Head To Head Jenson Button vs Sergio Pérez

Status
Not open for further replies.
racecub

Long before Hamilton came into F1, Button was being derided by people on forums, newspapers etc, stating "He'll never get a podium", then "He'll never get a pole position", then "He'll never win a race", then "He'll never win another race", then "He'll never win the championship", then and then and then.... When Perez was signed for McLaren, these same voices were shouting about how Button would never beat him in a race, and would be shown up as being a journeyman... The same was true of Damon Hill (but to a much lesser extent), and I'm certain that it would have been the same (If not worse) for Nigel Mansell!

I guess that's the British media for you. I was never that bothered about Jenson in his early career so don't really remember what was said then, though I always thought him the darling of the media.Of Nigel I remember positive press, Damon not so and Lewis not so.

IMO Button's an excellent driver and I've no reason to believe he's not also a great bloke. I am unshaken in my position that his girlfriend is gorgeous. However, he hasn't handled this incident well, IMO, which to me suggests he was a little surprised at just how quick Perez was. Calling Perez dirty/implying he's still immature, complaining that his own tyres deteriorated because of having to defend, and finally claiming that radio messages "are for the team" - seriously, how many years have these been broadcasted?!?! :rolleyes: - are all things that you wouldn't expect from someone as experienced as Button and that's taken many by surprise too, especially as the expectation is/was that Button would be the wise "senior" driver.

He is not the first/last experienced/inexperienced driver to handle an incident poorly. He is also not the first/last to have everything he says dissected in minute detail by the press and others to provoke reactions and sell copy.

To be honest, after the first three races, and qualifying at Bahrain, I am fairly sure that Perez's speed took most by surprise.

Lets see how things pan out from here on.

Just wanted to add that although I was surprised it was pleasantly so for both Perez and McLaren, it would have been a huge shame if a seat in one (any) of the prestige teams wasn't being competitively filled.

It's a tough business being an F1 driver, hero to zero based on your last race.

Jenson had the early season advantage but Checo has come back strong.

He won the "Battle of Bahrain" and pulled the rabbit out of the hat in Barcelona, Button's now on the back foot.

Stay "tooned" folks......8-)

Well well well Jenson relying on team orders and favoured strategy to maintain number one position at McLaren. Bravo.

Or maybe a sensible call from the team, under the circumstances? Especially after all the noise from Bahrain, including assurances from all that they are allowed to race.

Whitmarsh once again stated that before the race.

His assurances seem a little hollow now.

Why? Everyone rounded on them after Bahrain, where it was clear the drivers were allowed to race, and now they make a decision to hold station, and there is uproar.

Is this any different to the Merc position a few races ago, which was a sensible call?

Not really, other than the positions being consolidated, and who is involved.

Perez did well in qualifying, has traditionally been good on his tyres and he was holding his own very well today. Yet he was put on a different strategy to his struggling team mate then told to stay behind despite being a second faster when he caught up. It was a good result for Button independent of Perez. But Perez by rights should have been a lot higher.

Why? Everyone rounded on them after Bahrain, where it was clear the drivers were allowed to race, and now they make a decision to hold station, and there is uproar.
I'm not arguing for or against team orders.

Just don't state you allow your drivers to race each other when clearly the opposite is true.

Watch the pre-race Sky interview, Whitmarsh goes out of his way to state time and again they allow their drivers to race each other.

I'm not against team orders at all. They would have easily have finished with the same points given Perez was faster so it should have been candy from a baby. If Button was told, "we need to finish in the points, Perez is faster don't risk defending" then I'll retract my statement."

What I don't like is that Perez was far better today yet somehow he finished behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom