Current McLaren

Arguably one of the big teams in Formula One but lately they don't seem to be able to get the basics right.
Some of their strategy and decisions in the last few years has left more than a few observers scratching their heads.

Just a few for starters:
  • Leaving Kimi out on a badly flat-spotted tyre, resulting in it exploding on the last lap.
  • Leaving Hamilton out on tyres so badly worn they were down to the canvas; Bridgestone themselves demanded that McLaren bring him in and McLaren refused, keeping him out for a few more laps. That decision arguably cost Hamilton the first rookie WDC and is one which will haunt him and McLaren for the rest of their days.
  • Not sending Button and Hamilton out to get banker laps in during Q1.
  • Sending Hamilton out on used tyres in Q3, with rain forecast, meaning it would be impossible to set a fast lap time on his second attempt on new tyres.
Their major updates seem to send them further down the grid, instead of challenging for pole positions and wins. As the season progresses they tend to get worse before getting better, by which time it is generally too late.

It's often said of them "write them off at your peril", but is this necessarily true?

The last time they won the WCC was in 1998 and their last WDC was 2008, before that 1999.
Their days of regularly winning championships seem to be well and truly behind them.

It's all well and good coming up with reasons why they haven't won championships.
The fact remains though, they have won just one WDC in the last 12 years.

So where to now for McLaren?

(I wrote this in rather a hurry so I will flesh it out when I have more time.)

Well, the BBC analysis of practice never fails to amuse me... Apparently, Vandoorne "could be faster than Button", having set a lap 1 second slower - albeit on the slower tyres... What a non-story!

That's nothing. Tom Clarkson almost declared on the live feed that he was deeply in love with Vandoorne such was his joy that Vandoorne had....... Dum dum duuuummm.

Stoped in exactly the right place during a practice pit stop.

Me thinks there are a few bored hacks around the BBC at the moment.

teabagyokel Well Button at the moment seeing he is older and has only a 1 year contract

BUT the more races Alonso misses the questions will be raised whether he is still the driver who can deliver a 3rd world title Mark Webber thinks Mclaren Honda won't be sorted out until 2018 !

Excellent time in P2 for Button! Do you think that was representative of a step forward for McLaren? Track specific? Or, do the Bahraini's still own part of McLaren? I can't remember. Could he have set that time on very low fuel to impress Bahraini's? Whatever it was impressive!!

Yes, I think Ferrari didn't try hard for a time. Were working out how the medium tyres work. Still.......it leaves it intriguing.

Well Raikkonen did do a eun on the super-softs towards the end of FP2 though....

I actually do do get the feeling that McLaren have made a bit of a step forward, on this track anyway. They did bring a few updates for Bahrain, which have somewhat slipped under the radar under the glare of the news about FA. There would have been no question last season of a McLaren driver ending a session "only" 1.2 s adrift of the lead Mercedes with the same tyre on, whatever the fuel load, or weather conditions.

Last edited:
To early to say but McLaren may have started the step-up some of us have been hoping for. I've never stopped believing. There'll be so much more to come. :thumbsup:

McLaren must be feeling very pleased with that result, and just as pleased that they were running at or slightly quicker than the teams that they were racing against. There is still a long way to go but the famous green shoots of recovery are just about visible.

Sky reported that McLaren are due a hefty aero upgrade in time for Barcelona, though they're still gonna be hamstrung with that Honda engine. Promising show today but I doubt there'll be many celebrations for McLaren this year. They'll get there eventually. But a few more promising shows like today could make them a much more attractive proposition for drivers looking to jump ship next year.

Hammy back to McLaren in the next couple of years perhaps?

The engines improving and they still have plenty of tokens to use when they're ready. They have made gains which is not easy in the away races. When they return to Europe and are closer to their factory the bigger upgrades will start to be phased in. Fernando will re-sign for 2017 based on this year, I'd put money on it.

Mclaren are currently behind Merc. Red Bull , Ferrari , Williams and Toro Rosso.

Their pace suggest they are getting closer to Williams, Toro Rosso, Force India and Haas and with the resources they have I think 4th place could be a shot for them as the teams above will lose the development race

If the Honda engine can find more power then on power circuits they may not be as handicapped..

They are in a better position than last year but it is still a long way to go

The engines improving and they still have plenty of tokens to use when they're ready. They have made gains which is not easy in the away races. When they return to Europe and are closer to their factory the bigger upgrades will start to be phased in. Fernando will re-sign for 2017 based on this year, I'd put money on it.

Alonso doesn't need to re-sign for 2017; he has a 3 year contract!

There is more chance it seems at the moment that Alonso will not be around next season then actually committing to his contract whenever he has a big crash or bad race

Back
Top Bottom