F1 2023

interesting that seemingly they havent confirmed exactly the format for baku which is a month away

Discussions have continued within the FIA over the Australian GP weekend and the final details have yet to be decided. One plan is for Friday's FP1 session to be followed by a qualifying session for Sunday's main race. On Saturday, the previously redundant and unpopular FP2 session would be replaced by qualifying for the sprint later that day. However, an alternative version with sprint qualifying on Friday and race qualifying on Saturday is also still being discussed.

It will be impossible to run two complete, three-part qualifying sessions in the usual format with drivers using new tyres in both. Teams have to give back two sets after FP1 and then typically they would use four sets of softs in Friday's race qualifying session. If both the Friday and Saturday qualifying sessions are run in the normal format, teams could run used tyres in the latter.

However, an alternative option that has been mooted is a form of one-lap qualifying, which was used with varying degrees of success in 2003-'5, and which would involve less tyre usage. The logistical challenge of getting the revised rules checked by the SAC members and then sent to the F1 Commission and onto the World Motor Sport Council for final approval in time for Baku could prove insurmountable.

However, if it can't be done, the new format could be introduced at the next sprint event in Austria in the summer.

its looking pretty official that all teams have agreed (which is a novelty) & in all 6 sprint races. we will have following schedule.

Friday - FP1 - Race Qualifying
Saturday - Sprint Qualifying - Sprint Race
Sunday - Race

which i think is an improvement. although we cant deny that Sprint races have been terrible but theyve all lead to very memorable races. that we wouldn't have with a regular race. i like the potential 1 shot Qualifying for Saturday. as i think it would only alteration to Q3 i would make so that we always see pole lap & you have can the climax every time. instead of it getting lost in everything & only seeing the last 20 secs

I'm a fairly die-hard fan and even I can't be bothered to watch qualifying when there's a sprint race, so I'm even less likely to watch 2 qualifying sessions.

Friday - FP1 - Race Qualifying
Saturday - Sprint Qualifying - Sprint Race
Sunday - Race
I'm very confused, there are now two qualifying sessions, one for the sprint race and one for the race race? So what then is the point of the sprint race? It's just another race? So do we now have a Sprint Race World Championship as well as a Race Race World Championship?

What utter bollocks.

I'm very confused, there are now two qualifying sessions, one for the sprint race and one for the race race? So what then is the point of the sprint race? It's just another race? So do we now have a Sprint Race World Championship as well as a Race Race World Championship?

What utter bollocks.
i think that is spot on, i believe we will have Verstappen a driver crowned as sprint champion crowned at the end of 6 races. they say it will make the sprint better as they can go full attack as there are no conquences for taking a risk

I'm very confused
Glad I wasn't the only one.

as they can go full attack
Ah, so this is this seasons excuse for not being able to go on 'full attack'. What an absolute load of horse hockey. If I hear one more statement from F1 saying why they would no be able to go on full attack I think I'll shit a lung.

They're not going to go any fuller in attack than they need to on a Saturday for a nonsuch trophy if it means the car will be in bits on a Sunday and cost them a world title.

This makes the sprint race almost irrelevant and still means the ants will qualify 2x2 on Friday. With Red Bull oops, I mean the fastest driver on pole for the main race.

Well they signed up to it.

I wonder if RBR were reminded that the whole cost cap thing could be looked at again if that would help to make their minds up.

Red Bull ain't happy about it
only verstappen has publicly come out against it.

but i guess im still expecting it to be underwhelming although baku could make it entertaining like F2. but i guess it says alot that im most excited for the potential 1 lap qualifying

I think it is a typo. They meant to say they will be bringing a new 'flaw'.
well thats the thing the with ferrari i know that rising of the floor did effect them but they started with the quickest car 18 months ago & its as they know how to build a quick car but clueless at how to develop it because it just feels as if theyve slid backwards since

Just a thought...

With the cost caps now in place, would it be worth changing parc ferme rules?

I had a thought that you could set up the cars for race and quality separately, with confirmed set ups being locked down at different times, e.g. teams to confirm set up for the race after fp2, then for quali it can be whatever they want, as long as the set up changes are made within the curfew times? It may make things more interesting, as quali at the moment is a compromise.

What links 2018-19 Rugby Premier League and European Cup Champions, Saracens RFC, 2022-23 Premier league, Champions League and FA Cup Winners, Manchester City and 2022 Formula 1 Drivers and Constructor title winners and the winners of every one of the 10 races so far this season, Red Bull Racing?

:thinking:

Back
Top Bottom