Head To Head Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton

The 'luck' swung the other way today.

Hamilton survived a second corner impact with the barrier, then the various accidents and safety cars eliminated the huge gap to the leading pack, at the same time negating Rosberg's lead.

Of course he still had to do what he gets paid for, and do it well, but two weekends in a row now Hamilton has gone from dead last to the podium.
Beating his team mate in the process, mentally, if not literally.

Last edited:
Mercedes seem to routinely put Lewis and Nico on different strategies. I suspect that on balance the decision comes from the team. It has to be remembered that even if Lewis makes the final decision it will be based on the information and advice that he receives from them. They will tell him what their telemetry data tells them. The problem with that is that the telemetry does not necessarily reflect how the different tyres feel to the driver. The boffins seem to have too much influence as we have seen with Button's amd Williams' faux pas today.

I think Riccardo would still have won the race, but the Mercs might have ended 2nd and 3rd instead of 3rd and 4th if Lewis matched Nico's strategy. Would have been close though.

And although Nico was unlucky today he was still around 6 places ahead of Lewis after the first safety car. If he'd been able to overtake Vergne he could well have still won the race but he very rarely even got close, whereas Lewis was past within a lap or two of being behind him.

Lewis had three brand new sets of fresh soft tyres for this race and only got to use one of them. Mercedes threw away a pits to flag win in Hungary. >:(

Agree.

I also thnk races like this one show how much a more deserving champion Hamilton is over Rosberg. It hacks me off to no end that reliability, penalty rules on engine and gearbox swaps, and the stupid points system will almost certainly hand the championship to the slower and less deserving driver. This is why F1 is unpopular.

Bushi it's not possible to overtake at Hungary as it was at Hokenheim, his only hope for a good points haul ( relative to Rosberg, his competition) will be rain or unreliability on Rosberg's car.

racecub....you may have received your wish with the rain, and I imagine Lewis's drive today has brought a smile to your face. What looked like the possibilty of Lewis being 20 or more points behind Rosberg at race end, has been reduced to 11 points, because of his outstanding drive by beating Rosberg.

oh dear a move over call to lewis for Nico and he's not moving . Remember contract time Lewis
Was he given a move over instruction or was he told not to block him from overtaking? I heard the latter and I didn't see Hamilton block Rosberg at any stage during that period, Rosberg was a full second behind and showed no signs of getting close enough to overtake. Is there a suggestion that he should have deliberately slowed down to let Rosberg through?? If so IMO that's laughable based on the championship situation. If I was Hamilton I would have done exactly the same thing and frankly I don't know any competitive driver who wouldn't.

Last edited:
Agree.

I also thnk races like this one show how much a more deserving champion Hamilton is over Rosberg. It hacks me off to no end that reliability, penalty rules on engine and gearbox swaps, and the stupid points system will almost certainly hand the championship to the slower and less deserving driver. This is why F1 is unpopular.

Batman....it ain't over till the fat lady sings.

Nico was unlucky today he was still around 6 places ahead of Lewis after the first safety car. If he'd been able to overtake Vergne he could well have still won the race but he very rarely even got close, whereas Lewis was past within a lap or two of being behind him.

That was a significant mistake on Nico's part, not to quickly dispose of Vergne.

Back
Top Bottom