paddock, including Mercedes team members think it was deliberate, then that's good enough for me.

Do you think their opinion would have been different had Schumacher not paid and displayed in Monaco at the same stage of Qually? I'm wondering, because we've already seen something like that which was clearly a deliberate act, that this one, which does have a fair degree of ambiguity, is cast in the same light?

Last edited:
Sorry mate, bloody poor post of mine. I meant peoples opinions in general not the Stewards. They will have looked at the evidence before them and made a decision. I mean people like our good selves and those in Motorsport. I remember when Schumacher did it and no one could quite believe what he'd done.

I think the past has clouded the present opinion somewhat.

I long for the day when we can come through a season and say "wow, that was great" without having to try and second guess incidents to see if they involved cheating or team orders, foul play or anything other than good hard driving.
You might be in for quite a long wait.

If you haven't already, you should read the excellent book "The Grand Prix Companion" by Alan Henry (first published 2007). I'd say that foul play has been part of Formula 1 for, at a guess, a good 64 years.

Whilst reading this article on Autosport http://plus.autosport.com/premium/f...le-shot/?_ga=1.233955479.828484739.1398112302 and already feeling just a little uncomfortable with some of the comments I noticed this statement:
Perhaps the most remarkable drive of Rosberg's season - possibly his whole career – was Canada. His second place there was surely the best race performance of 2014 by any driver.
The basis for this claim was that Nico's lap times with handicapped brakes and the loss of 160bhp were still competitive. A feat comparable to Michael Schmacher's 1994 Spanish GP spent stuck in 2nd gear.

Putting my disagreement with this analysis aside, I reviewed the lap times Nico did at the end of the race and an interesting observation came out of this. The lap times were competitive with the eventual race winner, Daniel Ricciardo but not quite so with Jenson Button and Jan Magnussen. All season long the Mercedes power unit has been the cause of consternation and envy. The fact is without 160bhp and adequate braking the Mercedes is a very quick car. It was a very quick car last season. Having sorted out tyre wear problems Mercedes has an incredibly strong package and their power unit is just another part of that strength, it is not the be all and end all.

IMHO Lewis and Nico would still have been fighting for this WDC even if Red Bull and Ferrari had competitive power units.

Last edited:
I thought this was an amusing season opener.

upload_2015-1-7_15-51-45.png

https://twitter.com/nico_rosberg/status/552824469463773185

Nico had better get a blistering start of the season, because in June he will also join in the ranks of those considered according by him as being old.

According to Mr Ted on Sky, Rosberg vented his frustration during the official press conference about Hamilton's driving. Every pundit who has spoken on the subject agrees that there was no problem with what Hamilton did. It's further evidence if any was needed that Rosberg just hasn't got his mind right anymore. I know people don't like hearing this but the inter team battle at Mercedes is surely over and Hamilton has it. The only way back for Rosberg is if someone can sit him down and get his head back in focus.

Being 'stuck' behind - Nico said he couldn't get any closer, whilst in dirty air, because it would destroy his tyres.

The only answer, under the current programme/set -ups, is to be in front!

Back
Top Bottom