Jenson Button

Arguably the best ever driver in mixed conditions, all his wins at Mclaren have come in those conditions. His last race win in the dry came at the 2009 Turkish GP.

Button is known for his smooth driving style and is normally seen in must races doing one less stop than his rivals for tyres.

Buttons also know to be a bit of a practical joker and will take part in anything fun.

Since his debut in 2000 Button has won the majority of hearts in this country. But what is your favourite JB win?

Mine has to be Hungaroring 2006, in argubly a midfield team and he won the race in those mixed conditions to take his first win. I can remember James Allen been in tears almost and that was the first race Anthony Davidson ever commentated on.

From the highlights I saw there wasn't much to blame Jenson for but I shall watch it again. Checo just ballsed up.

Hmm under the current regs Checo was far enough alongside to expect some room and JB wasn't having it. I was a bit bleary eyed though.

With Jenson having to deal with such crap cars in the last couple of years his defensive driving has become immense, not the greatest accolade one can bestow on a racing driver, I know, but still...

I rather enjoyed Jenson's performance today, putting on some very spirited defensive and offensive moves on some drivers who didn't expect that from a McLaren. Another thing that I like about Jenson. it's when he makes a mistake he isn't afraid to hold up his hand, and take the blame. Ron Dennis would have really blown it, by not retaining Button for this season.

Well Jenson was certainly more at ease this weekend with the car than Fernando and did give Pastor a hard time unless they crashed

Maybe his calmness is needed as Fernando's patience might wear thin

I've seen Jenson race wheel to wheel with the best, Alonso, Hamilton and so on and give them a bloody hard time and come out with a clean driving licence, he goes wheel to wheel with Maldonado and damages his front wing, now I'm not saying Maldonado was at fault but it shows you need to be able to trust the driver you are up against when you are racing like that..

Last edited:
Well Jenson was certainly more at ease this weekend with the car than Fernando and did give Pastor a hard time unless they crashed

Maybe his calmness is needed as Fernando's patience might wear thin
There was a significant period when Alonso was matching Hamilton's lap times of 1.43's when Jenson was lapping around 1.46. At no time during the GP did Jenson get close to those times. I'm sure the team will have been able to extract some very useful data from both drivers, especially the times Alonso was able to achieve when he was matching the leaders. Those times don't indicate Jenson was more comfortable than Alonso.

Last edited:
There was a significant period when Alonso was matching Hamilton's lap times of 1.43's when Jenson was lapping around 1.46. At no time during the GP did Jenson get close to those times
I'd like to stand up right now and wave the 'Bullshit' flag.

http://macofan.com/en/index.php?page=chart&gp=939&graf=3&dr1=Lewis Hamilton&dr2=Jenson Button

At no stage of the Race did Alonso match Hamilton's times for a significant period according to the figures in the link above.

Button's best lap in relation to Hamilton was lap 17 where Hamilton put in a 1.44.869 and Button did a 1.45.138 leaving a gap of 0.269. Buttons best lap of the race overall was a 1.44.991

Alonso's best lap in relation to Hamilton was on lap 40 where Hamilton put in a 1.43.816 on the mediums and Alonso put in his best lap of the race and the only time he dipped below the 1.44's with a 1.43.728. Alonso did run one other lap 3 tenths quicker than Hamilton but they were both doing 1.47's and Hamilton pitted that lap.

Further more, Button's best lap on Mediums was .6 seconds faster than Alonso's while Alonso was far quicker on the softs.

Last edited:
cider_and_toast ...... Fair point. I wasn't basing my comments on data, I was quoting Martin Brundle who said Alonso had been matching Lewis's times for a number of laps. When he made the comment I checked his times and picked up his lap in the 1.43's. I wasn't suggesting that was his time consistently though he was matching Lewis's times frequently, around 1.44 to 1.45.

Last edited:
Kewee

Comparing the McLaren's lap times to the Mercedes lap times is like comparing a diamond to a lump of coal the only thing they have in common are they are both made out of carbon.

The lap times at their closest was when the McLaren was flat out late for an appointment style and the Mercedes was just coasting on a Sunday drive.

Last edited:
Wasn't there a radio message to Alonso early on in the race, hinting at some kind of "problem with the fuel"?...

It wasn't very clear what it was about but hopefully for McLaren it wasn't about fuel consumption. If the McLarens manage to use up too much fuel while being driven that slowly then they really are up shit-creek!

Back
Top Bottom