FIA Jean Todt is the new FIA president

Who would you prefer as the FIA president?

• Total voters

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
Jean Todt has defeated Ari Vatanen in the fight to become the next president of the FIA.

He won by some considerable margin with 135 votes to 49.

An unsurprising result considering Max Mosley had endorsed Todt from the outset.

A great day for F1.

The official FIA press release is below.

Jean Todt has been elected President of the FIA for a four-year term by the FIA General Assembly at its annual meeting in Paris.

The FIA membership voted as follows:

For Jean Todt: 135
For Ari Vatanen: 49
Abstentions/invalid votes: 12

Voting in the General Assembly was made by secret ballot. The votes were counted in private by the FIA legal department, under the supervision of scrutineers proposed by the two presidential candidates and designated by the General Assembly.

The entire voting procedure was supervised by an external Huissier de Justice (French state-appointed public witness).

The following were also elected as part of Mr Todt’s candidacy list:

President of the Senate
Nick Craw, President, Automobile Competition Committee for the US (USA)

Deputy President Automobile Mobility & Tourism
Brian Gibbons, Chief Executive, New Zealand Automobile Association (New Zealand)

Deputy President Sport
Graham Stoker, Council Chairman, Motor Sports Association (UK)

Senate Members
Hernan Gallegos Banderas, President, Automovil Club del Ecuador (Ecuador)
HH Tunku Mudzaffar bin Tunku Mustapha, Chairman, Automobile Association of Malaysia (Malaysia)
S.H. Rudolf Graf von der Schulenburg, President, Automobilclub von Deutschland (Germany)
Carlos Slim Domit, Patron, Asociación Mexicana Automovilistica (Mexico)
Jainchang Yan, Deputy President, Federation of Automobile Sports of China (China)

Mobility Vice Presidents
Carlos Barbosa, President, Automovel Club de Portugal (Portugal)
Victor Dumot, President, Touring and Automobile Club of Paraguay (Paraguay)
Ignacio Gonzalez Fausto, President, Asociación Mexicana Automovilistica (Mexico)
Gus Lagman, President, Automobile Association Philippines (Philippines)
Franco Lucchesi, Delegate to the FIA, Automobile Club d’Italia (Italy)
Jorge Rosales, President, Automobile Club of Argentina (Argentina)
Danijel Starman, President, Avto-moto zveza Slovenije (Slovenia)

Sport Vice Presidents
José Abed, President, Organizacion Mexicana del Deporte Automovilistico Internacional (Mexico)
Michel Boeri, President, Automobile Club de Monaco (Monaco)
Morrie Chandler, Honorary President, MotorSport New Zealand (New Zealand)
Enrico Gelpi, President, Automobile Club d'Italia (Italy)
Carlos Gracia, President, Real Federación Española de Automovilismo (Spain)
Mohamed ben Sulayem, President, Automobile and Touring Club for United Arab Emirates (UAE)
Surinder Thatthi, Automobile Association of Tanzania (Tanzania)

And Max Mosley has already stated that he would like to stay involved so I expect he'll be pulling Todt's strings.

What a wasted opportunity by the members to give the FIA a clean start.

ll-feeling and suspicion remain and the F1 teams are concerned that the election of Todt, who Mosley has publicly backed as his successor, would effectively be a continuation of the Mosley era.

That belief is enhanced because Mosley, as an ex-president, will retain a seat on the FIA Senate, the powers of which Todt wants to extend.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8322393.stm

Probably the final example of Todt's antagonistic stance before leaving Ferrari was at the Canadian Grand Prix in 2008, when the teams wanted to sign a letter indicating their lack of confidence in Mosley in the wake of his sex scandal, only for Todt to refuse to do so.

That decision may well have been critical in Mosley being able to hold on to his position - and it takes on a new light following the events of this FIA presidential campaign, which has seen Mosley back Todt and aggressively try to undermine his rival Ari Vatanen.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2009/10/anxious_f1_waits_for_president.html

Brogan said:
ll-feeling and suspicion remain and the F1 teams are concerned that the election of Todt, who Mosley has publicly backed as his successor, would effectively be a continuation of the Mosley era.

That belief is enhanced because Mosley, as an ex-president, will retain a seat on the FIA Senate, the powers of which Todt wants to extend.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8322393.stm

[quote:302e2y5i]Probably the final example of Todt's antagonistic stance before leaving Ferrari was at the Canadian Grand Prix in 2008, when the teams wanted to sign a letter indicating their lack of confidence in Mosley in the wake of his sex scandal, only for Todt to refuse to do so.
[/quote:302e2y5i]

Oh dear lord

Now come on guys and gals lets be fair to Jean, let's list the qualities that he brings to the post:

1) Um......

Any way moving on.

To quote the great British band - The Who.

"Here comes the new boss, Same as the old Boss"

Won't get fooled again - Written by Pete Townsend.

fedupwithuserids said:
CaT said : Now come on guys and gals lets be fair to Jean, let's list the qualities that he brings to the post:

1) Um......

1) Has a babe as partner.

2)Um.....

2) Can look Bernie in the eye'

3) Um.....

Hmm...

So, He's got a babe as a partner, can look Bernie in the eye, looks silly in rubber....

Seems like he's already winning us over guys!

I think we need to give Todt a chance. I'm disappointed that the "establishment" candidate has got in but Todt has a great history in F1 and if his time at Ferrari is anything to go my he is a great organiser. As long as Max isn't pulling the strings and Todt stands up to Bernie and some of his bizzare schemes things might not be so bad.

Shouldn't we give him a chance?

p.s. Jean has had his office at FIA HQ redecorated already (picture below)

todt.jpg

If Todt had run an independant campain and if Max had not got involved and if Todt had been elected on the merit of his plans for the future of motorsport then I think a lot of people would be prepared to give him a chance.

As it is, Max has tainted the legitamacy of the election from day one. Todt has done almost nothing to distance himself from any of this because he realised that he would need the help of the establishment to win.

Todt was always going to be treated with suspicion by most F1 fans due to his Ferrari connections. As the former head of Ferrari and now Max's "man in Paris" I would prefer to think of Todt as guilty first and maybe, just maybe, innocent later.

Congratiolations to Master Yoda on his selection victory, and may his time as FIA president be a good one.

Here's a list of what Yoda brings to the table:

• He's not Moseley
  • He's not Briatore
  • He's not Ecclestone

Good luck, Yoda, stand up to the evil Darth Moseley. Oh, wait, you are standing up...

Todt says he will keep 'hands-off' and will nominate someone to oversee F1. Who on earth do you think we could get? My first terrible thought is Alan Donnelly, and then an even worse though entered my mind - Max Mosley?

Back
Top Bottom