CTA Race of the Year 2015

Yes something like that. There were some polls that had an 11 or a 0 which I just counted as 1/10 or 10/10 to make a fair comparison, but that Monaco poll is too different to be able to include it.

Looking back at it, it went from -5 to +8 (but with no 6 or 7...). I could count all the votes for scores below 1 out of 10 as 1 out of 10, but I'm sure you'd get a completely different result to what it would have been if it was a normal 1 to 10 poll.

For the record, if I just take the poll as it is the score is 0.5 out of 10. If I count all the votes below 1 as 1 out of 10, the score would be 1.9 out of 10. I suspect the real score would have been something like 3 out of 10 if it had been a normal poll.

As I recall, Tacitus asked to vote 8 because it had crashes. Also iirc, I voted -3, which could well have been 3/10 in a proper vote, but I can't assume that everyone else had the same manners.

If I were you sushifiesta in order to get Monaco 2011 on the board I would view the poll as the lowest rating being 1 out of 10 and work upwards. Any of them above 10 (10 would be 4 by count) would count as 10. It would not be 100% accurate but would basically work out the same as if people had only been given the 1 - 10 option.

Just an idea.

I would add 5 to the scores, to allow the min to be 0, then take the mean of the scores, scale it back to make it a rating based on 10 options (* by 0.87 I think if there are 13 options compared to the normal 10).

I think that would do it.

There are lots of things I could try but I don't think any of them will get you closer to the "correct" answer than guess work. The methods you're suggesting would work if people were only influenced by the relative position of the options in the poll and not the actual value associated with each option. Would someone who gave the race 3 out of 10 really have given it 7 or 8 out of 10 if the option had been available, for example? I'm not sure I believe that can be true.

Make it clear that responses have to be an integer, minimum 0 maximum 10, all other entries to be null and void. In this case all invalid numbers.

I only started CTA race of the year in 2013 so any races before that I've had to dig around the bowels of the forum to extract scores from old polls. There was no reason not to create a poll with different options for a bit of a laugh before that.

My decision was to not include it in any of the results. I can easily be convinced to attach an arbitrary score to the race via either blackmail or bribes, depending on your preference, but I won't be adding it otherwise.

And let's just make sure all the polls go from 1 to 10 so that we don't have to have another page and a half of discussion about it...

Back
Top Bottom