Jenson Button

Arguably the best ever driver in mixed conditions, all his wins at Mclaren have come in those conditions. His last race win in the dry came at the 2009 Turkish GP.

Button is known for his smooth driving style and is normally seen in must races doing one less stop than his rivals for tyres.

Buttons also know to be a bit of a practical joker and will take part in anything fun.

Since his debut in 2000 Button has won the majority of hearts in this country. But what is your favourite JB win?

Mine has to be Hungaroring 2006, in argubly a midfield team and he won the race in those mixed conditions to take his first win. I can remember James Allen been in tears almost and that was the first race Anthony Davidson ever commentated on.

would it not be funny if Alonso has another Mclaren bust up over his teammate next year or the inability of the team to give him a car worthy of his talent and Ron is made to look stupid ...whilst Jenson can hold his head high

I still hope Jens can get into the 3rd Ferrari

All he is saying is that he doesn't feel appreciated I have fealt that at times from some people I have worked for and it ain't nice, so I'm not sure why you are taking the piss, also Ron is bang out of order to keep him dangling on a thread like this unless it was his intention to make sure that Jenson is not only out of McLaren but out of F1 all together for some twisted reason, at least Whitmarsh had the humanity to make sure that Perez found another seat when Ron stuck his ore in and promoted Kmag and lets face it Kmag hasn't faired any better against Jenson than Perez did.

But maybe that is Ron's problem, he doesn't like seeing his young prodigy getting beat by a man he doesn't have any respect for.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with the situation at McLaren. There's nothing undignified about Jenson driving out the remainder of his contract while he waits for a decision from McLaren. McLaren have been chasing Alonso for a number of years now, the first approach was made by Martin Whitmarsh and has continued on from there by the current management. The renewal of the relationship between Alonso and McLaren makes perfect sense now that Honda is the engine supplier. As good as Button is, Alonso will bring that little bit extra to the team that they need to win titles. The biggest insult Jenson could suffer as a recent World Champion, would be being dropped in favour of a driver just out of his rookie year. This has nothing to do with Alonso who McLaren and Honda obviously value above any other driver in the sport.

So you have no problem with a team boss stringing his drivers along until the bitter end screwing them out of looking for another drive, just in case said team boss doesn't get what he wants and can fall back on his current driver line up?

Well I suppose that is one point of view, not a very moral one but a point of view none the less..

Edit.

My personal opinion.

Ron Dennis is no better than Flavio Briatore, in the way they treat their drivers..

Last edited:
How exactly did he screw them out of looking for another drive? It's a business, both drivers and/or their management should have been looking for options. It's petty nonsense to suggest McLaren alone have a say in where Button or Magnussen drive next year.

Mephistopheles ..... The reality is Jenson would only be interested in a top drive, and rightfully so. The seats at Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull and Williams are settled and have been for some time. The fact is Jenson hasn't been looking as he is happy where he is and if McLaren drop him he will probably follow Mark Webber to sports cars. None of this has anything to do with how Ron Dennis treats his drivers and the impact Alonso may have on the decision is probably related to money. Alonso is obviously a unanimous choice for all at McLaren and Honda, the decision regarding Button may well be influenced by cost. Are McLaren prepared to pay the necessary amount to employ two past champions, maybe not. We may never know how much McLaren are paying Alonso but if reports are to be believed the figure is higher than has ever been payed in the sports history. They may well decide spending less on their second driver will free up a considerable amount of money that would be better spent elsewhere.

Sorry but it's business. Jenson's contract is up at the end of the season and McLaren are not obliged to give him notice of not renewing. If he's left without a drive then that's maybe his fault for not securing another seat. If it's because he only wants to drive for McLaren then the stringing along will make no difference.

Stringing along is what they did to Perez.

That said aren't Ferrari and Red Bull potentially going to be running a third car next year? Is McLaren in the running for this as well?

As an employer Ron set JB a set of reasonable targets to be met; by implication JB could have a future with the team. Has JB met those targets?

I think he has and should therefore be retained.

They may have strung Perez along, but at least Martin Whitmarsh made sure he could get a seat at Force India once the axe fell on his time with McLaren. What's been done to both JB and KMag has been unnecessarily cruel.
That just goes to show that Whitmarsh is human being and Ron is some kind of robot thing...

So he bloody should have! Perez was given and signed a contract they then ripped up.

I'm sorry, it's a contract, it's coming to an end, any contractor will tell you don't assume you'll get an extension until its signed (by both parties) and in your hand. This isn't social services. At least there are no attempts to break contracts, now that would be naughty...

Which goes back to my earlier question, is there a possibility they might have a third car?

Also it would be mental for Dennis to show his hand whilst trying to negotiate with/tie up Alonso. McLaren need driver security too and to confirm or release either driver until that particular deal is done makes no business sense whatsoever.

It's a bitch of a situation for the drivers but that doesn't make RD Lucifer because of it.

Once again I'm not talking about releasing to the public most drivers know they have to keep schtum about where they stand contract wise (Vettel being the exception of course) until the team announce it but it is blatantly obvious that Ron has cut his drivers out of the loop entirely.

Last edited:
Once again, I'm not surprised.

So he tells one of them, if we sign Alonso you're gone otherwise we'll keep you.

Then at the 11th hour RD doesn't get Alonso, but the drivers already gone elsewhere because he's been told he's more or less out the door. Where does that leave McLaren?

RD is only doing what a CEO does.

Back
Top Bottom