Current McLaren

Arguably one of the big teams in Formula One but lately they don't seem to be able to get the basics right.
Some of their strategy and decisions in the last few years has left more than a few observers scratching their heads.

Just a few for starters:
  • Leaving Kimi out on a badly flat-spotted tyre, resulting in it exploding on the last lap.
  • Leaving Hamilton out on tyres so badly worn they were down to the canvas; Bridgestone themselves demanded that McLaren bring him in and McLaren refused, keeping him out for a few more laps. That decision arguably cost Hamilton the first rookie WDC and is one which will haunt him and McLaren for the rest of their days.
  • Not sending Button and Hamilton out to get banker laps in during Q1.
  • Sending Hamilton out on used tyres in Q3, with rain forecast, meaning it would be impossible to set a fast lap time on his second attempt on new tyres.
Their major updates seem to send them further down the grid, instead of challenging for pole positions and wins. As the season progresses they tend to get worse before getting better, by which time it is generally too late.

It's often said of them "write them off at your peril", but is this necessarily true?

The last time they won the WCC was in 1998 and their last WDC was 2008, before that 1999.
Their days of regularly winning championships seem to be well and truly behind them.

It's all well and good coming up with reasons why they haven't won championships.
The fact remains though, they have won just one WDC in the last 12 years.

So where to now for McLaren?

(I wrote this in rather a hurry so I will flesh it out when I have more time.)

Actually, if they, as Jez says, are using this test to try some extreme things and/or see how the results from the simulator feel on track/calibrating their simulator then this is all about improving the team as that could massively improve any future tests they do on the simulator. Lewis wouldn't be very useful if that's the case (and neither would Button). Just saying.

Maybe we'll actually get to hear the reason for this decision soon? It would probably be best to wait for that instead of speculating...

So McLaren are testing and theyve decided to use their 'test' drivers?? Shocking!

"The reason why we're not there is because we've never been to Mugello before, I don't really think we will be a benefit because there aren't any massive updates to try. For the test drivers to put some miles on parts and try some very extreme things, then I think it's good, but it's not necessary for us to be there"

You don't think Hamilton was possibly reacting to last weekend and his comments have been blown up by the media?
Button's explanation is perfectly reasonable.

You dont think Button was possibly reacting to the fact that he couldnt get to the test so didnt want Hamilton to go? Never mind the fact that Mclaren really needs its race drivers there after last weekend, McLarens needs are secondary.

Yes, I bet they're furious: snip/I bet the stakeholders in McLaren are absolutely furious!

No chance, I bet they were ecstatic at the Bahrain 'home' race

Maybe not after the first but definetely by the second LH pitstop they would have been jumping with joy. Probably shaking with excitement at how many extra McLaren road cars will be bought by rich punters who will never expect to have their cars serviced properly by the brand Mclaren.

Oh well Ferrari sold many cars even whilst their F1 team was hapless, just shows what you can get away with when you are a sports car maker with 50 years of history and a loyal fanbase for your 170k plus product

And this is definetely the time to break into the supercar market, when everything is picking up and more and more people can buy a 170k car that doesn't need efficient servicing

So Red Bull, Ferrari, Merc, Renault are all taking thier their drivers to be around or even take part

HRT and McLaren are not taking their drivers at all because it won't help their situation at all

Reminds me of McLaren missing testing when the new tyres were wheeled out, that was a stoke of genius, Seb on the other hand actually went to the factory, waste of time, he was going to win the WC anyway

Because, and only because, The competitors are doing the same

If you are clearly better than your competitors, then play by the book, but if your competitors are very very close, do you
A) match what they do to prevent them gaining even a slight advantage
B) stick to the business school manual and let the testers test
C) cover all bases, send one driver or at least have both around to participate in the debrief of the testers whilst things are fresh
D) know that there is no magic, and coming first is only possible for one team, and doing your best and keeping everyone happy is rosy

They can gain;
A) confidence that they are not missing any tricks wrt The competition
B) the ability to have even more input to direction of car (pardon the pun)
C) more time incar between the last and the next race to assimilate new info
D) the contentment of LH feeling that he team listen to his wishes once a year
E) Apart from all the above, merely the chance of gaining an advantage over HRT

Anyway drivers are drivers, JB and LH would ultimately do the testing job better than 'less celebrated' testers

Why not have one or both drivers there as well as testers?

When you are ruthlessly competing you don't take chances, you match your competitors unless you have an advantag by not doing so

Where is the advantage of not having one or both drivers around even if for the debrief?

You've not answered my question. I'll try it another way. Do you understand the role Paffett and Turvey play at McLaren? Not just their job title, what they actually do?

This is getting silly, Force India are putting Jules Bianchi in the car for a minimum of 9 Friday FP sessions this season and he's testing at Mugello, where is the uproar concerning that? Paffett and Turvey are test, reserve and development drivers, that's what they do, why not use them at a test?

You asked 'what will they gain that the testers won't?
I gave you a myriad of possibilities, but you obviously require a specific answer that will fit into your 'reasonable and sensible status quo, way to go, opinion

Let's try to help you

There is nothing the drivers could do that the testers can't

Except feel confident that all their nearest competitors have not gained any advantage in these days of limited testing

Right so you clearly have no idea what anyone other than Lewis Hamilton (even that's questionable) does.

'donkey kong' testers? Hamilton drives for a team, learning about the key technical team would be hugely advantageous if you want to comment further on this thread.

Except feel confident that all their nearest competitors have not gained any advantage in these days of limited testing

Unless Button and Hamilton are so insecure in themselves, I can't really see themselves being overly worried about the fact that their test and development drivers are doing the testing! Certainly, it wouldn't affect them once they get to Barcelona!

What's most likely is that all the other teams don't have the same quality of test/development driver and are less confident in the input that they'd be able to give!

racecub

Hamilton and Button are very much likely to be on the simulator practicing Barcelona or training. What do you think is more important, spending time at a track testing upgrades they have not really had input in developing on a track they don't race at or practicing racing?

Who is the best driver on the grid in your opinion?

Back
Top Bottom