1. If you can see this message then you are on the new server.

The site is now available via a secure URL: https://cliptheapex.com

Dismiss Notice

Current Lance Stroll

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by RasputinLives, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Rutherford

Rutherford Podium Finisher

Ah, sorry, then that's another one for Stroll for being the youngest.

2. Rutherford

Stroll is currently in Japan and preparing for the Asian races.
    I don’t like it. On the one hand, he is putting effort in to improve and be competitive, on the other hand, he shouldn’t have to do it and it simply proves that he is / was not ready for F1. A year in F2 would’ve been good, this is his fourth or fifth test which has been reported on this season.

3. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Not dead Contributor

Have any other drivers had tests between races?

4. Rutherford

Come on, I know you like to defend him, but it is blatantly clear that he wasn't ready for F1 and is now playing catch-up. Furthermore, you know as well as I do that other drivers don't go testing throughout the season, this isn't common procedure in this era.
    He simply has a disadvantage due to not being able to develop his race craft in F2 which is why he is having to do these sessions.

5. RasputinLives

Actually I was asking the question for a real answer rather than defending him. Lance Isn't the only one who can afford this so I wondered if anyone else had ever undertaken a programme like it.

As for having a year in F2 first - you are probably right but drivers take the opportunity when it comes. The last driver I know who decided to get more experience in a junior formula rather than F1 was Vandorne and it did him no favours whatsoever.

Greenlantern101, Andyoak and Galahad like this.
  6. Rutherford

Actually, if you compare Vandoorne with Alonso then you'll see that the gap is smaller than the gap between Stroll and Massa, also Massa was beaten by more than 0.5 secs. on average by Alonso whilst they were teammates. If one is to take the qualifying gap as a reference, then one could say that other categories did help Vandoorne to improve his race craft and gain experience. Vandoorne also did a lot less pre-season testing than Stroll, so he is really doing a decent job against Alonso.

7. RasputinLives

I wasn't comparing Vandorne and Stroll.

Vandorne turned down a Torro Rosso seat for 2014. They wanted him over Kvyat. Kvyat subsequently got promoted to the main Red Bull team in 2015. There is no doubt in my mind that Vandorne would have done at least a good a job as Kvyat in 2014 and thus been drafted in to replace Vettel at Red Bull. I'm pretty sure he'd have done a good job there and we'd prob have Vandorne vs Verstappen going off at the min. Instead he had to wait until 2017 and is kicking his heels at the back as an Alonso after thought. It Isn't a good advert for 'taking time to develop in the junior formula'.

So what I meant was I can see why drivers jump at an F1 seat even if they aren't ready. No one wants to miss their chance.

8. Rutherford

Stroll bought his way into Williams. He could have bought his way into Williams a year later. He is the reason why Massa 'retired', because Williams planned on teaming Stroll up with Bottas. Massa is only there now, because Bottas moved to Mercedes. Stroll, unlike Vandoorne therefore, is in the position to buy his way into a team. Stroll could have afforded to do a year in F2 to gain experience and to develop.

In contrast to Vandoorne who knowingly signed up for a team which had taken Alonso under contract for 2015 and had also extended Buttons contract. He knew he'd be in this situation and for some reason, he chose McLaren and Alonso over Toro Rosso. In light of the aftermath concerning Alguersuari - Dr. Marko had assured him, he'd be racing for Red Bull, Vandoorne may not have considered a move to Toro Rosso as a viable move. Furthermore, Sainz career was heading nowhere until now, as it seems there is a deal between Renault, Toro Rosso and McLaren. Additionally, Vergne and Buemi never got a chance to race in F1 again, because they also never had backing by any other sponsors, because they signed up for Red Bull und thus, were not permitted to have any other major sponsors which hindered their career, as they would have to bring money with them to another team.
    It isn't a good advert to sign up for Toro Rosso and take ones chances.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  9. teabagyokel

teabagyokel #dejavu Valued Member

That's possibly true, but there are still only 20 seats. He could have still found himself pushed out when a young kid turns up with a tonne of talent and a tonne of cash in GP3 or F2. Even with every advantage, it could still go wrong.

10. RasputinLives

I disagree completely. I think Vandorne's career would be in much better shape if he'd signed that contract. But that neither here nor there.

Stroll didn't take another year in junior formula and now he's here and has sunk. Get some testing done and move on.

11. Rutherford

teabagyokel He has brought 80 Mio.$ to Williams who on this planet, or more concretely in F2, can pile up that much money? He bought he way straight into a midfield team, not some backmarker like other pay drivers do.

RasputinLives Vandoornes career is in great shape, he's in F1 and Alonsos teammate who is considered to be one of the best in F1. What more could anyone ask for than challenge one of the greatest of this sport? It's better than racing against another rookie / no name.
    He's also fairing quite well which bolsters his reputation.

gethinceri likes this.
  12. teabagyokel

Exactly. What if they could earn half that for a driver with a better record? A midfield team considers it, especially if he doesn't set F2 alight.

13. RasputinLives

He's tootling around at the back as a 2ND class citizen. Would much rather see him in a Red Bull.

Why you beating up on Lance anyways? Podium and front row start. Not bad for a rookie in the 6th best team.

Greenlantern101 and gethinceri like this.
  14. Rutherford

Come on... beating up... again... I am that bad? :)

He wouldn't have been signed up for Red Bull and if he were he would've faced the same predicament as Kvyat in light of the rise of Verstappen.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  15. RasputinLives

Vandorne is better than Verstappen.

16. Rutherford

LOL.

gethinceri likes this.
  17. RasputinLives

18. Rutherford

What's the fact that you believe that Vandoorne is better than Verstappen or that Vandoorne is better than Verstappen. If the latter is also a fact, then please provide proof, because evidence leads to facts. ;)

19. teabagyokel

Vandoorne is better than Kvyat. It is slightly irrelevant if he is better than Verstappen. The question that would have decided his fate at Red Bull is his comparison to Ricciardo.

20. RasputinLives

I'd provide evidence but you'd probably nitpick the spelling ;)

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice