Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

Alonso and Hamilton where never the problem, the problem was McLaren and Ron Dennis.

Nope. The problem was Lewis and Alonso. They both didn't give each other any quarter, both wanted to be top dog and both made things very difficult for the team in the way they worked together, or more to the point, didn't. The only thing McLaren did wrong was put them together in the first place. The rest was pretty inevitable. As it turns out they kept the team player and the better driver and dumped the self interested and egotistical Alonso. They then won the championship the following year.

Even if '07 and the resulting return to Renault for '08 had still occurred, I seem to recall Ross Brawn making it publicly clear he wanted Alonso in the Honda (as it was still to be called for '09). No doubt he would have won in '09 in the Brawn, against either Button or Barichello.
Then again, as the saying goes, 'if my auntie had cobblers she'd be my uncle'.
The decision to return to Renault in '08 and even to stay in '09 was a strange one, in what looked like a mixture of spite against Ron Dennis/McLaren and loyalty to Renault/Briatore

In 2008 Renault were winning grand prix's and Honda was at the bottom of the midfield, that is why I assume he stayed on, and it looked to be the right decision as it looked as if Honda wasn't going to be on the grid anymore.

In 2008 Renault were winning grand prix's and Honda was at the bottom of the midfield, that is why I assume he stayed on, and it looked to be the right decision as it looked as if Honda wasn't going to be on the grid anymore.

I had thought about that, but Brawn showed interest in August '08, and not for the first time either. At that time there was no mention of Honda not being on the grid in '09, in fact Brawn was eager to capture Alonso as he believed Honda had a good car with some "very good technological advancements" - which would later transpire to be the double diffuser. Of course no-one makes wrong decisions using hindsight.
The point I was getting at was that to me it just seemed a shame that Alonso practically wasted 2 years in what was now essentially the 4th best team behind McMerc, Ferrari and BMW Sauber, killing time until the Ferrari seat came along.

His own fault. He didn't need to blackmail Dennis in Hungary.

Hamilton got under Nando's skin and rattled him. Nando lost his cool and ran away like a chicken with his tail between his legs.

Again, Nando could have played the Hungary fuel burn phase of Q3 differently. He didn't.

Ha ha. You don't hold back, do you Ray? I completely agree with you, but that's quite brave. Assuming he had no play in the race fixing scandal, I actually felt he had redeemed himself somewhat by humbling himself at Renault, but as soon as he got to Ferrari the old beast returned and the darker side of his character re-emerged. The only reason I find it hard to hold this side of his character against him is that he makes no apologies for it. He is true to himself and there is no shame in that. When you are shameless that is.

Still one of the top two for me, ahead of Jenson and Seb.

I had thought about that, but Brawn showed interest in August '08, and not for the first time either. At that time there was no mention of Honda not being on the grid in '09, in fact Brawn was eager to capture Alonso as he believed Honda had a good car with some "very good technological advancements" - which would later transpire to be the double diffuser. Of course no-one makes wrong decisions using hindsight.
The point I was getting at was that to me it just seemed a shame that Alonso practically wasted 2 years in what was now essentially the 4th best team behind McMerc, Ferrari and BMW Sauber, killing time until the Ferrari seat came along.

He was in a winning car at the end of 2008, the car was fighting with the big two with BMW falling behind, I think he, like many others thought that Renault had more of a chance fighting for the championship than Honda did, Honda's team record itself was against them

As for Brawn saying "very good technological advancements" - I wouldn't be surprised if any midfield team says something along those lines to get a top line driver.

Nando lost his cool and ran away like a chicken with his tail between his legs

Nando's? Chicken? why am I suddenly hungry?

I have something to add to this debate:

Chickens can't put their tails between their legs. Not physically possible

That is all. Thank You.

Rasputin 'The Chicken Farmer' Lives.

He was in a winning car at the end of 2008, the car was fighting with the big two with BMW falling behind, I think he, like many others thought that Renault had more of a chance fighting for the championship than Honda did, Honda's team record itself was against them

As for Brawn saying "very good technological advancements" - I wouldn't be surprised if any midfield team says something along those lines to get a top line driver.

As i've alluded to, more than once now, no wrong decisions are made using hindsight. Renault were dire in '07, going back to them for '08 made as much sense to me as going to McLaren for '07, given that Renault were reigning double champions and McLaren were useless in '06. If you don't agree, that's cool :)

His own fault. He didn't need to blackmail Dennis in Hungary.

Hamilton got under Nando's skin and rattled him. Nando lost his cool and ran away like a chicken with his tail between his legs.

Again, Nando could have played the Hungary fuel burn phase of Q3 differently. He didn't.

Kind of agree, kind of disagree. He could have kept quiet and used Hamilton disobeying team orders in Q3 to his own end, but didn't. But then as i've said there were a lot of things that all parties could have done differently. Only he will ever know why. He was certainly taken by how quick Hamilton was, but I don't think Hamilton had anything to do with him leaving. As i said, he wasted 2 years winning 2 races when it could have been at least 2 WDCs. That was my point. Not an Alonso love-in nor a frenzied 'he only wins in the best car' bashing session. Just that. And here's me saying I wouldn't say anything else on this......:oops:

And just before the usual mob pipe up, I neither love nor loath Alonso but i'm sick of people having to justify opinions when talking about him and equally so Hamilton for that matter.

I notice all the debate is about Fernando Alonso, who, as far as i'm aware, didn't begin his F1 career this morning.

I think what sarinaide meant is that the subject of 2007 has been done to death already and that their are more fruitful conversations to be had about the here and now rather than going around in circles on a seemingly ancient time i his career. What happened, happened. t's relevence to this year's championship is slim to nil.

My original comments were never about what did or didn't happen in 2007, I couldn't have really made it much clearer. I was talking about his career, specifically the period of '07 to '09. Certain people really need to learn not to take things so personally, if they don't agree or like what I said (can't imagine why, it was simple hypothesising) I have no problem whatsoever. But i'm not going to be drawn into an argument (not a go at you by the way). Incidentally, nowhere does it say that any discussion relating to a driver or team has to relate to this season, hence my reply to Sarinaide. So I don't see what the problem is. Anyway I've said all I have to say relating to my original post in this thread, so i'll respectfully leave it at that :)

Back
Top Bottom