Jenson Button

Arguably the best ever driver in mixed conditions, all his wins at Mclaren have come in those conditions. His last race win in the dry came at the 2009 Turkish GP.

Button is known for his smooth driving style and is normally seen in must races doing one less stop than his rivals for tyres.

Buttons also know to be a bit of a practical joker and will take part in anything fun.

Since his debut in 2000 Button has won the majority of hearts in this country. But what is your favourite JB win?

Mine has to be Hungaroring 2006, in argubly a midfield team and he won the race in those mixed conditions to take his first win. I can remember James Allen been in tears almost and that was the first race Anthony Davidson ever commentated on.

I wonder if Honda will have any input on the final decision because purely from a marketing point of view I'm reasonably sure they would want Button over KMag in the car?

But my point is that would Jenson want to stick around in F1 as a number two driver, that just ain't his style and all his remarks so far indicate to me that this is the sticking point on whether he is resigned or not...

What was it he said? Something like "I don't want to drive in a car I can't win in." Change "can't" for "Not allowed," and his answer has some meaning, and also when asked if he was offered a drive with McLaren next year would he take it, his reply.

He sucked air in through his teath and then said "I'm not sure." this to me suggests that he can have a drive with McLaren if he plays number two and quite honestly I don't think he is prepared to do that..

Last edited:
It depends what he wants doesn't it. Race on for the fun of it and put the team status to one side accepting that he's going to be teamed up with another "player of games" or call it quits and go off and do something else.

He's made his money, he has a world title, there's nothing left to prove. The trouble is, the position that F1 has got itself in, it seems like from a drivers point of view there's everything to lose. What's wrong with being crowned World Sports Car Champion?? A touring car champion? Winner of Le Mans?? Have a crack at the Indy 500? Sebring 24hrs etc etc.

There is a whole world of motorsport out there that seems to be perceived as second rate due to the fact that Prop Mr B Ecclestone has created that impression. Christ almighty Button's from Somerset, why not go off and spend a season trying to become UK Tractor Pulling Champion ??

Jenson aint got much to lose anyway if he stays at Mclaren - like he said he has nothing to prove

If Alonso beats him it is because it was expected if you use Hamilton as the benchmark or say Fernando asked to be No 1

If Jenson wins its because he is a lot better than people think

KMag - yes he is one for the future but he has not sorted out his race pace which is a worry for the team... like I said Alonso aint going to offer KMag advice how to be better prepared for Sunday racing

I absolutely agree cider_and_toast all those titles would look great on any drivers CV but there is another problem with F1 and I think Martin Brundle said it best which is, there are a lot of drivers who have already been signed for next year who couldn't hold a candle to Jenson.

This doesn't bode well for the sport as it stands, because it is meant to be the best drivers competing against each other not the one's with biggest wallets...

Last edited:
Though to be fair that's been the case for decades. Button's story reminds me of the situation faced by John Watson in 83/84. He was proven race winner with bags of experience and found himself out of a drive when his contract negotiations stalled and Prost suddenly became available.

I'm a great fan of Jenson, always have been, but Alonso will prove to be many many millions better. The coming seasons, providing McLaren put a decent car under him, will show just how good Alonso is and remove any doubts some still have. Notice I said seasons (plural), 2015 will be a development year 2016-2017 should be special for McLaren and Alonso.

The coming seasons, providing McLaren put a decent car under him, will show just how good Alonso is and remove any doubts some still have.

You could easily replace Alonso with Button in that statement and it would hold no less weight. Because of your caveat I've bolded.

Last edited:
I still don't hold a massive ammount of faith that Honda will be hot out of the box. They've got no real record of this. For example, in the 80's it took them around 3 years to become competative (though I admit their first year was always going to be a developmental season in the back of the Spirit Racing car). Button knows more than anyone what it was like waiting for Honda to develop a decent car the last time they were in F1. When they finally got the chassis right it was powered by a Mercedes engine to the title.

Maybe another factor on future decsions for Button could be his willingness or otherwise to help create another competative car and go through the development work required to do that. I would imagine there would be much burning of the midnight oil as soon as the season ends to get the new engine integrated into next years McLaren and take it forward.

Last edited:
Which is why I left out your first sentence. As soon as you bring " as long as they are given a decent car" into an argument you basically lessen the impact. TBY has shown why you didn't need to for Alonso.

still I think Mclaren look better with Alonso and Button than Alonso and K Mag if they want to get through initial phase with Honda developing

It took Honda back in the 80's a couple of seasons to get it right with Williams but they have no doubt had access to some Mercedes data and they have been building road cars with hybrid engines (I owned one although probably not as powerful)

As being a Jenson fan I allude to the issue about K Mag being one for the future - they say he is better than Hamilton but Alonso surely will not allow history to repeat itself again at Mclaren and would Ron interfere to protect his protege then?

Simply I don't see how Alonso will help K Mag improve if it meant it affects his status as No 1

Button is by no means the first to be left out to dry. As it looks almost certain that he won't be in F1 next year it's time to summon up a bit of dignity, tell Ron to shove his team up his arse and go in style.

Back
Top Bottom