Head To Head Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton

Galahad

[bg=#00dd88] 6 [/bg][bg=#000000] N. ROSBERG[/bg]
[bg=#000000] TEAM RADIO [/bg]

"Nico, we need to retire the car, the telemetry shows it is likely to explode if you drive it a couple more laps. Confirm."

Rosberg slows whilst keeping Hamilton behind him. Then comes a DRS zone where Rosberg has to take a flyer out of the corner and defend his position. Hamilton obviously has DRS so no advantage to Bottas if he is in the 1 second zone.

Hardly likely that Rosberg would risk it and even less likely that Bottas would pick up a position.
Better that than drive off into the distance surely? At least there's a chance of contact, mistakes etc. for Hamilton; pitting into slower traffic and so on. He really has nothing to lose by trying.

I agree to a point Galahad. Nico has to try 'something'.

However, if they are close on track, Nico has more to lose if there is an accident. If they both go off, Lewis is champion.

I'm intrigued as to how it will pan out - probably absolutely nothing!

chris1981 - Yes, but if the race remains 'normal' then Hamilton is champion whatever. I wonder if he's been banging on about how much he loves Senna this week, in a 1990 kind of way.

I'd love to see a win for Williams Martini Racing this weekend.

FINAL SCORE 2014

Poles:
Rosberg (11 - 7) Hamilton
Fastest laps:
Rosberg (5 - 7) Hamilton
Wins:
Rosberg (5 - 11) Hamilton
Championships:
Rosberg (0 - 1) Hamilton

nico definitely lost the wdc because of not being good enough on race days.he should have converted alot more of his poles into wins.but only 3 out of 11 i think he converted into wins.lewis deserves his second wdc.

It's worth noting the poles and wins stats for the two drivers this season:

Rosberg - 11 poles, 5 wins
Hamilton - 7 poles, 11 wins

Hamilton only failed to convert one of his poles - the first race of the season in Australia when he retired after a couple of laps with an engine problem. Rosberg took the win.
Rosberg failed to convert eight of his poles, retiring from the British GP with a gearbox issue, with Hamilton winning five of the races and Ricciardo the other three.

Fascinating isn't it? The beeb did a bit with Button before qually on Saturday and he said Hamilton was miles quicker in qually but he had the measure of him when it came to race day. We saw the opposite with the Merc team.

Could it be that Rosberg set his car up to gain the upper hand in Qually hoping to get the strategy calls first and make it count where as Hamilton may havr been prepared to give a little in qually to find that optimum race pace. The fact that he is so quick may have masked some of the disadvantage in set ups?

Out of interest, in 84 Piquet managed to convert 9 poles into just 2 wins. Of course his car spent most of the season exploding.

Last edited:
Nico only finished ahead of Lewis 4 times when they both finished, that includes Austria and Germany, where Lewis had issues in qualifying.

I think that this seasons performance from Lewis has been as good as I have seen. Solid, relentless and focussed, not flustered by the setbacks that have befallen him from time to time, todays race being a prime example. It would have been all too easy to try too hard and make an error, but no, another commanding performance.

Well done, and thoroughly deserved. And hopefully confidence and continuity will help him next season too.

There's almost nothing between these guys in Qualifying really. 3-4 tenths is a massive margin. Nico was mega in Abu Dhabi on Saturday and was incredibly fast in Quali all year. But when you put Lewis behind him on track, he rarely stays there. It all sets up for some of the spectacular racing we've seen this year.

This is a terrific pairing. These guys know each other inside and out and they definitely bring the best out in each other. Rosberg showed some of the killer instinct that many were unsure existed and the Championship was much better for it. I see no reason why he won't be a contender again in 2015.

At several times during this campaign it looked as if it just may not be Lewis' year. The fire in Hungary qualifying was possibly the low point. But that P3 on Sunday in front of Nico was a mammoth result. That drive showed that he was taking this title come hell or high water. Of course I will remember many of the wins this year, but when I think back to the 2014 season, the Hungarian meeting will be at the front of my mind. He wasn't going to be denied this one.

Roll on 2015!!! :)

Anyone else here the discussion on Sky about the relationship between these two? After they had finished with the Monaco incident Brundle went on to question the incident at Monza and (if I recall correctly) said that JYS thought it was deliberate from Rosberg when he missed the chicane.

Not try to open up old wounds, just recounting an interesting discussion from people much closer to the sport than most of us.

Yes, I posted about it (the Monaco incident) on Saturday: http://cliptheapex.com/threads/nico-rosberg-vs-lewis-hamilton.5523/page-145#post-265847

Brundle himself said he now thinks it was deliberate.
That is a damning indictment IMO, especially considering Brundle specifically mentioned comments from within the team.

Interesting that JYS thinks Monza was deliberate.
I personally can't see that being the case, but if it is true, then that raises a lot of questions about Rosberg.

Even more about what the team management is up to.

Their race strategy is so choreographed, there is no reason to suspect that their championship strategy is any less subject to choreography...

Back
Top Bottom