Gravel Traps vs. Tarmac Run Off

Gravel traps or Tarmac run off? Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
But what do you want to achieve?

If the solution stops a car racing has it done its job or gone too far?

I'd like to see cars punished but not taken out of the race; this seems like a way to achieve that.

You can't have "half-way" between three options, this simply adds a fourth. Use all means where they are appropriate is the only correct answer by my reckoning.
It seems to me that mjo is suggesting speed-scrubbing tarmac as being half way between the two original options of tarmac and gravel, which seems perfectly logical.

It seems to me that mjo is suggesting speed-scrubbing tarmac as being half way between the two original options of tarmac and gravel, which seems perfectly logical.

My apologies. I had include Armco as well. I think there is a place for all four solutions and that the solution should be determined by the problem. Each corner presents it's own problem and therefor merits it's own solution.

You can buy cars with lane detection (buzzing seats when you cross the white line) so why not use this with a small detonator and a little explosive to blow the tyre when off the track; not enough to kill the car but force it to limp into the pits? ;)

You can buy cars with lane detection (buzzing seats when you cross the white line) so why not use this with a small detonator and a little explosive to blow the tyre when off the track; not enough to kill the car but force it to limp into the pits? ;)

Or an ejector seat. Not enough to kill the driver, but enough to send him into the grandstands.

Well I started watching F1 in the late ninties and onwards, on a fair few occasions we saw Schumacher beach his car which always provided excitement.

I am not a fan of huge run offs, drivers can miss the chicane and comeback on and keep the position, best example Hulkenberg at Monza 2010, he did it several times there. Tarmac also makes the track look ugly, Silverstone used to be full of gravel, now it's all tarmac. I think gravel provides more excitement, cars going off, or cars trying to avoid going off after a mistake. Tarmac has it's benefits aswell...

I would say both tarmac and gravel, Malaysia seems to have this, Massa 2008 going off, it was half tarmac then near the tyre wall there was gravel, it was enough to put him out of the race. A bit of tarmac and a bit of gravel in corners like those, chicanes should just have gravel, high speed corners tarmac/gravel, slow speed corners.

Back
Top Bottom