Ferrari Engine Usage

During BBC Red Button commentary on P3 Ted Kravitz said that both Ferrari drivers had only two
engines available to complete the season. He said that these were engines 7 & 8 for each driver.
Implying that Ferrari have withdrawn the other 6 engines.

He also said that one of the engines for each driver had been used for Germany & Hungary,
was being used in Singapore and would also do Japan. The other engine had already done
Italy, and would do Korea, Brazil & Abu Dhabi.

Logically engine #8 was introduced for Monza, which I believe is confirmed by the FIA Tech.
Report. However, according to the Report for Spa, they both had new engines there as well,
so that would be engine #7, and the one used for Germany & Hungary was #6.

Ted might have confused the numbers, but unless the FIA docs are wrong - which is not
impossible - the #7 engines were only used for Spa and were then retired.

Or maybe I've misread the Tech Reports.

Opinions?
 

sportsman

Sidecar racers have the biggest cojones
Contributor
According to this report Massa had already used his eight engines.


"The Ferrari driver, who has already used the eight allocated engines for the season, stopped on track during Q1 and was unable to set a time.

Although Massa said the problem was with the gearbox, the team will use the opportunity to replace the engine with a new one - the ninth of the season - since the Brazilian will start from the back of the grid anyway"


http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86984
 

RickD

Pole Sitter
Does anyone else find it a bit ridiculous that you can change an engine simply because you are starting from the back and get no penalty?

Surely there needs to be damage to the engine itself (and for proof of that damage and that it was damaged on track rather than in the garage afterwards) for a team to be able to change it after they have used their 8 engine allowance?
 

F1Yorkshire

Avatar for sale to the highest bidder
Contributor
RickD said:
Does anyone else find it a bit ridiculous that you can change an engine simply because you are starting from the back and get no penalty?

Surely there needs to be damage to the engine itself (and for proof of that damage and that it was damaged on track rather than in the garage afterwards) for a team to be able to change it after they have used their 8 engine allowance?
Its within the rules and they didn't have anything else to lose so I've got no complaints about them changing it.

Is there a rule saying you can only take your 9th engine if you have declared your allocated 8 are out of commision? If this is true Massa will have to do 5 races on this one new engine and with Ferrari's rate of engine wear so far this season I could see another potential 10 place drop.
 

Chad Stewarthill

Champion Elect
Contributor
Not that it really matters any more what happens with Massa's engines (in terms of the drivers' championship at least).

It's Alsonso's engine that I'm hoping will blow up (preferably in the first corner at Suzuka, causing him to collide with and take out the two Red Bulls at the same time). :whistle:
 

Bleu

Points Scorer
Ferrari are saying that they will use engine of Hockenheim, Hungaroring and Singapore races in Friday FPs for the rest of the season. But I wonder is the engine good enough to last four of them?

I think Massa has no more problems after his "penalty", although the engine that was changed out is now not available to use in qualifying or races except Abu Dhabi.
 

RickD

Pole Sitter
Why except Abu Dhabi?!? Surely if they have decided to change the engine for a 9th unit, then the old one should not be used anywhere else.
 

F1Yorkshire

Avatar for sale to the highest bidder
Contributor
RickD said:
Why except Abu Dhabi?!? Surely if they have decided to change the engine for a 9th unit, then the old one should not be used anywhere else.
I've been reading into the engine rules, there doesn't seem to be anywhere that prohibits the use of any engine that was previously used. The penalties are only applied if additional engines are used.

http://www.fia.com/sport/Regulations/f1regs.html
 

sportsman

Sidecar racers have the biggest cojones
Contributor
Perfectly true.You can use each engine as many times as you wish.The only rule regarding engines is that each driver is allowed eight engines per season.If they use more every time they use a new engine they face a grid penalty for that one race.
Gearboxes must do four consectutive races.
 

ladyinred

Rookie
Chad Stewarthill said:
It's Alsonso's engine that I'm hoping will blow up (preferably in the first corner at Suzuka, causing him to collide with and take out the two Red Bulls at the same time). :whistle:
Last hope, because you know very well, that when nothing fail with the engine noone would & could stop Fernando to win the championchip!

Not very sportive I think :no:
 

RickD

Pole Sitter
ladyinred said:
Chad Stewarthill said:
It's Alsonso's engine that I'm hoping will blow up (preferably in the first corner at Suzuka, causing him to collide with and take out the two Red Bulls at the same time). :whistle:
Last hope, because you know very well, that when nothing fail with the engine noone would & could stop Fernando to win the championchip!

Not very sportive I think :no:
You see, this is one of the reasons Alonso and Hamilton 'fans' get my goat. They lack perspective.

ladyinred - As an aside, what will you think if Alonso wins the championship by 7 points or less? Will you think it was a chamionship well deserved, or will you think it tainted by Massa having to give a place up so early in the season?
 

Brogan

🦶 Leg end
Staff Member
RickD said:
You see, this is one of the reasons Alonso and Hamilton 'fans' get my goat. They lack perspective.
I'm not sure you can reasonably accuse every Alonso and Hamilton fan of that.
Some perhaps.

But then the same can be said of the fans of any driver.
 

RickD

Pole Sitter
Brogan said:
RickD said:
You see, this is one of the reasons Alonso and Hamilton 'fans' get my goat. They lack perspective.
I'm not sure you can reasonably accuse every Alonso and Hamilton fan of that.
Some perhaps.

But then the same can be said of the fans of any driver.
Sorry Bro, was generalising, that's why fans was in quotes. It denoted fans as in fanatics, rather than those with a modicum of reason.. :)
 

ladyinred

Rookie
RickD said:
ladyinred - As an aside, what will you think if Alonso wins the championship by 7 points or less? Will you think it was a chamionship well deserved, or will you think it tainted by Massa having to give a place up so early in the season?
First: it was not so early in the season
second: RBR is using teamorder very much earlier, but don't have good manager
third: Massa never had a chance to win championchip this year and F1 is a team sport; you like or not!
 

RickD

Pole Sitter
I don't like such blatent team orders when there is a big chance for both drivers to win the WDC, this just means the other driver doesn't bother trying in future for a start and makes the races a mockery for true F1 fans.

Redbull may have tried to favour Vettel earlier in the year, but the fact that Webber didn't let them says a lot about his character compared to Massa's character and not much else..

It was too early in the season to be issuing team orders, that is plain and simple and Ferrari were found guilty of ity, even if they only got a slap on the wrist. They should have lost all their points for that race, but the Ferrari International Assistance came to their aid once again..
 

Bleu

Points Scorer
If an engine is changed in accordance with Article 34.1 the engine which was replaced may not be
used during any future qualifying session or race with the exception of the last Event of the
Championship.
This is part of the rules, which I was referring with Abu Dhabi.
 

Brogan

🦶 Leg end
Staff Member
I hadn't realised that caveat so thanks Bleu.

It seems a strange rule to say the least.
 

ATL11

Podium Finisher
Going off the Wolf Web Page, with Alonso on 8 engines, and it's been used for 2 races now! I can't see it lasting 6 races, so will he take a 9th or like some other posts can he use some of the first 8 engines he only used for 1 race. e.g. Bahrain, where he used 2 engines for that race, his 3rd engine for Australia?

Reusing engines has a risk of billows of white smoke during a race, where as a 9th means a 10 grid penalty and only picking up a few points.

The plot thickens, I see Alonso using his 8th engine for Japan (a lot of teams have used engines for 3 races) then taking a 10 grid penalty for the Korean and remaining 2 races.....
 
Top Bottom