Head To Head Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton

To get an idea on how even the luck has been this season I've just done a back of the envelope calculation based on car failures and mistakes by one driver hurting the other (i.e. Nico at Spa and Monaco). I calculate that Rosberg has gained something like between 18pts and 76pts over Hamilton this season (a wide range I know!)

To get a 76point swing I use:
Australia: Hamilton 1st, Rosberg 2nd
Monaco: Hamilton 1st, Rosberg 2nd
Canada: Hamilton 2nd, Rosberg 3rd (assuming both had brake issues but Lewis' affected him the same as Nico's)
Silverstone: Hamilton 2nd, Rosberg 1st
Germany: Hamilton 1st, Rosberg 2nd
Hungary: Hamilton 1st, Rosberg 4th***
Belgium: Hamilton 1st, Rosberg 2nd
Singapore: Hamilton 1st, Rosberg 2nd

***Hungary is pretty optimistic for Lewis here, it depends on him being able to fight his way back to the front after the safety car which Nico wasn't able to do. If you leave it as Hamilton 3rd, Rosberg 4th then the points swing is reduced to 66pts.

To get an 18point swing I use:
Australia: Hamilton 1st, Rosberg 2nd
Monaco: Hamilton 2nd, Rosberg 1st
Canada: Hamilton 3rd, Rosberg 2nd
Silverstone: Hamilton 2nd, Rosberg 1st
Germany: Hamilton 2nd, Rosberg 1st
Hungary: Hamilton 3rd, Rosberg 4th
Belgium: Hamilton 2nd, Rosberg 1st
Singapore: Hamilton 1st, Rosberg 2nd

I only did this quickly on paper so the numbers could be a bit off. It doesn't really achieve anything thinking about this but thought some people might be interested...

great work there Sushifiesta. On your first table, I think Hamilton would have had Silverstone even if Rosberg's car held out. interesting statistics though.

It's just for shits and giggles really, I tried to create one scenario which is a bit biased towards Lewis and another that's a bit biased towards Nico. The point is that people were saying the luck has now evened itself out now but in reality Lewis has still lost out on a modest to large amount of points compared to Nico.

I can't see how anyone could say the two are equal on misfortunes, if they've actually been watching the whole season. No where near is it equal. Be great if the rest of the season was just down to driving and not misfortunes. Even though it's not evened up, I'd settle for no more misfortune for either driver.

Some things I can agree with, eating, drinking and dialling numbers on a mobile while driving are stupid. But talking to your passenger? If it's so distracting why are they still doing it in F1, and encouraging all of us, with their bad habits?
:ermmm:

I know this invites people to be immature about this but Nico was constantly on the phone about the handling of his car. Of course, they can no longer tell him what to do about it, in terms of gear selection, diff settings, brake balance etc. he seemed very frustrated not to be able to receive any coaching as his calls to deaf ears were repetitive and increasingly panicked. Lewis seems a lot more comfortable to simply get on with it and drive. I suspected the rule changes might favour Lewis over Nico and this seems to be the case. Whilst Nico may have the analytical intelligence advantage, I think Lewis has more instinctive nouse... And that is what racing should be about, IMO.

Last edited:
I would have thought that by now people would realise that Hamilton manages tyres better than just about everyone. It's so blu the brakes he really seems to hammer. Of course they can spec the brakes for him, which can't be done with tyres.

well to me it was more the fact that head to head racing again and this time Lewis passed Nico to win the race... which is another blow to Nico who must begin to wonder what he can do

He's in it by the skin of his teeth and the double points will come into play

-Sochi is the unknown next week and he needs to stop the momentum as USA and Abu dhabi - Lewis is exceptional on those tracks

that leaves Brazil

Tickets to Interlagos are on my wedding gift list. I hope someone is generous enough or can pull some strings. Alternatively I may get a job welcoming English speaking guests. I am determined to be there.

Back
Top Bottom