Insane F1 Race Starts

Fenderman

Rooters Reporter
Not wishing to permanently derail another thread I thought I would start this one. I had been looking for videos of the infamous Schumacher Startline Chop. I have renamed it since over time some writers seem to have taken to using the term "Schumacher Chop" to describe anything from Schumi overtaking somebody to Schumi crashing into somebody. I even came across an article where the writer described the incident when Schumi in the Merc' crowded Barrichello in Hungary! That wasn't a chop it was a squeeze!

Anyway, I found this Lulu of a race start and felt the need to share it. Then I thought "this will open a can of worms!" and promptly deleted from the post I was about to make. So here it is, a can opener from yours truly. Hopefully, this will inspire folk's to dig out lots of crazy F1 startline and first few lap incidents for our delectation, enjoyment, ridicule and sheer amazement.

P.S. This is a slow boiler and it's worth sticking with it as it gets sillier as the event progresses ... :D

Last edited:
I remember this race. I think is Malaysia '01. When the 2 Ferraris went out I thought; there goes the race! But they came back on the track as if they had AWD.

I have this image of a race start where everything went tits up right off the line and I'm not talking about Spa 98 I can see wheels bouncing down the starting grid, cars flying every which way but what a can't do is recall which race it was or find any footage of it.

Gotta go to bed now but I'll have to have a look. There was a start at one of the British GP's at Brands Hatch that went off like that. I know there were some pretty loony ones at such places as the A1 Ring and Hockenheim as well.

I'm off to :sleeping:

Last edited:
Schumie carried out some "interesting" moves in his time. Some were brilliant, and some were eye watering.

Last edited:
Have to say that the Schumacher-Barrichello wall incident was blown out of proportion, since drivers before had done the same. For example, Mark Webber squeezing Felipe Massa in Fuji 2008, only this one was a lengthier amount of time.

Have to say that the Schumacher-Barrichello wall incident was blown out of proportion, since drivers before had done the same. For example, Mark Webber squeezing Felipe Massa in Fuji 2008, only this one was a lengthier amount of time.

I have to agree. I thought at the time, and still do, that Rubens could have switched before the gap got too narrow. Michael was already going right while Rubens was still behind him, but followed him into an ever decreasing space. I have a feeling many will disagree!
6a00d8341c565553ef015390f7a813970b-500wi.jpg

Didn't say it would excuse it, said it was blown out of proportion, which it was.

Webber didn't get penalty for a worse offence, nor have others in the past that did it before Schumacher.

Because it was Schumacher and Barrichello, it gained headlines due to their past at Ferrari.

Back
Top Bottom