Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

So Alonso says in a rather bizarre interview on the beeb that he made his mind up 3 months ago that he was looking for a change but doesn't know what or where that might take him yet.

Yeah, right !! :D

I hope that he gets a decent car and is able to secure a third WDC.

It would be a crying shame if the best, yes the best, on the grid is let down by all the TPs who are incapable of doing their job properly!

I strongly suspect that Alonso won't be racing in F1 next year too!

Very few team principals will want to sign Alonso for a single season- simply because he has a cachet related to sponsorship- so want to get a multi-year contract to seal long term sponsors.

Alonso wants to race for Mercedes, but there are no seats available- until the end of next year. I suspect that he might be very nervous about signing for McLaren as well, given how well things turned out last time!

Alonso to "do a Prost?" If he's replaced for the final race by Bianchi, then you'll know what to expect!

Well today sums Alonso's Ferrari career - broken down

His bargaining powers is not the same as 2007 when every team who could afford him tried to hold out for him

Drivers market does change - even drivers with contracts can be paid off and terminated even after confirmation like

Alex Zanardi in 1999 at Williams which kick started Button's career

Jos Verstappen at Arrows prior to 2002 season which incurred the wrath of title sponsor Orange and bought down the team as well

so even though the top seats are confirmed it just takes a mighty bust up or somehow with serious financial muscle to pay off existing drivers contracts

Now Red Bull have declared that Alonso was not an option and continue with promoting in house from their drivers

-Mercedes under Lauda certainly aint interested because he would cause too many problems and plus at least 1 driver has to be German so it seems so Hamilton is not going to forego his seat in the best car either

Mclaren - the only realistic option but they need firm commitment now but apparently Alonso wants an option on his contract in case Mercedes drive becomes available

Williams - they have a Merc engine but Bottas is their prized asset thanks to Toto and Massa has a few years on his contract which again needs to be paid off which may make the BRazilian sponsors unhappy

Back in 2007 he went with Renault for 2008 and ignored Red Bull's offer because he wanted the Ferrari drive . It been suggested by the BBC is he being badly advised by his father or Flavio Briatore because Alonso is a difficult demanding individual to manage and allows the red mist to sometimes cloud his judgement in terms of career choices

Is he able to wield bargaining power by doing a Prost and taking a sabbatical but negotiating a confirmed contract for 2016 -

I would have thought Williams is the team with Pat Symonds

Ferrari got rid of the only man who can sort them out of this mess much like Prost last time

Seriously Raikkonen is not the sort of driver who you look to help Ferrari out of the situation and he's said 2015 is his last season so if he has a few bad races does he really care then? and do Ferrari sack him?

for those who criticise Alonso not able to develop a car ..it was not his decision to not invest in a wind tunnel which was given out 50% correlation only because they relied on tesing at Fiorano and anywhere else with two testers , a No 2 and Schumacher

Alonso does not have the luxury of the testing but when it comes to race weekend he seems to be able to extract more than Raikkonen

I think's he's holding out for 3-car teams (hence the chance of a Merc drive next year), and will take a sabbatical if it fails to transpire. I can't honestly see Ronda allowing him a 1-year deal.

Go on Fernando - have a nice rest for a year! ;)

Just heard a rumour on the racing grapevine that Fernando may be in another Ferrari next year, just not in F1.... WEC. LMP, not GT3. Just to throw a possible twist in there.

-----------------------------------------

Actually I do remember him having said a few times that he wants to race at the 24 hours at some point...

Ferrari got rid of the only man who can sort them out of this mess much like Prost last time
Are you talking about Alonso, the driver who arrived at Ferrari after their disastrous season in 2009 and who is yet to win a title with the team?
How many more years must he spend at Ferrari to sort them out, these problems haven't only been around since this season. . . . .

A driver doesn't sort the kind of things out that have to be changed at Ferrari. There is something profoundly wrong on the management level.

Alonso put himself in the position were action needed to be taken by the team, by stating that he has several options and already made his mind up a few months ago. Alonso it seems, didn't communicate his future plans with the team. As result they needed to and have taken action by signing Vettel.

A reasonable decision, after all Vettel has never been shy of stating that he wanted to drive for Ferrari and has proven himself against Alonso in two title battles.

I'm still thinking he's going down the Ferrari LMP1 route but surely they would have mentioned something about a car being built by now.

Back
Top Bottom