Lewis vs Pastor

Status
Not open for further replies.
FB
That said, re Massa..yes he finally stopped after he got a penalty .........IMO what he deserved, but it was unfair that LH had been robbed of so many WDC points, for 50/50 racing incidents....when trying to stop boring processions...... trying adventurous overtakes, not poncy DRS aided.....now you have to stay still, while I overtake you type.
Anyone questioning whether Lewis could have kept it on the track & kept a podium position at Valencia should watch the last couple of laps of Spa 2008...on slicks in the rain...IMO best win he has had....edit ..it was gifted to Ferrari's Felipe...post race 20 sec penalty for LH...A frickin joke.....Please watch last laps & make up your own mind,similar except LH played it by the rules. As for Pastor...well he has already crashed out on a last lap this year....could have happened again...
An interesting comment in the first of Keke's vids...when PM has swiped the front of Lewis' car..MBrundle " That sends all the wrong signals out, to all the young drivers around the world"

The Artist..... okay understand - I just believe he's becoming the boy that cried wolf. It's never his fault and there are always mitigating factors as far as Maldonado is concerned. I personally was shouting at the screen telling Hamilton just to give way - because of who he was up against, not because he should. I would trust Alonso, Button, Raikkonen, even Kobayashi to not make race ending contact. It's not right that a driver should be forced to concede because the other driver likes to play bumper cars!

As for the position on crowding - didn't the Rosberg investigations and subsequent drivers briefing prove that type of defending is in fact acceptable? A very recent precedent has been set that what Hamilton did (shoddy tyres or not) was perfectly reasonable. I agree had there been many more laps left defending was pointless, but we were talking about 2 which was perfectly reasonable to try and hang on for.

I personally was shouting at the screen telling Hamilton just to give way - because of who he was up against, not because he should.

Exactly the point; lots of us thought HAM there was little point putting up a defence because it was almost inevitable that he would get overtake. RAI didn't manage the overtake on either straight but positioned himself to simply out-traction HAM in the T19-25 sequence.

The argument being put forward by HAM's detractors (who claim not to be blaming him), is that the defence was too robust - crowding no less, and complete misuse of this rule. I certainly didn't see it as strong defence, and don't recall any of the experts or pundits doing so (I think EJ may have mentioned something, but he barely qualifies).

Not that I disagree with it, per se, but the rationale behind saying "be cautious defending against Maldonado" is a bit like saying "make sure you're really REALLY clear of Webber when you're overtaking" as he'll always defend to the utmost. I'm a Hamilton fan, I make no bones about it, but he's done plenty that's annoyed/disappointed me. This latest incident doesn't fall into that category so much for me.

As for The Artist.....'s comment on Ayrton Senna, I'd agree, but I'd also like to think that true Senna and F1 fans know that Senna was a ruthless gentleman-of-questionable-parentage at times, which we didn't like, but he also did things behind that wheel that were hard to believe, which we did like.

The Artist..... okay understand - I just believe he's becoming the boy that cried wolf. It's never his fault and there are always mitigating factors as far as Maldonado is concerned. I personally was shouting at the screen telling Hamilton just to give way - because of who he was up against, not because he should. I would trust Alonso, Button, Raikkonen, even Kobayashi to not make race ending contact. It's not right that a driver should be forced to concede because the other driver likes to play bumper cars!

As for the position on crowding - didn't the Rosberg investigations and subsequent drivers briefing prove that type of defending is in fact acceptable? A very recent precedent has been set that what Hamilton did (shoddy tyres or not) was perfectly reasonable. I agree had there been many more laps left defending was pointless, but we were talking about 2 which was perfectly reasonable to try and hang on for.

Hamberg, I agree with nearly all of that. I know there have been some posts saying Lewis (or any other driver) should not concede a position, but my view is that is exactly what he should have done. Fighting with Maldonado was futile, regardless of Maldonado's mental ability (which is questionable at best). He couldn't have defended until the end of the lap, let alone 2 laps. Trying to hold PM off just slowed him down more, and Schumacher & Webber would also have got past. Regardless of this, consistency - which Lewis has had so far, will win this year's championship and he needed the points.

What would he rather have, the WDC trophy in his hand, or the chance to tell everyone "at least that B*****d didn't take me round the outside".

Maldanado took Lewis out of the race at turn 13 lap 56...less than one and a half laps to go. Lewis...pumped up with adrenaline, instinct is to drive/defend like a racer...if his team had told him to let PM pass...he would have. They had told him a few laps earlier that he was quicker than the leader, encouraging him to try harder. I don't suppose we will get to hear anything ...that's if there was any team radio, giving him info, on who was coming up behind him..,...,

Well, Maldonado has been guilty of chopping, at Spa last year, and Monaco this year. Was this incident on purpose? I do not know. Was it clumsy? Yes. unecessary? Yes. was the punishment in line with the crime? Well, opinion differs, and depends on the motive, also whether you take into account history, and form of the driver in question, I am not sure what leeway the powers that be have, or are willing to take in that respect. As has been said before, in my opinion, he should have been banned following monaco, so not in a position for this, but he wasnt.

With respect of Lewis, I think it depends on how harsh you feel like being, although the worst that can be said is that he did not leave enough room. If that was the case, Maldonado should have done what many others did, and cut the corner. He could then have relieved his tension by waving his hand, or making some sort of expletive over the radio. He could also have backed off, and tucked in behind, also, as many have done. Discretion is the better part of valour and all that. But he chose to come back on to the track in a spot where there was already a car. For which he was punished, very lightly in real terms.

Should Lewis have got out of the way? No. Could Lewis have got out of the way? Possibly. I struggle a little with this, I will be honest. In life, sometimes it is better to avoid a potential issue, and come away with something, rather than risk what you have, and this was one of those instances. Lewis was not wrong to defend as he did, and Maldonado was wrong, but avoinding the incident, with hindsight would have saved some points. The big issue I have with that, is it allows a driver to get away with it, unless it is likely that Maldonado would still have been penalised, regardless of the absence of contact (Hamilton in Hungary '11?)

I hope we see more of Barcelona Maldonado, and no more of Monaco Maldonado, or at least, let him hit Vettel or someone that evokes less passion!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom