New Horizons: Voyage to Pluto.

Really?

Sometimes there are distant or dim objects in the night sky that can only be seen through powerful telescopes and are only known by a generic catalogue number. Eventually some of them get given a proper name and quite often they're named after a NASA (or other agencies) staff member.

So maybe your daughter could one day have exo-planet or something named after her, who knows?

Last edited:
Yeah sure. It just couldn't be little green women could it? Why does it always have to be little green MEN what's doing the messing things up? I'm starting to feel victimised here...

Well there's a mood of relief all-round. Seems as though NASA investigators have identified the problem and expect New Horizon's primary computer to resume normal service at some point tomorrow.

http://www.nasa.gov/nh/new-horizons-plans-july-7-return-to-normal-science-operations

One thing that's clear judging by the latest pictures sent before the glitch is that Pluto looks far more interesting than first thought. It's also become apparent that Pluto is indeed, red.

pluto.jpg

Included there are the highest-yet resolution images of Pluto, taken a few days before the glitch. Those dark spots look really weird don't they. And those darker areas on Pluto's equatorial regions really look so much darker than the rest.

New Horizon's approach of Pluto isn't aligned with its its rotational plane, what you see on these pictures are titled images of Pluto with its equatorial regions located at the bottom of each photograph.

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/latest-images-of-pluto-from-new-horizons

If Pluto is impacted a lot by asteroids then surely the coloured patches are different minerals thrown up to the surface in the melt and re-frozen on top ?

Aw gawd... they've done it with New Horizon as well. Translating machine talk into personalised human twitter communications. They did it with Rosetta, Philae and now New Horizon...

NASA New Horizons ‏@NASANewHorizons 7m7 minutes ago

I'm about 3,577,835 miles from Pluto, looking for any changes with my UV spectrometer. Scientists are going to LOVE this data! #PlutoFlyby

65 retweets 79 favorites

It's all a bit daft and irritating isn't it.

They are just trying to appeal to the masses my friend. If you can engage the public, you get asked a lot less questions about why you spent so much money to look at a big rock. Sad but true. :)

Latest image shows heart shaped patch hence the love reference.

screenshot.51.jpg

Very red isn't it.
The below image is best we had just a few months ago.
shit.jpg

This is so cool. I'm loving the updates, keep them coming Greenlantern101

--------------------------------

It's about to get even more exciting now. I mean what I find really cool is that it's sort of the first time in history we have the opportunity to follow live broadcasts of a probe flying by an alien world as it happens at any time we choose to look it up. The last time we witnessed a probe exploring a planet for the first time was Voyager 2's flyby of Neptune in 1989 but today we have the internet. On the 14th of July we'll be able to just watch it all on NASA TV, we can watch the live streams, the repeats, the podcasts, we can just se it all as it unfolds anytime of the day and night, all through multiple sources So that is unprecedented.

For now we can watch daily updates on here:

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/Multimedia/Videos/Broadcasts.php

Is the broadcast just online?

And what time will it be going? All day on the 14th?

This sounds awesome I definitely want to watch this.

Back
Top Bottom