Current McLaren

Arguably one of the big teams in Formula One but lately they don't seem to be able to get the basics right.
Some of their strategy and decisions in the last few years has left more than a few observers scratching their heads.

Just a few for starters:
  • Leaving Kimi out on a badly flat-spotted tyre, resulting in it exploding on the last lap.
  • Leaving Hamilton out on tyres so badly worn they were down to the canvas; Bridgestone themselves demanded that McLaren bring him in and McLaren refused, keeping him out for a few more laps. That decision arguably cost Hamilton the first rookie WDC and is one which will haunt him and McLaren for the rest of their days.
  • Not sending Button and Hamilton out to get banker laps in during Q1.
  • Sending Hamilton out on used tyres in Q3, with rain forecast, meaning it would be impossible to set a fast lap time on his second attempt on new tyres.
Their major updates seem to send them further down the grid, instead of challenging for pole positions and wins. As the season progresses they tend to get worse before getting better, by which time it is generally too late.

It's often said of them "write them off at your peril", but is this necessarily true?

The last time they won the WCC was in 1998 and their last WDC was 2008, before that 1999.
Their days of regularly winning championships seem to be well and truly behind them.

It's all well and good coming up with reasons why they haven't won championships.
The fact remains though, they have won just one WDC in the last 12 years.

So where to now for McLaren?

(I wrote this in rather a hurry so I will flesh it out when I have more time.)

Here we fucking go again slagging off Jenson for no good reason other than spite...

Obviously now it is Jenson's fault that the the car's a dog at the moment was it Hamilton's fault the car was a dog at the beginning of 2009?

No obviously fucking not....

Mephistopheles
I'm never posting on the BBC .. all your is the same :censored: talk that Lewis is better than Jenson and would have done better in the car

the same old Lewis vs Jenson debate
blah blah blah.. had one comment degenerated into degrading the standard of english and what school you went to
had enough if some idiots have to resort to pathetic goading tactics

To be fair I don't see how anyone is rubbishing Button. Those were his quotes after all. I suppose it all depends on how much credit one is willing to give the drivers for the development of the car. I won't blame a driver for a car being slow any more than I would give him credit for it being fast (unless it's Alonso with his fabled 6-tenths of course ;)) Personally i've thought McLaren have been operationally shite since Malaysia last year - in fact more than a few people said as much but as it affected Hamilton they were shot down in flames as conspiracy theorists (that being said I REALLY don't want to get into another Hamilton v Button, I really couldn't give a fuck who people think is 'better', sports preferences are usually subjective and devoid of reasoning anyway).
I don't see McLaren not being competitive straight out of the box as much of a surprise. However, what I am surprised at is just how wrong they appear to have got it. As a McLaren fan since I started watching F1 I really hope they get it together, but I will go on record now with every confidence in saying that this is another year where McLaren will win bugger all and it's all they deserve to be honest.

Senna's_right_foot
The urge to run last year's car seems to loom large

Losing 2 seconds a lap of pace there is going to be some long faces at Woking amongst the engineers and late nights

Trouble is they've got 4 fly away races and it won;t be until Spain when they can diagnose the car properly unless it either rains or the conditions reduce their problems

Mephistopheles. That is very true. All I would have said, given that Lewywo4 has brought it up, is that his statement is a bit of a silly PR gaff on his part. However, now I will say further, and not to wind you up, the following: As much as everybody else, and many on here, knew the tyres were going to be quite different to last year's he must have too. They are a team that win and lose together and he is an integral part of it. If he is ready to accept credit for the car if it's good then he is obviously somewhat responsible if it's bad. If they are listening to him as much as he says then he could have piped up at any point and asked if everybody was sure they were doing the right thing.

So, I'm not slagging him off and please don't take offense, but I am being critical and I feel that it is just.

Il_leone - McLaren said earlier today they won't run last year's car so they're stuck with this one. It appears 'all' they have to do is figure out why the performance is so peaky. Look forward to McLaren being back at the front around Monza, then by Korea telling the world how confident they are about 2014 ;)

Can I just point out that it is bloody hard being a McLaren and a Jenson fan at the moment and it is even harder trying to bite my tongue when I read posts that seem gleeful or gloating at their misfortunes at this time, I am well aware of the position McLaren are in and am fully capable of discussing it in a rational fashion but at the moment these are open wounds and the salt is not necessary...

So forgive me if some of my posts are a bit, shall we say defensive..

Thanks...

I feel for you, mate. Please know that I take no pleasure in seeing anybody fail and I actually think it's a real shame that McLaren are in the state they have got themselves in, although I do get a little pleasure from being right or vindicated. I know that can be a little ugly, so sorry about that. I'll try to avoid the possibility of coming across as gloating next time I do an "I told you so". ;-)

Indeed. in fact, he was testing in McLaren's simulator in November 2006 in preparation for a return in 2007 and also ran laps at Catalunya but was 3 seconds off the pace. Then Hamilton was announced and that was that. His hour-long F1 Legends interview with Steve Ryder on Sky F1 is repeated regularly and is well worth a watch.

Back
Top Bottom