Michael Schumacher to drive for Ferrari in Valencia

Where will MS finish in Valencia?

• 1st

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RET

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If Ferrari were using F1 tyres I wonder what the punishment would be? Schumie disqualified before he even races? Ferrari excluded from the Championship? Given the recent history between Mosley and De Montezemello I can imagine the FIA will come down pretty hard if they have transgressed.

Blimey, As you say FB if Ferrari is found guilty it's going to be payback time at the FIA isn't it? What possible sanction could they take? You wouldn't have got much data using last years car and this years tyres but I guess it would have Schuey a bit of a feel for how the tyres grip. I would have thought that given the differing aero between last year and this year even those few laps couldn't have given Schuey much of an idea.

At the same time however, a ban is a ban. We will be watching this with interest no doubt.

Fat Bloke said:
Schumie disqualified before he even races?

I was the one who voted for him to be disqualified...

(Obviously it wouldn't be for barging someone off the road though ;))

the FIA rules do offer the option to change a rule if all competitors in the series agree.

this is in the FIA Rules and Regulations, in the International Sporting Code, article 199 amendments to regulations, regarding sporting rules and regulations: i point to point d, item c.

Changes to sporting rules and to all regulations other than
those referred to in b) above are published at least 20 days
prior to the opening date for entry applications for the
championship concerned, but never later than 30 November
each year. Such changes cannot come into effect before
1 January of the year following their publication, unless the
FIA considers that the changes in question are likely to have
a substantial impact on the technical design of the vehicle
and/or the balance of performance between the cars, in
which case they will come into effect no earlier than
1 January of the second year following their publication.

d) Shorter notice periods than those mentioned in b) and
c) may be applied, provided that the unanimous agreement
of all competitors properly entered for the championship or
series concerned is obtained.

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.ns ... v08ANG.pdf

so if the teams would have agreed on MS testing the F60, then according to the rules FIA would have agreed too.

bogaTYR said:
d) Shorter notice periods than those mentioned in b) and c) may be applied, provided that the unanimous agreement of all competitors properly entered for the championship or series concerned is obtained.

My interpretation of this would be that if the teams agreed the deadline can be foreshortened, I don't think this means the FIA would then simply rubber stamp the change.

So in this case the 100% approval of the teams was required because of timing, however it was not a given that this would allow the rule change/exception would subsequently be allowed by the FIA.

Personally given recent events and the FIA's positioning of itself I would have flipped the whole thing round and said the FIA should provide approval for the ratification of the other teams as I really don't think Williams deserve the media ramming home the perspective that they alone stopped MS testing. But then, surely that would require the FIA to make its position clear in time for people to react... :whistle:

exactly.

i for one was suprised this was in the rule book anyway. but now the situation makes kinda sense. for what its worth anyway cos its all hypotheical now anyway.

From the link above.

Indiscretion

Maranello, 4th August 2009 - Guess who opposed the test with the F60? A team that hasn't won anything for years and yet didn't pass over the opportunity to demonstrate once more a lack of spirit of fair play.
Just for the record, the Scuderia Ferrari had given its approval to let Alguersuari test, but it seems even in this instance someone decided to stick to the precise wording of the regulations.
That seems extremely childish to me
I'm amazed that was passed for publication by the team principal, press officer and other high-ups in Ferrari.

I can't understand Ferrari's complaint: "someone decided to stick to the precise wording of the regulations".
Err, isn't that what defined rules and regulations are for?

It would seem Ferrari are having trouble adapting to sticking to the same set of rules as everyone else now that their secret arrangements with the FIA have been cancelled.

Brogan said:
Maranello, 4th August 2009 - Guess who opposed the test with the F60? A team that hasn't won anything for years and yet didn't pass over the opportunity to demonstrate once more a lack of spirit of fair play.

So is the rule making of a sport dictated by how much a team has won in recent years? I was unaware that this was the guiding principle of rulemaking! That must be why the rules of cricket are written by Cricket Australia, the rules of football are written by the CBF and the rules of rugby union by the Springboks.

Fair play? What do these idiots mean by fair play?

The Scuderia Ferrari guide to Fair Play

• One team gets more money than the others - because of their brand identity
  • One team gets a unique technical veto for the same reasons
  • One team hordes undue political influence because the sport "couldn't live without them"
  • If one team is banned from doing something, no matter, a team should be allowed do do the same thing if they supported the other team's application!
  • Regulations should be ignored at all possible opportunites
  • If you can't win on the track, win in the courtroom

It is just ridiculous, and I think Sir Frank Williams will be laughing at just how agitated he's got the Scuderia here!

To use another of those phrases: He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword...

It seems Ferrari are unable to to make any decision wihout a hail of media, I hope they are prepared for the sort of backlash they'll get from this sort of statement.

That really is petulant in the extreme. I can’t imagine any other team having the brass neck to put something like that on their website. I presume Ferrari signed a contract to agree to race by this season's rules, well shut up and get on with it then. >:(

I've always liked/supported Ferrari to one degree or another, but at times they make it really hard!

>:( and I hope all Kimi sees is Rosberg's exhaust pipes disappearing into the distance in Valencia and Nakajima punts Schumie off at the first corner - end of >:(

I dunno, I think Sir Frank is making the right friends and di Montezemelo is starting to discover where the power in Formula 1 lies. And its not with him!

teabagyokel said:
I dunno, I think Sir Frank is making the right friends and di Montezemelo is starting to discover where the power in Formula 1 lies. And its not with him!

Well, we'll see about that. He might be needing an engine next year. Or the year after.

Why are Ferrari just singling Williams out though?

Red Bull and Toro Rosso have also denied their request.
Should Toro Rosso be looking for another engine supplier next year?

Brogan said:
Why are Ferrari just singling Williams out though?

Red Bull and Toro Rosso have also denied their request.
Should Toro Rosso be looking for another engine supplier next year?

Toro Rosso are looking for another engine supplier, aren't they? As for Williams' engine supplier, they've always got on with Cosworth if they're desperate. I can't see Williams ever running a Ferrari engine at any rate! If I was in F1, I'd want to be on Max and Bernie's side of the table because they have the power!

Back
Top Bottom