Favourite/Least Favourite

I'm British and I've neither liked British drivers or teams in F1.

The only driver I liked from Britain was Irvine, even then, he was Irish.

It's not that I hate Britain or anything, just can't warm to the drivers or teams, not sure why.

Favourites:

Felipe Massa - generally a nice guy
Martin Brundle - what a legend! (as a driver, not just his commentary)
Sauber - Young, up-and-coming, what more could you want?
Minardi - who didn't like them?

Least Favourites:

Lewis Hamilton - like marmite, a bit too arrogant for me
Jaques Villeneuve - random, just didn't particularly like him
Williams - The same reason as no-FIAt-please, can't put my finger on it
BAR - arrogance

To quote myself, I would switch Hamilton from one of my least favourites to favourite drivers - I've been impressed immensely by his driving and attitude in the past 2 years - I would replace Williams with Red Bull (or more specifically Horner) for being arrogant, eager to flag up any potential controversies whilst continually not practicing what they preach.

Favourites:
Kimi Raikkonen - The guy just drove flat out and couldn't care about off track topics, and gave us one of the best grid walk moments ever.
Felipe Massa - Don't really support anyone on the current grid but I have a few that I like, Massa comes out on top, reall impressed me in 2008 from his comeback after 0 points on the board after two races, he kept calm when the fuel hose happened and the engine blowing up in Hungary, in Brazil, drove the perfect race, didn't put a foot wrong, lost in a sad fashion, took it like a man.

Toro Rosso - Used to support Ferrari but after 2008 just went off them, but this team the ex-Minardi is just one of those you have to support and cheer whenever they get a point, they are even currently beating Williams!

BMW Sauber - A great team shame that they left, their rise to the top in the space of 3 years is rarely ever talked about, but it was really impressive, they achieved/exceeded their goals every season bar 2009, I was not happy with what they did halfway through 2008, but I saw the logic, hindsight now shows that they should have went on. Disappointing season in 2009....then quit :disappointed:

Least Favourites:
Mark Webber - Just for his 2010 season bad mouthing the team, and the wing-gate, for a wing which he didn't even want as he liked the old one, created a big fuss over nothing. Then has the cheek to come out in Brazil saying the team are not backing and should back him fully, he should be thankful that his car hasn't been breaking down when it's leading unlike his team-mates.

I can't find a least favourite from the past, most of the least favourites are current ones...

Nigel Mansell - whinge whinge whine moan moan complain. Then go back and whinge some more. Dull, boring, a voice that could put you to sleep. Overhyped...

McLaren/Williams - I can't quite place my finger on why I dislike them, think it's the major hypocrisy displayed by both, yet they are loved, while the others are hated.

Toyota - Don't know why I am putting them here is not a past team that I disliked, so I kind of randomly plucked this team up as they seemed dull, could have won races in 2009 if they had front running drivers, failed to deliver, first time when I saw this team in the build up when they first joined, they looked promising, their livery was nice, but...heh....meh

Thought I would change mine:

Favourites are still the same, although one change and I'm surprised he's not on the list.

Sebastien Buemi - I was impressed by his first two races, especially how he was several seconds of the pace in his first practice session.

Toro Rosso is not a favourite anymore but I still like to see them get points.

I quite like Lotus/Renaultbut I didn't like their behaviour in 2011, and they shoot themselves in the foot too much.

Least Favourite:

Fernando Alonso - as much as I admire the guys talent, it's just the amount of stuff he spouts, and how everything he does that isn't even special is praised and overhyped, was warming to him in 2007/2009.

Jenson Button/di Resta - both in the same mould, quick to whinge

Sergio Perez - never seems to be at fault

Don't really have a team that strikes out to be the least favourite.

Red Bull maybe, full of complainers, from the principal, to the advisor, to the drivers.

Just goes to show how one man's meat is another man's poison, doesn't it? I always disliked Irvine intensely, not because of anything to do with his nationality but because he always seemed such an opinionated twat with average talent.

But then I've always preferred the quiet, understated (some might say boring, but I don't) types: Steve Davies not Hurricane Higgins, Borg not McEnroe, Damon Hill not Schumacher. One notable exception for me would be Senna over Prost. Oh, and Lewis Hamilton over Jenson Button.

Olivier

Irvine drove for Eddie Jordan I think in junior categories at some point

EJ had to make a quick decision about a second driver for Japanese GP as Boutsen retired after Capelli quit and then Naspetti was given 3 races to prove himself

Irvine did make some headlines first grand prix for his audacity and got banned after his 3rd race

- he did say what he wanted except about Ferrari politics..he was more interested in chasing women than being a grand prix driver until he won a race and it upsetted the Schumacher plan

- I remember it was like Jordan announced they had him for 1996 then a few days later he was signed by Ferrari

Back
Top Bottom