Michael Schumacher to drive for Ferrari in Valencia

Where will MS finish in Valencia?

• 1st

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RET

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
i voted for a win.

i am just pleased with all the news around michael's possible return. finally the news around F1 is exciting and positive. to me, schumie has already won.

Is that allowed? I recall an answer to a similar question in another place from GM that Jamie unspellable wasn't even allowed to practice in an '08 Torro Rosso.

I suppose it is Ferrari and they can veto any rules they don't like...

Well as it's just "testing" that is banned then I don't see how the FIA can prevent it.

What was the reason that JA wasn't permitted to get some practice laps done in an '08 car?

Posted by GM in another place (although I would like to take credit for my "cutting and pasting" abilities :D ) in an article entitled "Rookie Testing" and a comment about running in an old car:

I'm afraid that isn't allowed either - any testing by an F1 team regardless of what car they're running is strictly controlled.

"22.1 a) Track testing shall be considered any track running time undertaken by a competitor entered in the Championship with the exception of:

i) promotional or demonstration events carried out using tyres provided specifically for this purpose by the appointed supplier;

ii) three one day young driver training tests carried out between the end of the last Event of the Championship and 31 December of the same year, any such driver having not competed in more than two F1 World Championship Events;

iii) eight one day aerodynamic tests carried out on FIA approved straight line or constant radius sites between 1 January 2009 and the end of the last Event of the Championship.

b) No competitor may carry out more than 15,000km of track testing during a calendar year.

c) No track testing may take place between the start of the week preceding the first Event of the Championship and 31 December of the same year."

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-publi...ULATIONS (Showing Alterations) 24-03-2009.pdf

Thanks FB.

So essentially it came down to money (and possibly contacts?).
MS (Ferrari?) could afford to rent a 2007 F1 car and JA (Toro Rosso?) couldn't.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Interesting link Boga, I'd love to have a go. As to the discussion, I think if Ferrari are using this to get MS some track time they are really "pushing the envelope". I wonder what tyres were fitted, etc, etc.

Apparently FOTA have permitted Ferrari and MS to do some testing in a 2009 car?!

The Formula One Teams Association (FOTA) has agreed with Ferrari's request for Michael Schumacher to test its 2009 car at Mugello over the weekend. Although permission must be granted by the FIA for the run to go ahead, the German has currently run only the 2007 car on Friday.

New-for-2009 testing rules state that no running is allowed on circuits during the season apart from on Grand Prix weekends, although Ferrari discovered a loophole in sporting regulations which allowed its F2007 model to be used by Schumacher in Italy on Friday; whereas last year's car was prepared by Ferrari itself, the double title-winning 2007 version was prepared by F1 Clienti - although this is a workshop essentially owned by the Scuderia, rules state that running the car is not officially classed as a test.
Surely the FIA won't permit this after JA was refused?

Isn't it amazing that MS hasn't even turned a wheel on the track yet and him and Ferrari are already finding "loopholes" and expecting special favours

Source: http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/07/31/fota-says-yes-to-schumacher-test/

according to speedtv, this letter went out to all teams:

‘Subject: Request for MSC

‘Dear All,

‘As you are all aware of Michael Schumacher has accepted to evaluate the possibility to replace Felipe Massa until he will be able to compete again in the Championship.
‘Michael has however been away from F1 racing and from any kind of car racing since 2006 with the exception of a limited amount of testing for us in 2007.

‘In order to properly evaluate the possibility for his comeback we are therefore herewith requesting all competitors to the 2009 Championship as well as the FIA for the possibility to perform one day of official testing before the Valencia Grand Prix in derogation to Art. 22.1 c) of the 2009 Sporting Regulations and of the Testing Agreement. We would be grateful if you could confirm your agreement to the aforesaid.

‘With kind regards,
‘Massimo Rivola
‘Direttore Sportivo – Sporting Director’

It's irrelevant whether FOTA approve this request or not.

Rules are rules so the FIA should forbid it.
After all, they wouldn't let Jaime Alguersuari test a 2008 car, never mind a 2009 car.

bro, exactly. and then ferrari stands up and shows a letter; "look, all the FOTA teams agree".

FOTA serves ferrari bro. FOTA does not excist for any other reason. call me cynical, but thats what i think and i see more and more evidence for this.

Pick one from my suggested replies:

Dear Ferrari:

"Bugger Off"

"Only if we can come as well"

"Only if you promise to be good boys and not try out any new parts at the same time"

"Ok, and while we roll over could you take the trouble to tickle us on the belly, pat us on the head and give us a biscuit"

:D

Based on KERS announcement from Williams earlier today I can imagine a note with the words "b#@ger off" is currently winging it's way from Didcot/Wantage (wherever they are these days!).

Nice picture by the way Bro, self portrait? :snigger:

Has anyone actually visited compare the meerkat.com it's hilarious. You have to hand it too them it's a brilliant campaign.

:thumbsup: For the pic Bro, It's miles better than that awful Renault teddy thing. Didn't want to say anything before cause your the boss and all that.

ROFL

http://www.comparethemeerkat.com

ah yes, and what will the non FOTA teams make of this request? seems renault have already agreed with michael testing the F60.

cider_and_toast said:
:thumbsup: For the pic Bro, It's miles better than that awful Renault teddy thing. Didn't want to say anything before cause your the boss and all that.
LOL

The Vauxhall C'mon has been gone for ages.
I've had an old McLaren for the past few months.

Back on topic.....if this request is approved by the FIA then expect all the usual claims of Ferrari bias to resurface.

Support from Renault can only be because they want Ferrari to support their appeal against their ban, surely? Unless Flabio wants MS to replace Alonso next year...

argy aint schumi, the second coming... god, the whole of F1 must be really drooling now thinking of all that extra dosh coming in.

F1 Teams Response to Ferrari's Request:

McLARENWe just don't want a fight
BMWWe don't give a toss
RENAULTIf Schumi, then surely Grosjean...
TOYOTAWe'll go along with that, whatever
TORO ROSSOEr... we disagree, no we'll have the engine
RED BULLWe'll stick with Toro Rosso, eh?
WILLIAMSEr... no, you can't, boys
FORCE INDIAAre we involved?
BRAWNI like Mike, lets give him the time
[td]Team[/td][td]Response[/td]

Thats how I see it!

Back
Top Bottom