Greatest and worst ever circuits

Istanbul - Bit controversial, but I think it's rather awful. Turn 8 has now become a synonym for Istanbul Park, and is now used in EVERY SINGLE Tilkedrome.

Tell us about it, comes up with one good corner, and then has to ruin in by putting it into several other tracks :rolleyes:

I agree with all of them by the way, apart from Istanbul but even so :)

I think it will give drivers a headache, especially the dizzyness caused by Vortex's corner (thing, whatever it is,)
Can just imagine all the camera men falling out of the cherry pickers with dizziness hahaha.
Istanbul - Bit controversial, but I think it's rather awful. Turn 8 has now become a synonym for Istanbul Park, and is now used in EVERY SINGLE Tilkedrome.
Ahh, I totally agree with the point about turn 8 appearing in more Tilkedromes, it’s the same with other corners of other circuits, maggots of Silverstone, first turn of Interlagos etc, just no originality left.

Agree with the Magny Cours tho :thumbsup: think were a minority.

Can just imagine all the camera men falling out of the cherry pickers with dizziness hahaha.

Ahh, I totally agree with the point about turn 8 appearing in more Tilkedromes, it’s the same with other corners of other circuits, maggots of Silverstone, first turn of Interlagos etc, just no originality left.

Agree with the Magny Cours tho :thumbsup: think were a minority.

Yes but that's for a few tracks and modified by quite a bit, the Turn 8 is basically getting put in most of Tilke's design, taking one corner out and making a 3 turn corner instead of 4...

I too like you guys find Magny-Cours quite a fascinating track, love the corners, nice flow!

Four more for the "best" list, now sadly long-gone from F1--Watkins Glen, Long Beach, Anderstorp and Zandvoort.

Best:
Nurburgring Nordschleife
Spa
Suzuka
Brands Hatch
Hockenheim (Old Spec)
Adelaide
Cadwell Park (I know F1 could never happen there, but it's a great circuit for bikes)
Assen (ditto)
Sau Paulo

Worst
Indianapolis
Hockenheim (New spec)
New Nurburgring (Basically because the old one is still there next to it LOL
Estoril (After they changed it)
Imola (After the changes after a certain incident or 2)

To all those that are listing the old Hockenheim as a great circuit - I respect your views, but I would be very interested to know your reasonings!

For me, the old Hockenheim (Certainly from 1994 onwards) represented some of the problems that had grown in F1 - it was often impossible to overtake, and the cars would usually line up 2 by 2 at the start and the finish of the race!

In comparison, the new Hockenheim offers opportunities for overtaking, racing alongside each other through series of corners, and it is far better for spectators at the actual circuit! What's not to like?!?

Yeah lol, I liked old Hokenhiem but building a new one I think wouldn’t work, it worked because it was already there.
If that doesn’t makes sense… tough lol

Speaking for myself, watching cars running on their own at the old Hockenheim was pretty exciting - with the tiny wing levels making the cars skitterish and slide through the chicanes - irrespective of the lack of wheel-to-wheel action.

You also never knew whose engine was going to blow up next, another element of tension now lost to us.

Best:

Cadwell Park (I know F1 could never happen there, but it's a great circuit for bikes)
Assen (ditto)
Sau Paulo

Now you see this is the thing i found odd about this thread, it has no mention of F1 but is in the F1 forum. So we can add non-F1 tracks to the list?

I would add Laguna Seca, perhaps in place of interlagos. Maybe pre 2005 Assen too although i never seen a car Race through there and have no idea if would be as good. And Brno a track i would absoultey love to see F1 cars race at.

And Qatar to the Worst list.....tbh only seen bikes there too, and it never really has been a good race.

Speaking for myself, watching cars running on their own at the old Hockenheim was pretty exciting - with the tiny wing levels making the cars skitterish and slide through the chicanes - irrespective of the lack of wheel-to-wheel action.

You also never knew whose engine was going to blow up next, another element of tension now lost to us.

You can speak for me on all that too. :thumbsup:

And Qatar to the Worst list.....tbh only seen bikes there too, and it never really has been a good race.

Jarama had a similar style to Qatar, and equally dull races. but the narrowness and difficulty elevate it above the rock bottom borefests.

Another point about Tilkedromes, the drivers don't find them very challenging. (Well Trulli and Webber anyway...)

Now you see this is the thing i found odd about this thread, it has no mention of F1 but is in the F1 forum. So we can add non-F1 tracks to the list?

I would add Laguna Seca, perhaps in place of interlagos. Maybe pre 2005 Assen too although i never seen a car Race through there and have no idea if would be as good. And Brno a track i would absoultey love to see F1 cars race at.

The introductory piece of the thread specifically mentioned F1 circuits - I really should have mentinoned it in the title :oops:

Back
Top Bottom