Current McLaren

Arguably one of the big teams in Formula One but lately they don't seem to be able to get the basics right.
Some of their strategy and decisions in the last few years has left more than a few observers scratching their heads.

Just a few for starters:
  • Leaving Kimi out on a badly flat-spotted tyre, resulting in it exploding on the last lap.
  • Leaving Hamilton out on tyres so badly worn they were down to the canvas; Bridgestone themselves demanded that McLaren bring him in and McLaren refused, keeping him out for a few more laps. That decision arguably cost Hamilton the first rookie WDC and is one which will haunt him and McLaren for the rest of their days.
  • Not sending Button and Hamilton out to get banker laps in during Q1.
  • Sending Hamilton out on used tyres in Q3, with rain forecast, meaning it would be impossible to set a fast lap time on his second attempt on new tyres.
Their major updates seem to send them further down the grid, instead of challenging for pole positions and wins. As the season progresses they tend to get worse before getting better, by which time it is generally too late.

It's often said of them "write them off at your peril", but is this necessarily true?

The last time they won the WCC was in 1998 and their last WDC was 2008, before that 1999.
Their days of regularly winning championships seem to be well and truly behind them.

It's all well and good coming up with reasons why they haven't won championships.
The fact remains though, they have won just one WDC in the last 12 years.

So where to now for McLaren?

(I wrote this in rather a hurry so I will flesh it out when I have more time.)

that was an abysmal performance by McLaren. Two races in a row now Lewis has had 'issues' with his car. they don't deserve the WCC.They look so unprofessional.

Well there goes another season, when will McLaren learn. 15 seasons since they last won the WCC:rolleyes: Something has to change in terms of how they go about things as whatever they are doing clearly isn't conducive to winning titles. Whether it's the way they rely so heavily on 'data', their attitude towards developing the car, their attitude of driver equality, I have no idea. But clearly whatever they are doing at the moment isn't working. McLaren are fast becoming the Arsenal of Formula 1 - they used to be great and are still considered one of the top teams, just not the very top, they've won things in the past and will still have moments when they look like they're back to their best again, yet somehow it all fizzes out and they end the season dissapointed wondering what could have been and looking forward to next season more in hope than expectancy.:rolleyes:

They have made a total hash of this season, haven't they? Not only have they lost both titles which should have been well in reach but they have also lost one of the top three drivers. They seem to have made errors at some point or another in this season in every facet of their operation. They really do need a massive rethink and it seems to me that it is inspirational leadership that they are missing. I stress "inspirational".

I'll maintain that signing Sam Michael was a bad move for MClaren:no:

Heads will roll that is not Mclaren's style

Martin Whitmarsh is nicknamed Martin Whiplash according to some German guy who was made redundant by Mclaren I met a while back after 20 years

the one area where it is a concern for MClaren is supposedly they run a matrix structure where the staff have got two lines of reporting to answer to.... lets get this straight no structure is perfect if you want to compare it the more division reporting to the Mercedes or the messy spaghetti culture of Ferrari

they all have their own problems to resolve

I still think Mclaren should try and get Honda engines for 2014 on an exclusive deal

The problem is I think Whitmarsh is more of a business manager than a racing manager. Too focused on the corporate side of things rather than the actual business that is racing.
It's all numbers and projections and meetings rather than actually looking at the track and seeing what is actually going on.

F1Yorkshire
ROn Dennis is a business manager and leaves the racing decisions to his engineers...

Being the most senior manager that is the sort of role you would take not get hands on involvement

Being Mclaren they seem to have a lot of business commitments to sponsors which the drivers have complained about both of them so clearly its an unwanted distraction

Mclaren's expansion from just racing team to other technology sectors will always cause organisational problems in some way

I Agree with much of what's been written here concerning Mclarens current state of affairs. I find it interesting because some time back these things were being pointed out, but the people who were pointing them out we're labeled conspiracy theorists or loonies. but that's in the past and there now seems to be a consensus that management and operations at McLaren are woeful. I do think its sad that things are in such a mess. I honestly believe that Lewis' preferred option would have been to remain at a competitive, well run McLaren. But it wasnt to be and now McLaren have lost Lewis and have no top line driver. I think Lewis found the decision very difficult to make , which is why it took so long, but the last two races have vindicated his decision and he should not regret it. I don't know what the answer is for McLaren, they seem to be sinking more and more into a mess, their systems and methods aren't working but they seem reluctant to change.

Quintessentially

I think Mclaren are bargaining on Perez coming good long term. Although hat's off to Hulkenberg he's putting in some stellar performances recently.

I think Mclaren's problems all started around the time Alonso and Hamilton went to the team. The season before Raikkonen was number 1 after Montoya left, so they through all their resources at him. Alonso wanted number 1 status Hamilton wanted equal status. Since then they've become a team about two drivers and have lost out massively bar 2008 in this. When Button signed a new deal at Mclaren to be there for three more season or rest of career, Lewis just knew he had to get out.

If next season Mclaren pinpoint Jenson as Number 1 and build the team and championship around him they'll do fine. Perez will win races but I think Mclaren will nurse him gently into the role of team leader once Jenson hangs up his driving gloves.

Back
Top Bottom