Current McLaren

Arguably one of the big teams in Formula One but lately they don't seem to be able to get the basics right.
Some of their strategy and decisions in the last few years has left more than a few observers scratching their heads.

Just a few for starters:
  • Leaving Kimi out on a badly flat-spotted tyre, resulting in it exploding on the last lap.
  • Leaving Hamilton out on tyres so badly worn they were down to the canvas; Bridgestone themselves demanded that McLaren bring him in and McLaren refused, keeping him out for a few more laps. That decision arguably cost Hamilton the first rookie WDC and is one which will haunt him and McLaren for the rest of their days.
  • Not sending Button and Hamilton out to get banker laps in during Q1.
  • Sending Hamilton out on used tyres in Q3, with rain forecast, meaning it would be impossible to set a fast lap time on his second attempt on new tyres.
Their major updates seem to send them further down the grid, instead of challenging for pole positions and wins. As the season progresses they tend to get worse before getting better, by which time it is generally too late.

It's often said of them "write them off at your peril", but is this necessarily true?

The last time they won the WCC was in 1998 and their last WDC was 2008, before that 1999.
Their days of regularly winning championships seem to be well and truly behind them.

It's all well and good coming up with reasons why they haven't won championships.
The fact remains though, they have won just one WDC in the last 12 years.

So where to now for McLaren?

(I wrote this in rather a hurry so I will flesh it out when I have more time.)

Not sure I follow you Jen.

Are you theorizing that McLaren pushed him out this year because they knew that a Red Bull drive was an impossibility? And that they could afford to run the risk of not employing him because he would be "stuck" at an inferior team anyway?

In a contract things like PR days should have a monetary value, do them and get paid more, don't do them and get paid less. I have to say, I can't see Santander being overly excited at the prospect of cardboard cut-outs of Jenson and Sergio in the branches. Most will be "who are they?" I find it hard to believe McLaren are that short sighted.

I predict a 2013 season dominated by Redbull and Ferrari with Lotus, McLaren and Mercedes picking up the remnants and I have a suspicion McLaren will finish 5th..

Someone already said it but all this split has done is weaken both parties.
McLaren and Hamilton will both achieve less next season.

The only winners are Mercedes who have replaced an ageing, not-so-good-anymore Schumacher with a younger driving-at-his-best Hamilton but even that won't be enough to make a difference unless the car is significantly better.

Certainly a possibility Hamberg. Whilst I am a driver supporter (rather than team), all drivers understand that they need a competitive team to be able to compete for the WDC and all teams will try to sign up the best drivers to increase their chances of cracking the WCC.

F1 is a very complex world and, also, very secretive.

KekeTheKing, no not suggesting that at all (and I certainly don't think McLaren 'pushed him out'). Just theorising that once McLaren knew that LH was leaving them (of his own volition), they weren't too fussed as to his next team knowing that it was likely to be Mercedes - without significant improvement at Mercedes next season, LH ceases to be a worry and one more competitor is put on the back burner.

Because racecubs argument as to why Perez shouldn't be paid anymore than peanuts is because he is young and inexperienced. Well so was Hamilton, nobody knew what he was going to achieve in that first year yet he was given a pretty good contract.

Besides, given McLaren't form of late having a car that finishes that many races in a row would be an accomplishment.

It was less than half a million in 2007. It only rose AFTER he proved himself at McLaren. And I didn't say Perez should be paid peanuts, I specifically stated that. I said I suspect he would have accepted it.

Yes, Perez's salary is effectively being paid by Telmex, and I'm sure the total contribution will be well in excess of 11 million when all's said and done.

McLaren thought they had the upper hand in negotiations because, er, they did. Hamilton has taken a huge risk with an outside chance of it coming off.

Back
Top Bottom