Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

Fernando's Ferrari Blog - 13 July, 2011:

http://www.ferrari.com/English/Scuderia/Blogs/Alonso/default.aspx

EXCERPTS:

"What a great feeling, winning again! And I’m revelling in it all the more now I’m back home in Oviedo."

"There were definitely some major improvements on the car, which mean it feels much easier to drive now and you can feel it much more stuck to the ground than before, especially in the fast corners. That means it’s got more aerodynamic downforce, which was the area where we trailed our main rivals the most...

However, I don’t think the changes to the engine mapping were a factor: we were quicker specifically at the part of the track where you practically don’t have to brake, which means it is the actual car that is going well."

"We have to be realistic, because we are 92 points behind in the classification and that is a very big gap! We will tackle the races one at a time, trying to win as many as possible. This will also involve taking a few more risks and maybe it will happen that we pay a high price for that, but there is no alternative..."

[That's my highlights in bold...RBR watch out! ;)]

Very interesting how the mood at Ferrari has changed since Montreal, with Alonso calling on a united effort to overhaul Sebs commanding lead, heck even the talk of making a stand is ambitious, I wonder if there are more modifications and the lot that will let to this belief,....then again self belief is hardly something anyone will accuse Alonso of lacking.

There are major upgrades coming through the season, Montreal was a big one, as was the one in Silverstone, I expect more.

Looks as if their new windtunnel is coming good.

If one is to be perfectly unbiased one has to say that you can't give Alonso full marks for the Hungarian meeting irrespective of his 3rd place finish.

Alonso certainly didn't extract the best out of the car in qualifying whereas you have to say that Vettel did.

Alonso's relaitvely sub-par grid positon coupled with his poor start let the Mercedes GP cars by and he went off a few times, including a spin, costing him time and position.

Vettel over-took him fair and square on lap 45 for what was P3 at the time...which became P2 after McLaren/Hamilton made a mess of what could have been a 1-2 or, at the very least, a 1-3.

Yes, Alonso got more out of it than Massa...but if you read Martin Brundle's BBC column, he cites Rob Smedley as suggesting that Massa didn't get what he could have gotten out of the car. And when your own race engineer says that, it's actually saying something.

Often, a race winner won't get a 10 out of 10 rating while someone who comes from 23rd to finish 8th will (Buemi in this case).

So, even though Alonso got 3rd here, I don't think he did as well as what was on offer for whatever reasons. The Ferrari should have had the measure of Vettel but even Alonso admitted that Vettel was very sharp and consistent.

One more race like this between the two (ALO v VET) and Nando will be without a WDC for the 5th year in a row.

If one is to be perfectly unbiased one has to say that you can't give Alonso full marks for the Hungarian meeting irrespective of his 3rd place finish.

Alonso certainly didn't extract the best out of the car in qualifying whereas you have to say that Vettel did.

Alonso's relaitvely sub-par grid positon coupled with his poor start let the Mercedes GP cars by and he went off a few times, including a spin, costing him time and position.

Vettel over-took him fair and square on lap 45 for what was P3 at the time...which became P2 after McLaren/Hamilton made a mess of what could have been a 1-2 or, at the very least, a 1-3.

Yes, Alonso got more out of it than Massa...but if you read Martin Brundle's BBC column, he cites Rob Smedley as suggesting that Massa didn't get what he could have gotten out of the car. And when your own race engineer says that, it's actually saying something.

Often, a race winner won't get a 10 out of 10 rating while someone who comes from 23rd to finish 8th will (Buemi in this case).

So, even though Alonso got 3rd here, I don't think he did as well as what was on offer for whatever reasons. The Ferrari should have had the measure of Vettel but even Alonso admitted that Vettel was very sharp and consistent.

One more race like this between the two (ALO v VET) and Nando will be without a WDC for the 5th year in a row.

Question: did you actually check the date of that post, it was made in respect of Nurn'burg not Hungary.

And in the appropriate race thread I did say it was probably his ugliest performance, and yet he still got third, mostly because he didn't panic and change tyres because a few splutters came out.

Vettel passed him with new tyres vs old supersofts, kudos....do you read this sites overtaking data, the fact that 75% of overtakes are new on old tyres, really no surprises there.

I have said that it doesn't mean that having the best car means results, but I have no doubt that Alonso in Vettels seat will be as similar massacre, tis how it goes.

Poor start, he may have had the turn 1 stick and gotten in front of a McLaren, bar the fact the track was damp so he technically lost 3 places on lack of grip being on the wet mat outside turn 1, any ways despite that he did drop the Mercedes like a bad habit so it wasn't a massive factor.

Bloody hell. My better half a couple of days ago confessed to me she fancied Alonso's eyebrows??!!! Told me she thinks he's got "fantastic eyebrows"..,. now that was one thing I didn't expect. :o

Much more of this and I'll be surfing the net for "A101 ways to make your eyebrows bushier in ten easy steps".
What's going on with the world at the moment?

I don't get this, Ferrari ditch Kimi and Ray then decides that it is Alonso that he has the beef with...

Why should I have a beef with Nando just because Kimi has no interest in F1? Both are happy what they're doing...so good for them!

Just to prove it, i've got 5 paintings of the great Spaniard in my "Artwork" thread...For a viewing of work relating to Nando go to page 5 of this thread:

http://cliptheapex.com/threads/art-...a-one-grand-prix-cars-and-drivers.3454/page-5

(Posts 86 to 89)

I haven't seen this point mentioned so i'll put it out there:

Alonso could have been a 3, 4 or even a 5-time WDC by now.

2007 - been discussed to death but suffice to say that had certain things been done differently and had people gone about things differently, Alonso could quite conceivably have beaten Raikkonen to the title. Bear in mind he only finished 1 point off the lead, and it's not as if he threw in the towel and gave up trying. If he had won the title, I don't think there's any doubt he would have stayed at McLaren for '08 and again having a car capable of vying for the title there's no doubt he would have again been right up there.
Even if '07 and the resulting return to Renault for '08 had still occurred, I seem to recall Ross Brawn making it publicly clear he wanted Alonso in the Honda (as it was still to be called for '09). No doubt he would have won in '09 in the Brawn, against either Button or Barichello.
Then again, as the saying goes, 'if my auntie had cobblers she'd be my uncle'.
The decision to return to Renault in '08 and even to stay in '09 was a strange one, in what looked like a mixture of spite against Ron Dennis/McLaren and loyalty to Renault/Briatore. Thankfully for all supporters of F1, the mindset of the 2010/2011 Alonso seems to have changed somewhat, for the better of himself, his team and his supporters. I don't support Alonso or Ferrari (especially not Ferrari), but a healthy Alonso is better for the sport than the one we saw in '08 and '09.

One thing that does need put to bed though, is this Hamilton vs Alonso garbage.
Alonso himself has always stated he has no animosity towards Hamilton, and the compliment has always been readily reciprocated. If the drivers don't 'hate' each other, then why the hell would the 'fans'? Ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom