Ecclestone wants to impose V8s in F1 for 2016

What do you think about the present engine (turbo V6 1,6)?

• The present turbo V6 1,6 is good

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • The present turbo V6 1,6 is not good but need to leave

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • The present turbo V6 1,6 is not good and need to be changed

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
It's interesting that people say F1 has become an engineer's championship since the engines make the difference now. However arguably before this it was an aerodynamicist's championship which is why the team that owned Newey owned the championship.

At least with the new model both engineers and aerodynamicists make a difference.

The only way to have a true drivers championship is to have standardized cars - single chassis, single engine. Fans don't seem to want this because its at odds with F1 being the pinnacle of automotive tech, and also Fans like manufacturers.

Last edited:
That's not a bad idea. I that scenario we are fine with V8s being allowed as long as fuel levels and burn rates stay as is.

Good luck to the V8 cars attempting to finish the race!
Don't underestimate the engineers. Let's say they ran the old V10's and used all that extra power to charge a battery or spin up a flywheel. They could use max power to get to the front then just coast to the end using fuel economy mode and battery/flywheel power to assist.

That's not a bad idea. I that scenario we are fine with V8s being allowed as long as fuel levels and burn rates stay as is.

Good luck to the V8 cars attempting to finish the race!

Hence my suggestion of Audi, they, Merc, BMW, Ferrari and a few others are still in the process of producing road going V8s. Audi produce a 4.0V8 turbo which set as a standard road engine can produce 450ps and get 30mpg combined using some very clever technology over reducing usage of cylinders when it is not needed. I know it is not is direct relationship but if you look at a 3.0V6 turbo producing 500ps without the clever tech, it is only getting between 10 and 15mpg.

Audi have a way of being able to produce powerful engines with good fuel saving tech, but they are concentrating that tech on their V8 engines at present as this is their large income world wide.

And as for the costs of joining F1, as an engine supplier and not a team there is a possibility of gaining a profit at the end of the run if they can get stable regulations on the engines, plus the advertising is worth it alone, and their biggest challenge at present is in the US market and any advertising they can get for high performance cars is well worth it at present (Plus the average car buyer doesn't realise that if they buy an Audi A3 diesel they are really getting a rebranded golf with a few more toys).

Hence my suggestion of Audi, they, Merc, BMW, Ferrari and a few others are still in the process of producing road going V8s. Audi produce a 4.0V8 turbo which set as a standard road engine can produce 450ps and get 30mpg combined using some very clever technology over reducing usage of cylinders when it is not needed. I know it is not is direct relationship but if you look at a 3.0V6 turbo producing 500ps without the clever tech, it is only getting between 10 and 15mpg.

Audi have a way of being able to produce powerful engines with good fuel saving tech, but they are concentrating that tech on their V8 engines at present as this is their large income world wide.

And as for the costs of joining F1, as an engine supplier and not a team there is a possibility of gaining a profit at the end of the run if they can get stable regulations on the engines, plus the advertising is worth it alone, and their biggest challenge at present is in the US market and any advertising they can get for high performance cars is well worth it at present (Plus the average car buyer doesn't realise that if they buy an Audi A3 diesel they are really getting a rebranded golf with a few more toys).

That tech isn't innovative on the part of Audi. It was invented by GM and has been in Cadillac V8s for over two decades.

Back
Top Bottom