Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

Kimi is one lucky driver because of what has happened to Bianchi

Alonso has burned his bridges with Ferrari and Red Bull is off limits. To get into Williams he would need some way to find the money to pay off Massa and somehow please Bank of Brazil who expect a Brazilian driver in the team

Alonso to Mercedes sounds ridiculous but as long as 1 driver is German then he has a chance but I don't think Hamilton wants to leave because he is very happy and is not tied to with sponsorship pressures and not keeping the winning trophies like he was at Mclaren

The only reason for Hamilton to go back is emulate his hero Senna at Mclaren. As for ALonso he is playing a dangerous game if he insist on 1 year contract at Mclaren

Il_leone ...... If Ferrari haven't been able to provide Alonso with a competitive car for five years and have said they don't believe they can be competitive for another two years, by which time Alonso will be 36, what the hell do you expect him to do. >:(
I would suggest it's Ferrari who have burned their bridges by failing to develop a decent car which has lead to them loosing their greatest asset.

This is Alonso who was central to the self destruction of McLaren and central in the 5 years of decline at Ferrari... Is he really the great white hope a team needs?

He is a great driver but I'm not convinced he's a great team builder.

Andyoak ...... It wasn't Alonso who was being dishonest at McLaren in 2007 and it hasn't been Alonso who been responsible for Ferrari not being able to build a competitive car during the last five years. I realise he handled his year at McLaren poorly but I never have understood why many fans blame him for the teams dishonesty. Things deteriorated rapidly when he had a gutsful of being dragged into a situation not of his making which of course led to the major falling out with Ron Dennis.
All this happened seven years ago, isn't it time to leave it where it belongs, in the past.

I think one of the biggest problems (and this is more to do with F1 in general) is that no one has ever gone completely on record and told the whole story. Wouldn't it be refreshing if just once in a while someone on the inside would actually lift the lid on the whole business? I think the closest I've seen is the ex-Williams man Adam Parr who had to do it in the form of a graphic novel to talk about some of things that went on while he was working for the team.

There are so many un-knowns about who did what to whom and who knew what. This is why it keeps dragging on year after year.

Is there another sport in the world that is as secrative as F1?

I expect that any potential author is waiting for his tiny greyness to depart the scene.

It's pretty well accepted that Fernando attempted to "blackmail" Ron. I guess he was never really concerned with the massive ramifications that would hold for the rest of his team, whether the gambit was successful or not.

My understanding is part of the agreement to free Alonso from his contract was he had agree to remain silent. I honestly can't remember where I read this but i do remember believing at the time it was a reliable source. McLaren obviously didn't want the affair discussed in an open forum, why else did they pay a 100 million fine without appealing. An awful lot remains hidden. I will always believe its unfair to lay the blame at Alonso's feet, he wasn't the one being dishonest, in fact it was his wish to be open about the whole sordid affair that got him offside with the public. I never have understood why people are so quick to side with a team that was obviously cheating rather than praising a driver who refused to be dragged any further into McLarens mess.

Sorry KekeTheKing ..... I didn't realise Ron Dennis and Alonso were the only people that McLaren employed. I would suggest you look back and see which members of both McLaren and Ferrari lost their jobs and have a good look at just how many team members were involved in Spygate. One other point that always goes unnoticed, Ron Dennis was well aware of the entire scandal long before Alonso made his so called threats.

I also love the fact that we look to assign blame to one individual when so many where involved in the debacle. I think the only person didn't have any mud thrown at them, or certainly had none stick, was Lewis Hamilton and then we have the whole questionable "gear box problems" in Brazil which prevented him from becoming the first ever World Champion in their first year in the sport.

Anyway, I digress, lots of people responsible for Spygate including Fernando Alonso.

Obviously there were several people with knowledge of and involvement in the scandal known as "Spygate". Only one was willing to attempt to use this explosive info towards their own personal gain without any regard to the thousands of other people it was bound to affect.

And does anybody believe Alonso's career would be in limbo right now if he didn't have an extremely acrimonious history at Woking? McLaren are intimately aware of the depths Fernando is willing to plumb in order to satisfy his need to be the unchallenged A#1 within the team. It's this excess baggage that has made McLaren hesitant to welcome Nando back. And one can hardly blame them.

My comment wasn't that Alonso was to blame but he was a central figure in the whole debacle - and you can include Singapore in there too.

Alonso is very high profile and has been around a long time BUT he has still found himself in three separate teams where things have gone very wrong for various reasons. He may not have direct influence on those things (none of us will ever know how much influence he has) but he's certainly very unlucky... if I'm being very generous.

My argument is that he's being held up / promoting himself as the great white hope for top flight teams in trouble but there is no evidence that he can deliver other than sometimes hauling crap cars to places they shouldn't be; just like Button and Hamilton and others.

Who would you rather have?

A driver with proven ability in driving difficult cars quickly and recognised skills in supporting and building an effective team around him; or someone who can drive quickly with a lot of 'baggage'...

So many guessing at why Alonso's future, or lack of future, hasn't been announced. No one has any idea what is happening behind the scenes. As far as that goes our knowledge of the past is also based on lots of half truths that ended up in print.

Back
Top Bottom