Monaco - The Marmite Poll

Should Monaco stay in Formula One?

• Total voters
RickD said:
I don't mind it, not the most exciting race on the calendar, but still beats quite a few other circuits in terms of racing (including both Spanish GPs).

Wasn't there talk of extending the circuit last year? I'm sure I remember seeing it and the plans..

There was a picture on Planet F1 which they "reported" as a removal of the chicane on the exit of the tunnel, leaving a huge straight into tabac.

Of course, anyone with any sense knew that wasn't going to happen, not only on safety grounds but the idea that it was "to facilitate overtaking" was misguided since the cars already go through there at, what, 120mph? It would've just got quicker, in all likelihood.

I don't know why the Monegasque road builders did that, never got to the bottom of it.

No, that wasn't it Enja, I'm sure it was an extension to the track along a planned new Marina section, with a hairpin at the end.. :thinking:

I have a vague recollection of this as well Rick. Weren't they going to build a new pits complex that extended into the harbour? Looking on the web last night I did find some articles about contracts being handed out to reclaim land in the harbour area so this might well be true.

Rick is correct, the circuit was going to turn left into the harbour on a new purpose built section.

I also seem to recall something about an underground/overground section?

I'm sure we posted about it on here at the time.

That plan looked all fine and dandy until someone at the meeting went:

"Excuse me, it's a lovely idea and all that but how much will it cost to build?"

After a few minutes of silence and a few red faces all round all you heard was:

"Right, so we'll keep the same track for the time being lads? Thought so. Meeting adjourned"

Brogan said:
FB said:
(not sure how you embed Google videos)

Like this :)

I'll update the How Do I...? thread with instructions.

I doubt there will be many up here if thats the best you can find ;)

Also i think there should be a "I'm sitting on the wall and can't really decide" option on the poll :D

The Automobile Club de Monaco has responded to Bernie's comments about the circuit possibly being dropped.

A rough Google translation gives the following:

The Automobile Club of Monaco does not comment on the statement given to Mr Ecclestone relating to the future of the Monaco Grand Prix Formula 1.

Assuming that this information has been verified from Mr Ecclestone by the Media that it echoed, even should one interpret the context and spirit of this statement.

The reality is much simpler: a negotiation is ongoing between the Automobile Club de Monaco and Formula One Management.

In time, the Automobile Club will not fail to communicate from the signing of an agreement.

http://www.acm.mc/ramc/ramc_main.php?page=2011/communique_2011.php

Brogan said:
I expect most people have already seen the news but Monaco has agreed a new 10 year deal to host F1 races.

Yippee! :mexicanwave:

We still don't know yet whether they have increased their fee though (from zero).

Will we ever?

Nothing much to add, really. Fewer circuits these days really punish a driving error, so perhaps having Monaco on the calendar is more important than ever.

It seems to me to enable overtaking opportunities you need wide straight tracks. This in turn means less skill is required by the driver to 'keep it on the island' during normal running.

Monaco is tight and twisty and needs tremendous skill and concentration to negotiate safely - but you have few overtaking opportunities.

Catch 22 or what.

Not really sure....it has history. But it is really boring at times, but I guess it's on the calender for all the celebs to go to. It's great to drive in, I have driven there in go-karts, very precise...if you get it right amazing feeling...get it wrong and you look like a fool. Obviously go-karts are much different than F1 cars.

My point is....great for the drivers to drive in...boring for the spectators.

This year might be entertaining with the DRS and everything...but last year if it wasn't for the two Williams cars crashing out or Alonso coming through the field...there would have been not much action at all...even with these incidents it wasn't much...oh I also forgot Chandhok and Trulli, causing Schumacher to be cheeky on Alonso.

I haven't voted anything as I am unsure :unsure:

I can't believe that I voted for "Monaco Should not be in Formula One"! :no:
I refuse to believe that I voted for that option... :dunno:
I reckon it must have been my evil twin. >:(

If I had my own vote (again), I'd vote that it should be in F1.... the tight circuit, the closeness of the walls, the excitement, the history (Damn! Didn't mean to mention history as a reason!), the fact that it's unique in F1, it requires a different setup/mindset to all other circuits... the list is, well, that's the list of my reasons. :D

I can't believe that I voted for "Monaco Should not be in Formula One"! :no:
I refuse to believe that I voted for that option... :dunno:
I reckon it must have been my evil twin. >:(

If I had my own vote (again), I'd vote that it should be in F1.... the tight circuit, the closeness of the walls, the excitement, the history (Damn! Didn't mean to mention history as a reason!), the fact that it's unique in F1, it requires a different setup/mindset to all other circuits... the list is, well, that's the list of my reasons. :D
It does have a certain "cachet", but in terms of spectacle it is quite often lacking. I'm sure it served it's purpose in times past, but most peeps would say that it is bloody boring.

But hey, it's a race and we need the fix, so let's be grateful :)

Back
Top Bottom