Jenson Button

Arguably the best ever driver in mixed conditions, all his wins at Mclaren have come in those conditions. His last race win in the dry came at the 2009 Turkish GP.

Button is known for his smooth driving style and is normally seen in must races doing one less stop than his rivals for tyres.

Buttons also know to be a bit of a practical joker and will take part in anything fun.

Since his debut in 2000 Button has won the majority of hearts in this country. But what is your favourite JB win?

Mine has to be Hungaroring 2006, in argubly a midfield team and he won the race in those mixed conditions to take his first win. I can remember James Allen been in tears almost and that was the first race Anthony Davidson ever commentated on.

Brawn were Honda with a new name, the car was already developed from mid-'08, it's not as if Brawn decided last-minute to enter F1 and Ross Brawn got the set squares out and knocked up a car in his garage over the close season. Of course Button was part of the success, he drove the car, my post points that out very clearly, but he didn't build it. I'm not interested in making Button out to be better or worse than he is, and while it's certainly a unique achievement, i'm just not so sure what makes it so special that it warrants Button being mentioned in the same sentence as Prost, Senna and Schumacher. Let's not forget that Honda/Brawn weren't certain to keep Button, and even after his driving had won them the title they tried their best to let him go (which as it turned out worked out quite well for me as a McLaren fan - 2 British WDCs in my team, nothing better).

I don't remember Honda being any cop in 08 and when they pulled out they didn't even leave them with an engine just a chassis which was designed around a Honda engine so they had to go begging to Mercedes and shoe horn the engine into a chassis it wasn't designed for their success is probably what tempted Mercedes back into F1 as a team.

The point about it being developed from the middle of 08 is a moot one as no team enters F1 without at least one years worth of development before entering Virgin, HRT, and Lotus as known at the time didn't just appear on the grid in Australia they had development time before getting there and they employed experienced staff that had years of F1 experience...

I am not saying that Brawn didn't have advantages over these new teams they obviously did but the had massive hurdles to overcome as well it was never sure until the team eventually got to a testing session that they would even make it to the grid, at the start of the season...

I don't Know what the odds were on Jenson winning the first race, equalling the number of races being won in the first seven races and then going on to become the WDC, in January 09 but I would guess they had more than 2 zero's in them which is probably another record he owns I wonder if anyone put money on him.

I'm not interested in making Button out to be better or worse than he is, and while it's certainly a unique achievement, i'm just not so sure what makes it so special that it warrants Button being mentioned in the same sentence as Prost, Senna and Schumacher.

It doesn't........there are records, and then again.....there are records!

I don't remember mentioning him in the same sentence as Prost Senna or Schumacher in fact I don't recall mentioning any other driver in my posts at all except Lewis and even then I wasn't comparing them.

Am I not allowed to point out some of Jenson's achievements, what with me being a Jenson fan and this being a Jenson dedicated thread?

Yes I know that but I haven't commented on the value of other peoples comments have I? whereas my comments have been questioned as to their value, that is the point I'm making.

Disagree by all means but don't question my right to an opinion, and don't put words into my mouth by saying I was comparing Jenson to other drivers when I wasn't I was simply pointing out some of Jenson's achievements in F1 not comparing those achievements to other drivers, or trying to devalue other drivers.

Some interesting comments from JB yesterday,

“Been a lot of arse-kissing going on,” he told the Express when discussing Alonso's victory. “He won his home grand prix, when everything fell into place. Sometimes when you make those moves, they don't work out. And you end up in the wall. Was his performance scary? No, he just did a great job, and so did his team with strategy."
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/181475/1/button_surprised_by_alonso_praise.html

Hard to disagree.

Interesting what he said about Alonso having the whole team behind him and more influence...
V. True Bro re Canada, I still cannot fathom the amount of praise he got for that but hey ho.

What we don't know is how the questions were phrased!

whatever you think his motives might be

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few weeks ago it was Alonso and Hamilton praising each other's abilities all over the place in the F1 press.
Maybe Button has been feeling a bit grated by that in view of his own recent performances?
-

It's a strange article, not sure what Button was trying to achieve.He started off saying it was a 'nothing special' win and went on to say Alonso is the best driver. And funnily enough the attributes he praised in Alonso are the ones he's been talking up about himself (well he was before the last five races anyway, cant really talk the last five performances up at all) And those attributes he praises are getting a team round him and being fast in the race but not qualifying. Is he trying to say.....'you see, Im like that too!' Or is he trying to talk up qualities he perceives to be stronger in himself than in his team mate? I really dont know, it was wierd. But Mr. Button usually has method in his madness.

“He [Alonso] has really got his team behind him. I don't begrudge him that,”

This is the bit of the article that stood out to me. Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but is Button not feeling the love at Mclaren? It almost sounds as if he's envious of Alonso having the team behind him.

Well jenson has said that while he knows Mclaren dont operate a one /two driver system, its the way to win world championships. And it has to be said, that if that system hasnt been employed at Mclaren, it isnt for lack of trying on Button's part. Perhaps you're right EvilWhippet and he's envious of the greater success Alonso has than him in this area that he feels is neccessary.

Back
Top Bottom