Current McLaren

Arguably one of the big teams in Formula One but lately they don't seem to be able to get the basics right.
Some of their strategy and decisions in the last few years has left more than a few observers scratching their heads.

Just a few for starters:
  • Leaving Kimi out on a badly flat-spotted tyre, resulting in it exploding on the last lap.
  • Leaving Hamilton out on tyres so badly worn they were down to the canvas; Bridgestone themselves demanded that McLaren bring him in and McLaren refused, keeping him out for a few more laps. That decision arguably cost Hamilton the first rookie WDC and is one which will haunt him and McLaren for the rest of their days.
  • Not sending Button and Hamilton out to get banker laps in during Q1.
  • Sending Hamilton out on used tyres in Q3, with rain forecast, meaning it would be impossible to set a fast lap time on his second attempt on new tyres.
Their major updates seem to send them further down the grid, instead of challenging for pole positions and wins. As the season progresses they tend to get worse before getting better, by which time it is generally too late.

It's often said of them "write them off at your peril", but is this necessarily true?

The last time they won the WCC was in 1998 and their last WDC was 2008, before that 1999.
Their days of regularly winning championships seem to be well and truly behind them.

It's all well and good coming up with reasons why they haven't won championships.
The fact remains though, they have won just one WDC in the last 12 years.

So where to now for McLaren?

(I wrote this in rather a hurry so I will flesh it out when I have more time.)

So how much do you guys think McLaren will or will not be affected by Lowes exit?

I found this quote encouraging - if true.

"Having Tim in the position is fantastic. He is the guy who designed the 2012 car that won seven races last year so he knows what he's doing," Button said.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105726

and this

Today however came the confirmation that McLaren has appointed Goss as Technical Director. Goss is an experienced engineer, who worked alongside now Ferrari technical director Pat Fry as senior designer of recent McLarens until Fry’s departure to Maranello. He designed the 2008 McLaren in which Hamilton won the world championship, as well as the 2010 car, which won five races and the 2012 car which won 7 races.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/...im-goss-appointed-mclaren-technical-director/

I don't believe they will be affected in the slightest, Lowe maybe good but he isn't exactly a guru, there are plenty of people who could fill his shoes and a lot that could do a better job, the team hasn't exactly flourished under him has it...

Chad Stewarthill

Well Newey was with Mclaren until 2006 right and they did not win the constructors title after 1998 with him on board

Yes Mclaren should have won 2007 constructors but did not because of politics

Mclaren have always managed to bounce back stronger than other teams to the front and will do so

Yes Button's comment about Lowe seems to have changed to avoid too much speculation from the press and change to a more upbeat sound

think about Mclaren have to move forward otherwise every race it will be the Lowe factor and it becomes a distraction

I guess the whole team got a dress down from Whitmarsh to focus ahead like any work place

Vodafone won't renew it's sponsorship of McLaren after 2013. Looks like a new sponsor is needed, perhaps a Mexican one? Telmex anyone? I guess the livery will change too... :(

There is a rumor (mind you, it's only a rumor) that Vodafone is pulling its sponsorship due to bad press they received after last year's Bahrain GP...

Back
Top Bottom