Head To Head Jenson Button vs Sergio Pérez

Status
Not open for further replies.
HammydiRestarules I think you're right about the race wins - Perez does look like on his day he could beat anyone. However if you were looking for a back up driver you could be sure to bring home the results I'd probably go for Kobi. Or I would have done. Kobi is having a bit of a poor season by his standards. For his first two and a half seasons I always admired Kobi for being able to drive a strategy to the letter - hence his consistancy. Not sure Perez has mastered that just yet. However he does seem to have raw speed.

If Sergio is smart he'll learn a few things from Mr Button.

i think that jenson wont be under so much pressure in quali with perez as a team mate.i mean perez has been outqualified by koba 8-6 this season.that tells me perez isnt the quickest over 1 lap.having 2 drivers like that could really hurt mclaren next season if its tight again.it could also take them in the wrong direction development wise.
also perez seems to do well most of the time when he starts outside of the top 10 on fresh tyres,he normally goes forwards.
but if he starts inside the top 10 on used tyres he normally goes backwards in a race.
i think perez is a good driver,but the pairing of him and jenson in a close season,wont be good enough to win a championship.because the likes of vettel and alonso,maybe lewis too depending on how good the merc is,will out quali both the mclaren drivers.

I think Perez is a good choice by Mclaren, lack of consistency has been mentioned, but he's been right up there fighting for the win more than once this year. The problem could be if both he and jenson hit their inconsistency patches at the same time, ie if the car is slightly off song as it was this year. What's Perez like at set -up? That could be another issue, I dont know what he's like at setting up a car. But he clearly has talent and seems a strong minded guy who wont be pushed around. I think he was the best available and Montezemolo missed a trick not signing him.

Perez should be a good choice for McLaren.
Both he and Jenson are noted for their ability to conserve the tyres & have an 'easy' driving style. They're far more similar than the Jenson-Lewis combination was.
I always got the feeling McLaren were trying to develop separate cars the last couple of years, in 2007 Fernando & Lewis had similar styles, in 2008 I suspect the car was soley designed with Lewis in mind & it worked (Heikki may have been a no 2 driver but he got his only win to date) then Jenson came along & we had opposite driving styles. In hindsight it was never going to work.
I can't wait for the first time Lewis & Jenson meet on track in 2013....wonder who'll come out on top??

Okay I've seen it a few times that people are suggesting that if Perez beats Button then it's suggesting he is as good/better than Hamilton. Why? Can't he be good but different in his own right?

Hamberg my post was to highlight exactly the argument you mention both Lewis and Jenson are good drivers but in different ways, one is not better than the other they both have and will continue to have their own attributes both good and bad.

Finally someone gets the point of how ridiculous the whole Lewis Vs Button argument bollocks really is, but I suspect both you and I will be in the minority, so sod it lets just enjoy the racing......

I always got the feeling McLaren were trying to develop separate cars the last couple of years
Couldn't agree more and I've said it many times.
I think this pairing is going to make it a hell of a lot easier for the McLaren engineers and may even give them that little edge they need to challenge for both titles next year.

Well one thing is clear and that is Perez doesn't like a tail happy car as Hamilton does, so he's definitely more Button than Hamilton in terms of driving style.

I've never seen the logic in that game anyway;
A stone can smash a pair of scissors, scissors can cut paper into little pieces, but paper beats stone by wrapping itself around the stone? So can a stone be suffocated, or what?
I'd go for the stone every time, as I'm sure I could destroy a sheet of A4 in a few seconds with a lump of granite in my hand.

Couldn't agree more and I've said it many times.
I think this pairing is going to make it a hell of a lot easier for the McLaren engineers and may even give them that little edge they need to challenge for both titles next year.

I'm not sure about that. McLaren had to go to great extents to help Jenson overcome his mid season slump including designing him a new rear suspension. This absorbed a lot of technical staff and some said caused McLaren to lose focus on the task ahead. Now if you meant having a clearly defined number 1 and 2 driver then I agree. In terms of development the Jenson/Lewis pairing is more balanced and easier to manage because it allows them to find performance without stagnating, especially when the car isn't the best.

Trying to design a car to match two very different driving styles is a lot harder than designing one for two drivers who are very similar.

Certainly but in reality how much of driver preference is incorporated into design. Personally I think a majority of it is accommodated with setup and car performance comes first. The car is either fast or it's not. The problem arises when youre trying to resolve a problem, arguably a bigger headache for engineers than driving style. Some car components take an awfully long time to reach production and sometimes you can't have parts for both drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom