New rules for 2011 & 2013

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
As well as the collapsing wings and KERS 2011 see's the return of team orders with the FIA dropping the rule for next season. Michael Schumacher must be grinning from ear to ear.

For 2013 the engines rules will be:

- 1.6-litre, four-cylinder turbos with energy recovery and fuel restrictions to replace current 2.4-litre normally aspirated V8s
- Fuel efficiency to increase by a target of 35%
- Overall power to remain same at approx 750bhp
- Checks and balances to ensure costs are contained and performance across all engines remains comparable
- Fuel to be limited by fuel-flow restrictions and a stipulated maximum tank capacity
- Plan for advanced 'compound' turbos to be introduced in subsequent years
- Power of Kers energy recovery systems to increase from 60kw in 2011 to 120kw in 2013

Courtesy of the BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 275796.stm

Can't say im suprised by the team orders, wonder how it is going to be policed though for when it does occur

I would say that a certain driver from Spain, whom the FIA always dote over, is the reason for dropping the ban on team orders. They felt terrible imposing a $100k fine on the red team for a move that obviously benefitted said driver. Old Man MS wouldn't have even entered their conciousness on this move.

MCLS said:
Can't say im suprised by the team orders, wonder how it is going to be policed though for when it does occur

They're dropping the ban on team orders, no policing will be required.

Stefano Domenicalli has "welcomed the end to the pointless hypocrisy" of the team orders ban. Sorry Stefano the only hypocrites here are the Ferrari team for imposing team orders when they were banned. What next, you don't like the 2.4 litre engine so are going to run a 3 litre unit in your car next season?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 279687.stm

fat_jez said:
MCLS said:

They're dropping the ban on team orders, no policing will be required.

FIA are keeping the law of bringing the sport into disrespute, so it will still need to be policed to a certain level.

MCLS said:
FIA are keeping the law of bringing the sport into disrespute, so it will still need to be policed to a certain level.
Team orders are no longer banned, there's nothing to police.

Teams are free to do what they want with their drivers during races.

Now the rule has been removed, the teams may tacitly agree not to use team orders as much as possible while article 151.c, which refers to bringing the sport into disrepute, remains intact.

That article warns against "any fraudulent conduct or any act prejudicial to the interests of any competition, or to the interests of motorsport generally".

Rick D said:
Can you imagine how much more like mosquitos those engines are going to sound!!!

Yeah but the joy of hearing a waste gate popping open and flames bursting out of the exhausts on the over run will more than compensate. Also, don't remember the turbo cars of the early 80's being too high pitched although not as beautiful to listen to as a DFV at full chat.

One other new rule for 2011 which I missed in my opening post, there will now be a curfew on mechanics:

"No team personnel who are associated in any way with the operation of the cars are permitted within the confines of the circuit during two six hour periods which commence ten hours before the scheduled start times of [Practice 1] and [Practice 3]."

"However, each team will be permitted four individual exceptions to the above during a Championship season."

At least if Fernando has another tank slapper at Monaco or Lewis "the wet weather King" nurfs another barrier in rainy P3 the mechanics will be able to glue their cars back together with one of their "exceptions"

This one baffles me :thinking:

The FIA also confirmed how penalties will be handed out if drivers do not use both tyres of dry weather tyres during races.

"If the race is suspended and cannot be re-started, thirty seconds will be added to the elapsed time of any driver who was unable to use both specifications of dry-weather tyre during the race," stated the regulations. "However, any driver who completes the race without using both specifications of dry-weather tyre will be excluded from the race results."

Say, for example, there is a 5 car pile up in the tunnel at Abu Dhabi and the race is stopped, all the drivers that haven't been able to pit all have 30 seconds slapped on their time through no fault of their own?

Makes no sense to me :crazy:

I still didn't read the new regulations thoroughly, but, is there any limit to the turbo?

Fuel to be limited by fuel-flow restrictions and a stipulated maximum tank capacity

Could this be related to the BMW turbo engines that powered Brabham in the 80's? If the power is supposed to remain the same, key word "supposed", what's stopping the teams pumping up the power to 900+ HP?

2013 detailed technical regulations have not been framed or published yet.
All we have seen is general parameters.

Speshal said:
This one baffles me :thinking:

The FIA also confirmed how penalties will be handed out if drivers do not use both tyres of dry weather tyres during races.

"If the race is suspended and cannot be re-started, thirty seconds will be added to the elapsed time of any driver who was unable to use both specifications of dry-weather tyre during the race," stated the regulations. "However, any driver who completes the race without using both specifications of dry-weather tyre will be excluded from the race results."

Say, for example, there is a 5 car pile up in the tunnel at Abu Dhabi and the race is stopped, all the drivers that haven't been able to pit all have 30 seconds slapped on their time through no fault of their own?

Makes no sense to me :crazy:

I can kind of understand the rule, but it is badly formed. It should be that those who haven't stopped to change tyres yet should get the average pit stop time added to their times. As the ridiculous rules state that you have to use both sets of tyres, the fact that you haven't and the race is stopped could be construed as an advantage under 2010 rules. The FIA are just trying to close this loophole in their usual subtle way..

I don't see much sense in many of these new for '11 rule change prelims that manipulate and extend long winded, badly worded existing, edited and modified 40 year plus old rules...

Must be the result of those post season Ferrari/FIA meetings where they discuss what needs to change to get them to win by default..

Cancer Cowboy said:
I still didn't read the new regulations thoroughly, but, is there any limit to the turbo?

Fuel to be limited by fuel-flow restrictions and a stipulated maximum tank capacity

Could this be related to the BMW turbo engines that powered Brabham in the 80's? If the power is supposed to remain the same, key word "supposed", what's stopping the teams pumping up the power to 900+ HP?

Nothing. If the team want 900hp they can, provided that they can get 900hp worth of air through the restrictor, but they will be limited on fuel so it will be a case of managing the max power you can over the distance.*

Adds another dimension IMO... sprint away early and protect the lead to the death as you run out of fuel, or save it all race to wind it up at the end and fly past everyone with your adjustable wing...

*...If you double the boost, the extra fuel or quench you need to cool the charge & prevent det. rises exponentially. Which basically means an engine running 450hp will be able to travel more than twice as far flat chat, as the same engine making 900hp with more boost.

A pretty picture to show how more fuel is needed with high boost... which means that absolute power may not always win the day come 2013...

Attachments

• BoostVsFuel.png
    BoostVsFuel.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 136
A summary of the proposed changes, from BBC website.

* Much smaller front and rear wings;

* A far greater proportion of the total downforce of the cars will be created by the underfloor, compared to the wings;

* A major reduction in the amount of total downforce created by the car;

* To achieve this, the underfloor of the cars will be shaped along its length to generate downforce for the first time since the 1982 season - currently cars have bottoms that are flat between the wheels;

* The average proportion of a lap that a driver is able to spend on full throttle to be cut from 70% in 2010 to 50% in 2013;

* Tyres will remain large and chunky to ensure cornering speeds remain high.

Back
Top Bottom