Gaming Gran Turismo 5

I bought it. ...and a playstation, and a new TV :)

Happy Christmas to meee.

..Its good, there are one or two things that seem to go backward from the previous version.. that is unless I've just missed some functionality. Like for ex. in B spec you used to be able to multiply the game speed so that it is not quite so tiresome. I didn't see a way to do this so far, and also you cannot test drive or qualify for races which makes getting the car setup a wild guess. Like for example, going from Suzuka to the Nordschleife in a championship series which requires hugely different gearing and suspension. There seems no way to test setup?

Ive not spent a great deal of time exploring the UI but just a couple of things tnat instantly cought my attention. Maybe someone knows different??

F1Yorkshire said:
chreden said:
F1Yorkshire said:
How are you guys coping with the Elise on the top gear challenge? Its a fiesty bugger to control.

Coping is not the word. So much spinning.

I bought one to use in the British lightweights trophy and it was handling the same as on the Top Gear track, the main problem is the tyres. The only way to overcome the problems is by using very fine throttle control. Once you can master the Elise the game becomes so much easier. My racing version is a joy to drive when its under control but just a touch too much power and your in a wall.

The TG challenge was fun. The AMG challenge though!? I have all the silvers but some of those gold times are pretty far reaching! Having said that, i didn't buy the GT wheel yet, i might be more accurate with it after some practice...

I'm getting better at controlling the less grippy cars, although I keep getting rammed off the road by the evil AI. Usually I just invest in a set of soft slicks when I get a car and just steam past everyone with the extra grip you get.

I want to get the F10 or the F2007, but I'm about 10 million short. Bah.

Grizzly said:
The TG challenge was fun. The AMG challenge though!? I have all the silvers but some of those gold times are pretty far reaching!

I've got one or two golds on the AMG challenge, mostly silvers though. Going to try and get some more golds tonight in my quest for millions.

Here's a video I made after I crashed while attempting to win the Rollover and Watch out for falling objects trophies.

They do actually. Its not a realistic damage model as no one would survive a lap without losing a bit of their car but here is my car after a few more attempts at the trophy:

Oops!.JPG

Is the rollover one of the hidden trophies??

So, how have you got on with the X2010 challenge? I've completed most other stuff to gold now...

I've not spent that much time playing it, honest
whistle.gif

Yeah it is, there's quite a few hidden ones. That corner on Trial Mountain is the best place to try it. Once you have rolled the car a few times the door will start to hang off and you will win the Falling Objects trophy.

I've been struggling with the X2010 as its like nothing I've ever driven before. The challenge makes it hard to practise as you can't get consistent laps together. I am one 9 hour endurance race away from level 35 on B-Spec and then I will get a free X2010 to play with.

Yeah i have been leaving it overnight to get those B-spec races completed so i have the X2010 and yeah it is a whole lot easier to practice without it stopping and making you wait 60 seconds between every single frigging go!

I'm still using the standard controller which is clearly not the way to go. You simply cannot be smooth enough with it in the X2010. I need to get down the shops and buy the GT wheel, i remember that was much much more precise on GT4 once you got to grips with it.

When you win it, post up some lap times of different tracks in practice mode, with racing hard tires.... we can have a little competition... ill look and see what times I've done tonight and post them up... i know i did something like 2:26 at de la Sarthe, the 2009 spec track with chicanes.

2:26? That's about half the usual time even if you're driving an F1 car. Can we get the X2010 into real-life production?

I've got the DFGT and it makes such a difference. I'll see what laptimes I can get with it an I'll post them up.

I'm thinking that should be 3:26
embarrassed.gif
not 2:26.... anyhow, it is simply amazing the pace of that thing, ill post up an accurate time tomorrow.

You could build it, its designed using real parameters and it's quite believable what it does. Just consider an F1 car, with no wing restrictions, no open wheels, a 3.5l, turbocharged engine, full ground effect, a Chaparral 2J/BT46 sucker fan, closed cockpit... its perfectly feasible and brings home perhaps why the FIA have to constantly reign in the rules in F1!

I believe the 2:26 now! I've just unlocked the beast and started off the Le Mans 24 hour race as I'm away for the day. My driver did the opening lap in 2:38. I'm pretty sure I can tune it to go faster as well as I've just left it running on the default settings.

The top speed was lower than I expected but its still pretty fast and the acceleration is crazy. Cornering at 180mph as well. Please somebody build this car!

UPDATE:
By then end of the 3rd lap he is already lapping other cars! Impressive against a field of GT cars at Le Mans.

I got back from my night away expecting my 24 hour race to have been completed but GT5 decided to update itself so all progress was lost before I returned :(

I decided to spend some time playing with my new X2010. That car is a beast to drive.

Grizzly, you must have some incredible dexteritious thumbs to get a time of 2.26 at Sarthe. I've had to turn the power off from my wheel as the force feedback while using the X2010 is off the scale and I think it would risk damaging the motors if I used it for a period of time.

I managed to set a time of 2:39 but with a few errors so I know I can get it lower but a 2:26 is an excellent time to aim at.

I've got it but not driven it yet! Same with most of my cars. I seem to have become a bit of a collector. Might give it a spin sometime next week!

I might go have a play with it now before the Mrs gets out of bed!

I think I should promote the ARL GT5 league too while i'm in here. Similar set-up to the F1 leagues, 20 races on 10 tracks, upto 16 drivers at any one time.

1st races were pretty successful, very close racing at the High Speed Ring.

Poor quality footage at the moment but I'm working on a solution!

Off Topic....

This is my 1000th post! I think I spend way too much time on F1 sites!

I think this is the best forum for this news but with the amount of gaming related topic's cropping up maybe a sub-forum needs to be created.

I had suggested such a while back, plus it will clean up the "Gravel Trap" a lot if all gaming related discussions gets pinned/stickied alternatively a sub forum.

All gt5 needs it mid-race saves (for endurance races) and then the game will be perfect.

Back
Top Bottom