New Horizons: Voyage to Pluto.

Well it would depend on a number of factors one of which is how far past the 1AU point New Horizon is and where in relation to Earth Pluto is due to the fact the Pluto distance from Earth varies from 4.4 and 7.5 billion Km, my calculation assumes Pluto is at it's closest to Earth which is a massive assumption...:)

Last edited:
I find it strangely moving that you move that far out toward the edge of our Solar system and can still see the welcome sight of Sunlight.
Yes, before you say, I know it's beyond cold.

For those who don't know AU stands for astronomical unit and is the distance of the Earth from the Sun and is roughly 150 million Km and is used in the calculation of a parsec...

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2015-04-16 at 09.41.51.png

Aaannnnyway. Pluto.

Are we there yet?

What with the hoo-ha press coverage triggered by Philae's wake up it's somewhat gone under the radar that New Horizon's now past the 30-day mark till fly-by day.

Here's one very weird indeed numerical simulation of one of Pluto's small moons with its apparently random rotation, obtained through a collection of data from Hubble. The tiny moon's comparatively insignificant gravity means its very rotation is almost entirely conditioned by whatever positions the Pluto-Charon system is in. If you were stood on its surface you'd have no idea where the sun's likely to rise or set. Is there anything weirder-looking in the solar system system?

Back
Top Bottom