Head To Head Jenson Button vs Sergio Pérez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adds credibility to the often dismissed theories about internal favouritism towards Button, and Hamilton's chances being scuppered in favour of his teammate. I really struggled to subscribe to those views before, mainly to the way in which they were presented by the fanatic peddlers of exaggerated conspiracy theories.

If anyone still thinks Lewis should have stayed at McLaren then they need their heads examining.

I think Perez is going to find it tough to escape his defacto number 2 driver status, and he is not a particularly amazing qualifier either to give him leverage.

Seems fair enough... Button is older, been through the mill and is mature enough to realise that speed will only get you so far. He has learnt he doesn't have a God given right to the best car but he can work to get the best support he needs.

That isn't a conspiracy or deviousness; just maturity and common sense.

Lewis will learn the finer skills of it as he gets more practiced at it; finds more need for it.

In this instance it appears he was beaten off the track; but entirely fairly.

Errm, isn't this Jenson vs Sergio? What has Lewis Hamilton got to do with it? Anywho, I think McLaren will be pretty fair on Checo but it's likely the car will be built around Jenson's driving style and any upgrades will come to him first.

I would say that's the minimum we can expect given what we've seen this year and heard from Jenson himself about building the team around himself.

FB but I think their driving styles are pretty similar so even if it's built around Button's style Checo shouldn't have a lot of problems with it...

KekeTheKing - You mean like any teammate will have against the other? Surely this goes without saying, especially as this an individual sport and the only one that seems to role over and play the game of letting your teammate win is the driver in the second Ferrari seat.

I expect the same between Jenson and Sergio, the fact that Lewis couldn't handle it speaks volumes about his mental abilities and says more about Lewis than it does about Jenson, especially as this isn't the first time Lewis has fallen out with a teammate.

I've no qualms with a fair fight on track between teammates. In fact I crave for more of it.

It's the recent comments that have made it clear that JB was a phony OFF the track.

edit - Check the overtaking stats and let me know how Hamilton handled it. :thinking:

Ok, I'll rephrase. I don't think Lewis would ever do the dirty on a mate or a team-mate. better? And I'm over it, Lewis is out the vipers nest. watch out Sergio :dizzy:

Exactly! Lewis is out of there. It's how Perez will fare we should be discussing now. I hope he'll be offered all the settling in bending over backwards treatment that Button received when he joined McLaren......but Im not over confident about that.

Personally I believe it to be a misconception that Perez is easy on his tyres or that he has a similar style to Button. It's mainly just the Sauber setup and strategies they implement due to Perez's less than perfect qualifying that make it seem like he's easy on his tyres. When Kobayashi hasn't been as strong in qualifying Sauber put him on the same type of strategies we usually see with Perez and Kobayashi is generally considered to have an aggressive driving style yet he's been able to one stop on a few occasions this year.

If you watch Perez's onboards he's actually a little aggressive with the steering wheel and I remember watching an interview with someone who would know, Rob Wilson driver coach to some current F1, GP2 and other series drivers saying that Perez makes a lot of unnecessary steering inputs into and out of corners which is quite contrast to Button's smooth driving style.

I expect Perez to have a few great moments in 2013 and to win a race, but I don't think he'll truly be a challenge to Button in his team.

Dunno Josh, anyone else got an opinion on the relative styles of JB vs SP? Perez has shown this year that he can conserve tyres but that may be more down to the Sauber than his driving. Button has, on occasions, struggled massively with either grip or tyre wear issues despite his legendary "smooth" driving style. Maybe Perez will be able to bring some of the knowledge he has gained at Sauber to McLaren to improve the tyre performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom