Head To Head Jenson Button vs Sergio Pérez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guy - can we stop this becoming a "My favourite driver is better than your favourite" driver discussion please. Any similar post will be deleted.

Thanks

FB

Hamberg Kravitzs has just explained that if Rosberg had made 4 stops he would have probably been on the podium hence 4 stops being better than 3...

Ehm no he didn't.

He said, it would have been the fastest way for him, and I assume because of Mercedes tyres problems, he did say he could have finished a position or two ahead, then afterwards thought about and said "well it would have been the quicker way around it".

As for Perez, McLaren where late to react to pit him compared to the 4 stoppers, even the 3 stoppers of Rosberg and Raikkonen.

Slyboogy Mephistopheles - looking at the race lap analysis on the FIA site is really quite interesting from this race:
http://www.fia.com/championship/fia...013/2013-spanish-grand-prix-event-information

Perez was burning through his tyres much faster than Button - so much so that towards the end of each of his stints, he was often over a second a lap slower than Button (who continued to lap for several laps later!)

So why was Perez so close at the end? Well, that all came down to Button's appalling qualifying - but again, where can this be attributed to? Well, looking at the sector times, again it was completely down to the mistake he made in the final sector...

What can we conclude from this? Well, I think it is hard to argue that Button wasn't at least as fast as Perez during the race this weekend, and had they started from closer on the grid, then Perez would likely not have been in a position to challenge at the end (But obviously they did start quite a way apart)...

I think this race has raised an issue that I think has dogged Button through his career; when he's chasing a time, and trying desperately to make it through to (say) Q3, something tends to go wrong for Button, and he doesn't 'just' miss the cut, but often is a long way away from the cut - this race in 14th! This does seem to be a pattern for Button - rarely does he qualify 11th if he fails to make the cut - suggesting to me, at least, that when he's up against the wall, he may be "trying too hard..."

Perez missed a golden opportunity yesterday I feel 7 places difference ahead of his teammate and finished two places back from where he started

Okay two faster cars were penalised

but he probably should have got ahead of Rosberg

----------------------------------

Can people provide Perez was faster than Button all weekend when

Practice 1 - Button did not set a time and Perez 13th on wet-dry track
Practice 2 - Button was 12th and Perez 13th
Practice 3 - Button 12th and Perez 14th

Q1 Perez was only 0.050 seconds faster
Q2 Perez was 0.60 faster owing to high tyre pressure in Button's car and a mistake

Hamberg - other than that this just isn't supported in fact..... I repeat what I said earlier... Through the race, Perez was burning through tyres very quickly - at the end of stints he was regularly a second per lap slower than Button - despite the fact that Button was running longer on the tyres! Had Perez gone at Button hard, he would have had to do an extra stop - as might Button, just as Button had in Bahrain... Have a look at the timing info if you don't believe me.

I repeat that having watched the race Perez was faster in qualifying, at the start and at the end. Mine is supported by my eye site.

Can someone explain to me how, if driver A is 11 places further down the field and 20 seconds back from driver B at he end of the first lap and at the end of the race driver A finishes ahead of driver B then driver A is said to be slower than driver B over the race distance.

Is there some kind of newfangled physics at work here that I know nothing about..? :crazy:

:rolleyes:

I'm sorry but this is total nonsense, when Lewis started from the back of the grid in last years race and finished in front of Jenson does that mean Lewis was the slower driver last year?

No it doesn't Lewis was faster over the race distance and just like Button this year Lewis made fewer stops.

It's not bloody rocket science...

If you make fewer stops you save time in the pits but this is offset by the fact that you have to cope with older slower tyres this is basic fundamental stuff, year one F1, if you like....

Hamberg

3 stops was better for Button. Had Perez attempted it this race, he would have finished much further down than he actually did - as he was burning through his tyres. 4 stops was probably faster for several other drivers, like Rosberg, Alonso et al... 3 stops was probably better for Raikkonen. You can't just make sweeping statements like that! Unless, of course, you are just trying to wind Mephistopheles up!

https://twitter.com/SChecoPerez

Did Perez need to say this? No! It's fairly obvious that McLaren don't control his Twitter account - nor did they control previous drivers' accounts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom