How Good is Fernando Alonso?

I agree. I find it impossible to question Alonso's ability. He has it in bucket loads with a watering can to spare. There's my position and me throwing my two-penneth in and now I shall quietly exit the debate.

The question is "How good is Fernando Alonso?"
This is an invitation to quantify how good Fernando Alonso is, surely not an invitation to gainsay or debate whether another persons view is impartial or impaired.

I think Fernando Alonso is very good in parts, less good in other parts and soft in the middle. On a scale of one to ten he is a nine. He is better than that other bloke and as far as I know he is a good Christian.

Shows what I know! He doesn't believe in God.
Damn him!!! >:(

It must have been 2006 when the BBC had an eve of Silverstone live fans forum.

During the course of the debate someone asked about who of the then current and future drivers looked like they could be the next F1 great champion. The team agreed that it was a very difficult one to spot as it could well be someone who had at that time not been able to drive a sufficiently good car to show his merit. The presenter summed it up saying words to the effect "after all, who could have forecast a couple of years ago that Alonso would become a WDC", slight pause, then "Ah, the man waving the Minardi cap". I lost it on the train going from Naples to Rome but shortly after obtained a replacement.

:unsure: Is this a serious question? Alonso's reached new heights this season and has set the benchmark.
The question should be 'How good are the other drivers in comparison to Alonso?'

No, it's not. This thread was created by FB after I wanted to make point to Il_Leone using Alonso. If it were up to me this thread would never have been created at all.

Okay. How good is Fernando Alonso, he's alright but not as good as Sebastien Vettel as the World Championship count proves LOL

You've got to applaud the season Fernando Alonso has had this year. Going into Melbourne the car was 1-1.5 seconds off the pace and without his pushing Ferrari by mid-season were a driver/car winning combination albeit reliability issues for Hamilton and Vettel. However the fact of the matter is Alonso managed to drag a car that lets face it was crap must of the season to been just 3 points behind the overall champion is just absolutely mind-blowing. I'm not sure many on that grid would have dragged the performance out of that car the way he did. Alonso is very special no two questions about it and should have more titles to his name.

A total of 9 points over three years, 2007, 2010 and 2012 are all thats stopped Alonso from being a 5 time World Champion. One point in 2007, would have equalled Kimi's total but would have won Alonso the title on countback. Four points in 2010, would have equalled Vettel's total but he would have also won on countback, and four points in 2012 would have given him the title by one point. I'm surprised the question is even being asked.

I do think Alonso is the best there is at the moment, but there's a very real danger that in the future that won't be the case. He only has two World Championships- some could argue he should have won more (although I don't think he had the best car in any of his near misses). That could also create a problem, has he made the right career choices? Moving to McLaren sounded good at the time, but turned into a disaster which forced him back to a pale, shadowy Renault. Ferrari looks like the right fit for Alonso's personality- but they aren't producing the car to win at the moment- and I'm sure Alonso feels that that is the most important thing.

His career could go the way of Senna's- we all knew he was excellent, but his car couldn't win the championship in the later years whilst others walked off with championships far too easily (Button, Vettel compared to Mansell, Prost? Might be a stretch...).

Kewee

Not sure how Alonso would have won the title on countback in 2007 if he and Kimi were equal on points, as Raikkonen had six wins compared to Alonso's four.

In 2010 if Alonso and Vettel were on the same points Vettel would have won on countback aswell.

Both had the same number of wins, 5 each.
Same number of second places, 2 each.
Same number of third places, 3 each.
It comes down to fourth places where Vettel had 3 compared to Alonso's 2.

I get your point though, being in 5 championship battles, winning 2 and the other three coming down to the final day.

Slyboogy.......I stand corrected....:).....Add one point to 2007 and another point to 2010 bringing the total to 11 points over three campaigns and I think you'd agree my analysis still carries a lot of weight.
To be honest, when I glanced at the results over those years I didn't even look at Kimi in 2007. Careless of me, I was paying so much attention to the Hamilton/Alonso battle I forgot Kimi slipped in six wins. :snigger: Cheers Slyboogy.

Back
Top Bottom