F1 2023

Impressive reliability from all concerned after the first day of testing.

It would seem no team has really struggled today.

As usual, testing times generally mean very little and even less so on day one so we can't read too much into it yet.

yeah very good reliability says how good these teams have become now that Haas were disappointed at only doing a whole race distance on day 1

i cant back it up with any stats but i just have a bad feeling about McLaren this year. but hopefully it will be a reverse of last year that looked quick & wasnt

The full list, courtesy of the BBC

Fastest times from day one of pre-season testing 2023

1 Max Verstappen (Ned) Red Bull 1:32.837 seconds
2 Fernando Alonso (Spa) Aston Martin 1:32.866
3 Carlos Sainz (Spa) Ferrari 1:33.253
4 Charles Leclerc (Mon) Ferrari 1:33.267
5 Lando Norris (GB) McLaren 1:33.462
6 Lewis Hamilton (GB) Mercedes 1:33.508
7 Alex Albon (Tha) Williams 1:33.671 *
8 Zhou Guanyu (Chi) Alfa Romeo 1:33.723
9 George Russell (GB) Mercedes 1:34.174
10 Logan Sargeant (USA) Williams 1:34.324
11 Nico Hulkenberg (Ger) Haas 1:34.424
12 Valtteri Bottas (Fin) Alfa Romeo 1:34.558
13 Nyck De Vries (Ned) Alpha Tauri 1:34.559
14 Felipe Drugovich (Bra) Aston Martin 1:34.564
15 Yuki Tsunoda (Jpn) Alpha Tauri 1:34.671
16 Pierre Gasly (Fra) Alpine 1:34.822
17 Esteban Ocon (Fra) Alpine 1:34.871
18 Oscar Piastri (Aus) McLaren 1:34.888
19 Kevin Magnussen (Den) Haas 1:35.087

* = time set on softer C5 tyre; all other times on mid-range C3 tyre

IMG_20230224_125030.jpg

watching teds notebook & im concerned by lando Norris quote i heard "where we start wont necessarily be where we finish" that screams to me "out in Q1"

watching teds notebook & im concerned by lando Norris quote i heard "where we start wont necessarily be where we finish" that screams to me "out in Q1"
McLaren are being very open that they haven’t hit their targets for 2023…. I’m guessing it‘ll be another year in the midfield to back.

McLaren are being very open that they haven’t hit their targets for 2023…. I’m guessing it‘ll be another year in the midfield to back.
not alot of positivity coming out of that car so far. which Lando Norris i can see trying to target that 2nd red bull seat next season. he isnt going to be enthused by a team thats going backwards & this is his 5th season in F1.

if i was to guess orders
Red Bull
Ferrari
Mercedes
Aston Martin
Alpine
Haas
McLaren
AlphaTauri
Williams
Sauber

Major rule change.
One team hits the sweet spot
Multiple world titles
Major rule change
A different team hits the sweet spot
Multiple world titles

Rinse and repeat.

Major rule change.
One team hits the sweet spot
Multiple world titles
Major rule change
A different team hits the sweet spot
Multiple world titles

Rinse and repeat.
there lightweight chassis was big thing but apparently there pain is yet to come & wont hit them til after summer break & 2024.

but red bull weren't dominating like Mercedes or vettel, they were just taking advantage of Ferrari failings & if you discount their huge errors & unreliability. he was only 20pts off.

As part of an effort to reduce the number of tyres that are brought to grands prix, at 2 races this year an experiment will take place for a new qualifying format.

Drivers will be forced to use hard tyres in Q1, mediums in Q2 and then softs in Q3. If any of the sessions are declared wet, then tyre choice will become free.
Under the experiment, drivers will have access to 3 sets of hards, 4 sets of medium & 4 sets of softs for the entire weekend

The plan is to have 6 sets of tyres available for qualifying, & 5 to juggle between free practice & the race.

Last edited:
To what end? To improve the "sustainability" of a sport which is in no way sustainable? To reduce the cost of an already ridiculously expensive sport?

Either F1 is the pinnacle of motor sport and they stop paying lip service to environmental considerations, or they move F1 to be an all electric series which has a zero carbon footprint.

To what end? To improve the "sustainability" of a sport which is in no way sustainable? To reduce the cost of an already ridiculously expensive sport?

Either F1 is the pinnacle of motor sport and they stop paying lip service to environmental considerations, or they move F1 to be an all electric series which has a zero carbon footprint.
apparently it means that they can bring 11 sets not 13 sets of dry tyres & that i guess does add up to the equivalent of sets of tyres for 3 drivers

but what kind of environmental impact that has. surely stopping taking inters & full wets. to Bahrain, Saudi, Qatar & Abu Dhabi would be better. as only F1 would take wet tyres to the desert & save transport 480 sets of tyres to them destinations

If we park the sustainability nonsense the idea is bloody stupid from a qualifying point of view. At the moment teams near the front use a harder compound in Q1 because they can afford to while those scraping in the midfield can afford to risk a softer compound to try and make it into Q2. Forcing all teams to use the same compound in each session guarantees the lower ranked teams have almost no chance of getting out of Q1/Q2.

If they insist on this rule then it should be modified so that teams still get two hards, two mediums and two softa and must only use one type per session and use all three types but they can choose which sessions they use which type in.

The slower teams will almost certainly go soft, medium, hard while the quicker teams will go hard, medium, soft.

This just eliminates the element of surprise because the front runners go on hard and get complacent so a mid and back of end team sneak in.

cider_and_toast thats the issue isnt it they are constantly trying to refresh qualifying because we have had it for 17 years now. not knowing that its as good as probally going to be, but i assume this will go as well as knockout qualifying of 2018? & never hear of it again. there are many things of F1 that needs changing but qualifying is 1 of the last on the list

personally i would change Q3 for a bit more drama either have the Formula e knockout competition or change Q3 to have 1 lap qualifying in reverse Q2 order

Back
Top Bottom