New engine regs cast in stone.

sportsman

Sidecar racers have the biggest cojones
Contributor
Notice the dig at Bernie.Mind your own business

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91261 FIA president Jean Todt has indicated there is no going back on plans for Formula 1 to switch to 1.6-litre turbocharged engines in 2013 - despite resistance from some teams.
Although the change of engine formula received unanimous support from manufacturers and the governing body when it was initially voted through, in recent weeks concerns have grown about the cost implications of such a big move.
But despite that, and Bernie Ecclestone's dislike of the change because he does not think the engines will sound very good, Todt is adamant that the rules are here to stay.
However, Todt is setting up a meeting with F1's engine manufacturers ahead of the Spanish Grand Prix to discuss the progress they are making with the powerplants.
"Nothing has changed. From 2013 it has been announced that it will be a new engine rule," said Todt during a media briefing in Turkey on Sunday morning. "It is nothing to do with the commercial rights holder [Ecclestone]."

And quite right too - the commercial rights holder shouldn't influence the governing body regarding rule changes. Does Bernie still have his place on the WMSC?

It cannot be stressed enough that the proposed engines for 2013 will still make a noise! A different noise, I grant you, but still!

Er, yes. But not the high-pitched banshee scream of the 19,000 rpm V engines that seems to have become known as "the sound of Formula 1". A different noise which might be impressive in its own right, while being a little less painful and damaging to the ear drums.

I am somewhat in a minority as I dislike the screaming V8 used in F1.
Give me the deep throaty growl (not that oneLOL) of straight 4 turbo with wastegates popping any day.
Or even better a straight 6 racing engine from the 60's.

I actually turn the sound right down during the race.I am not interested in the commentary, mine is in German anyway which I can't keepup with.
The pictures,live timing and Autosports live feed and I am happy.

I am somewhat in a minority as I dislike the screaming V8 used in F1.
Give me the deep throaty growl (not that oneLOL) of straight 4 turbo with wastegates popping any day.
Or even better a straight 6 racing engine from the 60's.

Well you're in a minority of at least two then :thumbsup:

peek.gif

Is it safe to come out yet

minority of 3 and rising.
I used to love different sounding engines in the same race; that was the best.

Yes! I remember not so long ago (two, maybe three years I think) there was a historic sports car race as a support to the British Grand Prix (why is it no more?). There were loads of cars on the track at the same time from different classes and even various eras; almost every car sounded different, and it was fantastic.

I'm much happier with 1,000 horsepower V12's that run on ethanol and scream a big fat screw you to eco-hippies and the like who are pressuring F1 into going green. Its been mentioned before but a flight from Europe to Japan equates to the same as a season of F1. Obviously the teams jetting about increases the arbon footprint by huge amounts, so only improving what we can see means F1 is trying to impress someone. Is it new engine suppliers - Audi/VW, or the aforementioned eco-hippies? :thinking:

I don't think it will ever be the eco-hippies but F1 will always need money from the car manufacturer's one way or another. Seeing as they are the ones who want to see a return on their investment it makes sense to tweak the regulations to attract them even if it means small turbo hybrid engines.

If it was all about noise we'd still be racing with the Bentley Boys...

I never really understood the low capacity V8s, where are they ever used in a road vehicle? I'm open to a change.

Hmmm the land of the V8?
http://green.autoblog.com/2011/02/02/four-cylinder-engines-power-65-4-of-cars-built-in-2010/ Back in 2008, soaring gas prices sent car buyers in search of efficient four-cylinder vehicles and, as the numbers show, sales of V6 and V8 engines dropped from 63.9 percent to 57.1 percent when gas prices spiked. Though elevated fuel costs may have triggered the increased demand for four-cylinder power a few years ago, the numbers show that the four-banger's rise to dominance continues.

According to data posted by Ward's Auto (sub. req.), the V8 engine powered a mere 20.8 percent of the total North American light-vehicle output in 2010, down from the 22.8 percent in 2009. In contrast, the four-cylinder engine powered 64.5 percent of all cars built in 2010, an increase from the 61.9 percent in 2009. Ward's chalks up the rising popularity of the once-lowly four-banger to technical improvements, such as direct injection, turbocharging and variable valve timing systems, that have transformed some four-cylinder engines into potent mills that consume significantly less fuel than many V6 and V8 engines.

Apparently the new engine reg's aren't cast in stone after all.

Hearing the #F1 Commission has 'unanimously agreed' to delay new engine until 2014 and to switch from V4 to V6 1.6litre.. unconfirmed as yet
I'm told new #f1 engine regs will go to WMSC to be ratified by fax vote on Monday

From Twitter.

Back
Top Bottom