Driver Numbers

Maybe the driver with the most dosh can buy the number he wants after all isn't that how formula one works these days?

I'm sure Bernie wouldn't be opposed to taking a shifty back 'ander to make sure it 'appens...

Last edited:
Something dawned on me when making the table - who gets priority between the rookies (currently Magnussen and Kyvat) if they want the same number?

The fairest way would be seniority wouldn't it WDC's getting first choice that kind of thing and maybe what the number means to some of them maybe JB will go with the number he ran when he won 34 races out of 34 in the 1991 British Cadet Kart Championship I think it may have been 14 but I'm not sure.

sushifiesta - I presume it will go in Constructors Championship order, I.e. KMag first as he's at McLaren, then the Russians.

But, having said that, that would be sensible and thus anti-Ecclestonian as a principle.

Magnusen won 3.5 which is a higher series than GP3 which Kyvat won so technically our Kev should get first choice.

However GP3 is a Bernie series and 3.5 ain't so it would prob be Danny.

I think this much ado about nothing, given that you can't see the numbers on the car anyway. It would only amount to something if the FIA mandated numeral roundels the size that prevailed in the 60s.

I have found the the answer for you sushifiesta

the number selection process will be done as originally proposed, with drivers getting to choose in the order in which they finished in the 2013 Championship.

http://grandprix247.com/2013/12/13/...ich-numbers-and-how-the-new-system-will-work/

The deadline set by FIA requires drivers to submit their number choices before Christmas, and already drivers are showing interest with newly signed Force India driver Sergio Perez targeting number 11, and Toro Rosso’s Jean-Eric Vergne shortlisting the iconic number 27 along with 25 and 21 – number 27 - forever linked with F1 legends Gilles Villeneuve and Ayrton Senna.

Felipe Massa is keen on number 19 while Valterri Bottas wrote on Twitter: “So been thinking about racing number for my F1 career. I heard BO77AS already, any other ideas?

Looks like Bottas is looking for ideas from his fans but the 77 idea is crap and 27 will be gone long before Vergne gets a look in...

Last edited:
Thanks, I had seen that but I was wondering what they'll do about drivers who weren't in the 2013 championship, e.g. rookies coming in for 2014.

They will probably get last choice but in what order goodness knows maybe in order of their finishing positions in the series they are leaving it is doubtful they will all chose the same number though.

Ballot just means a secret choice right? It doesn't mean that the FIA are picking numbers for everyone at random. The particular "ballot" procedure for choosing the numbers is pretty well documented and confirmed elsewhere. Having said that some of the drivers have already made sure their choices aren't secret...

Back
Top Bottom